Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 11:28 AM

30,526 posts, read 16,222,191 times

Advertisements

This one I know is in Tioga county.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 05:31 PM

another old one. a gas well burning off in Bradford county. Still going through some moldy oldy shots.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:33 PM

out my back window when I lived in Bradford Co.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:35 PM

another fog shot

Old 09-13-2015, 03:53 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Great pics again! That old house is interesting. I looks like it had no insulation; which was common years ago. The hand laid foundation is also interesting to note. I really liked the boards installed on the top, left, window. While they took the time to trim to size the ones on the bottom, left, window; they left the high ones untrimmed. It is interesting to see and guess why people did what they did.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:06 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Nice pics, hippo.

Fish, I'm trying to guess why they boarded the windows on the left and the right ones remain uncovered. ???

Old 09-13-2015, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Nice pics, hippo.

Fish, I'm trying to guess why they boarded the windows on the left and the right ones remain uncovered. ???
I'm guessing that the left windows broke and they had boards - but no glass? Years ago, what we now take for granted, was not always available. That house looks isolated; perhaps it was a long trip by horse to the hardware store or, perhaps they did not have the funds to buy glass?

Old 09-13-2015, 07:12 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I'm guessing that the left windows broke and they had boards - but no glass? Years ago, what we now take for granted, was not always available. That house looks isolated; perhaps it was a long trip by horse to the hardware store or, perhaps they did not have the funds to buy glass?
Both plausible assumptions. Strange, the upper half of both of the windows on the right look newer. Wonder if they were cannibalized from the left side after breakage there? If only the walls could talk...

Old 09-13-2015, 10:20 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Great pics again! That old house is interesting. I looks like it had no insulation; which was common years ago. The hand laid foundation is also interesting to note. I really liked the boards installed on the top, left, window. While they took the time to trim to size the ones on the bottom, left, window; they left the high ones untrimmed. It is interesting to see and guess why people did what they did.
The walls of my mother's house were put together that way. From the inside out: plaster and lath, diagonal boards, vertical boards, then clapboards. I remember that the electrician had to use a chisel so that he could get modern outlet boxes in the kitchen.

The deed indicates that the house was built in 1926, but that's either incorrect or there was a different house on the property before that one was built. When we moved there in 1970, my mother was looking through the house papers, and said she hadn't realized that it was nearly one hundred years old. Maybe the houses were renumbered at some point?

The houses on one side have enough room for a driveway and walk. The house on the other side is so close that you could lean out of a window and touch it. It was obviously shoehorned into that spot between two older homes.

This is where she lived: James Harvey Smethers (1857 - 1922) - Find A Grave Memorial

Old 09-13-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The walls of my mother's house were put together that way. From the inside out: plaster and lath, diagonal boards, vertical boards, then clapboards. I remember that the electrician had to use a chisel so that he could get modern outlet boxes in the kitchen.

The deed indicates that the house was built in 1926, but that's either incorrect or there was a different house on the property before that one was built. When we moved there in 1970, my mother was looking through the house papers, and said she hadn't realized that it was nearly one hundred years old. Maybe the houses were renumbered at some point?

The houses on one side have enough room for a driveway and walk. The house on the other side is so close that you could lean out of a window and touch it. It was obviously shoehorned into that spot between two older homes.

This is where she lived: James Harvey Smethers (1857 - 1922) - Find A Grave Memorial
Interesting reading. Now on the bottom of that page, in the link, James had twelve death certificates, two birth certificates, five marriage licenses and eight divorces! He must have been pretty ambitious!

By the way; I had a good friend named Smithers. Also a very interesting character. Before the advent of the automobile head counters (the old census takers) would ride their horse to your farm/residence and verbally take down you information - they did not write it down until they returned home. So there is a possibility that Smithers and Smethers share a distant relative. My last name they really butchered with many different spellings. This recording information back at the office/home could also explain discrepancies on deeds and other official documentation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania