Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:39 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,642,219 times

Advertisements

If there is an operating problem with the current situation, it's Mandalay at the root of it, and not the local people working there. Given a little more freedom, I think they would have the place packed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 09:41 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
I'm just a Wilkes-Barrian sticking my nose where it doesn't belong, but among all the post I've read touting where is should go, and the bennefits of putting it downtown, and rainbows and fairy tales where everyone lives happily ever after. no one seems to be mentioning the big white elephant in the room...which would be... THE STADIUM WE ALREADY HAVE AND THE TEAM WE ALREADY HAVE ARE ONLY 19 YEARS OLD!!!, AND HAS BEEN OPERATING IN THE RED ALMOST THE ENTIRE TIME!!! THEY CANNOT ATTRACT PEOPLE TO THE GAMES NOW. I'm sorry but prove to me that our current team can turn a profit before even considering a new stadium. This is so much more about Scranton's image then it is about actual need and capacity. It would be one thing if the team was so successful that they didn't have enough seats at the current facility, so they really need a new stadium to handle the demand, BUT THIS IS NOT THE CASE!!! Like I said if you guys want a new money pit stadium up there so bad, then start a few thousand fund raisers, as a Pa. taxpayer, I DO NOT want to contribute one nickel towards this Bankrupcy in the making. And those pictures of the downtown Buffalo facility were nice, but the first thing I noticed was that all the seats were filled... it's a wee bit different at PNC Field were they can't give the tickets away, let alone sell out a bunch of games. It's just a bad idea. If Scranton wants it so bad, then let them fund it entirely on thier own.
By the way... I don't want to come off as anti-progress, or anti-Scranton. For example, I love The Medical College idea and support it 100%, I think it will bring the whole region up a notch, there is demand for it, and it will raise our areas education levels. That's a good idea. The new stadium... very bad idea on every level.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:45 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
By the way... I don't want to come off as anti-progress, or anti-Scranton. For example, I love The Medical College idea and support it 100%, I think it will bring the whole region up a notch, there is demand for it, and it will raise our areas education levels. That's a good idea. The new stadium... very bad idea on every level.
They're opening a branch campus of the medical school in Downtown Wilkes-Barre as well. That will be four campuses downtown---King's, Wilkes, LCCC's Corporate Learning Center, and the satellite campus of the Commonwealth Medical College. Wilkes-Barre truly CAN become a college town!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:15 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
If there is an operating problem with the current situation, it's Mandalay at the root of it, and not the local people working there. Given a little more freedom, I think they would have the place packed.
I don't know about that either. Personally, I think the problem is baseball itself. I find it to be as boring as watching golf (that's just my opinion). It's played in the summertime, when people have better things to do then sit in a sweltering stadium for three hours, and alot of games are during the day when most people are at work. And The Yankees is the most decisive team on Earth!! You either love them or you hate them there is no middle ground! Where as a team like the Red Barrons, everyone can kind of get behind them as "our team". Yankees will only attract Yankee fans. I think Hockey has been so successful in Wilkes-Barre, because W-B really needed something to support (a hero if you will), and they embraced the team from the get go, the marketing of the team was, and still is top notch, it's a fast paced, high contact sport with fights, and alot of action, and, "most importantly", it's played in the cold winter months when people have cabin fever, and are looking for any reason to get out of the house, and going to a game is an exciting good time on a cold boring night. I speak out of experience. The Pioneers (arena football team) on the other hand don't do nearly as well, because arena football just isn't football to "football purist", and once again, it's played in the summertime when people have better outdoorsy type things to do, then sit at a game for a few hours. That's my opinion anyway.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:36 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
Quote:
it's a fast paced, high contact sport with fights, and alot of action

Its a sad commentary on our society when this is what people look for in sports anymore. I appreciate the sport and strategy of baseball. I don't need to constantly see some guys asserting their "manhood" by getting into fights with other supposed grown adults. People seem to have an increasing need for speed, contact, and violence anymore. Probably explains why Ultimate Fighting or "UFC" has gained popularity. That's why people cheer for a fight in hockey....when a majority of people cheer for the fights, its apparent they probably never played hockey themselves and don't really know much about the game itself.

Baseball is still America's pasttime to me and will always be my favorite sport. I like football too....but its second to baseball. And hockey, to me, is like watching paint dry....right up there with NASCAR and golf. Something about toothless Canadians on ice skates chasing a puck that is not exciting to me. Maybe I would feel differently if I had ever actually played hockey....which I'm sure the majority of WB/S Pens fans never have.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:41 PM

You're also talking about the same metro area where 5,000 people will show up for a high school football game on a Friday evening half-inebriated, even though 60% of them have no children in the district while arts/cultural events that are free at these very same high schools and are open to the public garner perhaps a few dozen attendees, mostly grandparents. That's a sad commentary on the intellect of our area. If you're over the age of 40 and have no children in the school district, then what would compel you to go to a HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL GAME unless you're a pervert or just have no social life whatsoever? The best are the upstanding "parents" who set a fine example for the younger siblings of some of the players on the field when they shout obscenities at the opposing team's players.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:48 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
I have seen old ladies heckling the other team at Valley View games. The worst behaved people at these HS games are the adults, not the kids. Its pathetic. What is wrong with people when grown adults are sitting in the stands yelling at 16 year old kids playing a game?

Old 09-09-2008, 10:48 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I was at Cruefest last week.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
I have seen old ladies heckling the other team at Valley View games. The worst behaved people at these HS games are the adults, not the kids. Its pathetic. What is wrong with people when grown adults are sitting in the stands yelling at 16 year old kids playing a game?
I suppose it beats showing up at City Hall and heckling the council members.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:47 AM

904 posts, read 2,055,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I've just started to draw in the boundaries of a few select city neighborhoods on Wikimapia. Check it out.
Cool, I threw a couple more in there. Will add others when I can...

Anyone, What's that area around Railroad Ave considered, btw? Part of Hyde Park, Bellevue, the Flats, something else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania