Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 07:15 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,330,009 times

Advertisements

While I'm usually very successful at digging info out of everyone on here, I seem to be doing a bad job in the Pennsylvania department! So let's try it this way. Who here is a transplant from New Jersey to NEPA?! I am willing to hear from anyone in the area, but mainly Milford area. When did you "transplant", where to, why, did you bring kids with you, how are they handling the transfer, how do you like it, is it expensive, are the people nice, how about the schools and children in the school system, etc? I want to hear your "dreams come true" and/or "horror stories"!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 08:31 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,349,141 times
I'm a transplant from Central NJ to Scranton. I was single when I moved here, got married. raised 2 kids, divorced, etc. It's a nice area to raise a family but, after 37 years, I'm still considered an outsider.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:35 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
I'm a transplant from Central NJ to Scranton. I was single when I moved here, got married. raised 2 kids, divorced, etc. It's a nice area to raise a family but, after 37 years, I'm still considered an outsider.
I live in Northern Luzerne County, and when I talk about my ideas to help improve Scranton people deem me an "outsider" even though I only live a few miles outside of the city. People in NEPA are very provincial.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:07 AM

Yeah, I seem to be hearing that about a lot of places. Except Jersey. But then again, maybe that is why so many of us want to leave Jersey, we're not "territorial" enough. I don't know. I can't imagine PA being worse than what they say about Mainers lol. Supposedly you have to be about 3 generations deep before they consider you one of them (however, everyone I've ever met there is so nice) or down south where I've been in the North Carolina forum and have heard bashing like we don't even do in Jersey!

Old 08-15-2008, 09:23 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,349,141 times
The one thing I've noticed about the "Scranton born and raised" locals is that they blame the crime in the area on people from NJ and NY. Granted there are some undesireables from NJ and NY but we're not the unlawful people Scrantonians make us out to be. I'm not familiar with residents of Wilkes-Barre (no, I don't want to argue about the right pronunciation LOL) so I'm only speaking of Scrantonians.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:01 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
While I'm usually very successful at digging info out of everyone on here, I seem to be doing a bad job in the Pennsylvania department! So let's try it this way. Who here is a transplant from New Jersey to NEPA?! I am willing to hear from anyone in the area, but mainly Milford area. When did you "transplant", where to, why, did you bring kids with you, how are they handling the transfer, how do you like it, is it expensive, are the people nice, how about the schools and children in the school system, etc? I want to hear your "dreams come true" and/or "horror stories"!!!!!!!
Well, I transplanted in 1995. From my entire life of living in New Jersey.
My parents and brother were already living here, so we came to visit often, and alway visited the Flea Market on 209 during fall weekends.

I first transplanted to Penn Estates and it was a nice peaceful place, with lakes and a quiet pool, beach.........but that was soon to change as the years went on. We would choose, along with our neighbors, to revert back to living as we did in NJ with our own lot, in a nice area.......Just a tad of decent rules on the deed. This we like!

My taxes are actually more then I ever paid in Sussex County, NJ......or for that matter my Morris Cty. taxes ( but that goes back)
I always found the PA people to be so friendly, down to earth, enjoyable.
Someone would wave to you out of no where, and the waitresses would stop to chat for a spell also. More relaxed, more comforting, then in NJ.

I have seen, and met ,some wonderful kids in the Pleasant Valley School district. I have just never heard a complaint at all. Such smiling, happy kids abodes well for this area of the West End.

Yes, our dream did come true.........We love PA. These mountains and lakes will call you home when you stray far away. The spaciousness of everything. The many events, festivals and happenings........so many things to keep you busy. You can ski, kayak, motor boat, hike, picnic, swim, head to a Water Park, golf, go see the many falls, flea markets, antique shops.......We just have it all..

Horror story...........hummm...........Well the huge bear that was at our back door in Penn Estates. Now, I mean huge. There was one other huge one roaming around, and one small one by the daughters car, just before she was headed there to go to work...

Right now, all I have is bunnies........so I think we're quite safe and sound.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:10 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,130,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Well, I transplanted in 1995. From my entire life of living in New Jersey.
My parents and brother were already living here, so we came to visit often, and alway visited the Flea Market on 209 during fall weekends.

I first transplanted to Penn Estates and it was a nice peaceful place, with lakes and a quiet pool, beach.........but that was soon to change as the years went on. We would choose, along with our neighbors, to revert back to living as we did in NJ with our own lot, in a nice area.......Just a tad of decent rules on the deed. This we like!

My taxes are actually more then I ever paid in Sussex County, NJ......or for that matter my Morris Cty. taxes ( but that goes back)
I always found the PA people to be so friendly, down to earth, enjoyable.
Someone would wave to you out of no where, and the waitresses would stop to chat for a spell also. More relaxed, more comforting, then in NJ.

I have seen, and met ,some wonderful kids in the Pleasant Valley School district. I have just never heard a complaint at all. Such smiling, happy kids abodes well for this area of the West End.

Yes, our dream did come true.........We love PA. These mountains and lakes will call you home when you stray far away. The spaciousness of everything. The many events, festivals and happenings........so many things to keep you busy. You can ski, kayak, motor boat, hike, picnic, swim, head to a Water Park, golf, go see the many falls, flea markets, antique shops.......We just have it all..

Horror story...........hummm...........Well the huge bear that was at our back door in Penn Estates. Now, I mean huge. There was one other huge one roaming around, and one small one by the daughters car, just before she was headed there to go to work...

Right now, all I have is bunnies........so I think we're quite safe and sound.
I actually saw a bear....for the.....first....time...last week coming back from tunkhannock....on rte...6....it was medium size and came out of the woods to the side....of the....road....

Old 08-15-2008, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,982 times
looking forward to moving to Dallas PA in 2009

Old 08-15-2008, 10:12 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,130,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbillw View Post
looking forward to moving to Dallas PA in 2009
What made you decide on Dallas coming from NJ? Did you check out the other
surrounding area's in NEPA.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the laugh, Summering! While I'm sure I would've wet my pants, I'd much rather have that for a horror story than....hmmm, let's see, watching the kids hide behind the building right next door to me pass around a joint and a 40oz. while graffiting on the wall and peeing in the bushes. Or overhearing a kid at the park (which is practically my backyard) talking about how his gang initiation was "getting beaten into the gang". Not that those things can't happen anywhere, but that's what I see sitting outside during this lovely summertime. Bears on the otherhand, while scary, intimidating and potentially very dangerous, will 9 out of 10 times ignore you if you ignore them. Or so they say, I'm not in a rush to find out lol, but I would imagine I'd rather film that than the idiots outside my door.

As for your taxes, I'm quite sure they must be higher than Sussex County, as Sussex seems to be very low, generally speaking. However, I'm in Essex County, you don't get much higher taxes than that, except for maybe Bergen County. And trust me, you're not getting any special piece of property with those high taxes, you can still see your neighbor cooking in her kitchen if you're looking out yours. You want large property, than basically you're looking at $10,000-$15,000 a year in taxes. And you still don't even get fresh air with that price, just your usual smog!! No thanks!

Thanks for your input, much appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania