Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 07:55 PM

193 posts, read 542,656 times

Advertisements

Okay so this is the first time in about five days that i have had a chance to get on the forum.
Can you believe i had no electricty for 4 days. It's amazing how creative you get when you have no electricty. I was cooking on the barbuque and heating the house with the wood fireplace and taking showers at friends houses. I am definitly need to look into getting a generator. I have read some comments about that not being a real snow storm humm i guess you don't count 22 inches and ice like you couldn't believe.
Anyways i just needed to vent after not being near a computer for so long
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 08:04 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebunnie69 View Post
Okay so this is the first time in about five days that i have had a chance to get on the forum.
Can you believe i had no electricty for 4 days. It's amazing how creative you get when you have no electricty. I was cooking on the barbuque and heating the house with the wood fireplace and taking showers at friends houses. I am definitly need to look into getting a generator. I have read some comments about that not being a real snow storm humm i guess you don't count 22 inches and ice like you couldn't believe.

Lil Bunnie, We lost power once for 4 days and that was the end of depending one anyone for electricity. We ended up getting a generator - it's peace of mind and plus we had lost all the food in the refrig. It is worth the investment and you can use it as a write off. Sorry for the aggravating experience. The worst part is not being able to get to the computer

Old 11-03-2008, 02:39 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
write off? what can you write it off as? i would think it gets added to the cost basis of the house as a capital improvement but since a married couple can get 500,000 in gains tax free where the write off comes in ?

Old 11-03-2008, 06:18 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
Lil Bunnie, We lost power once for 4 days and that was the end of depending one anyone for electricity. We ended up getting a generator - it's peace of mind and plus we had lost all the food in the refrig. It is worth the investment and you can use it as a write off. Sorry for the aggravating experience. The worst part is not being able to get to the computer
In '04 after getting 2 hurricane direct-hits in a 3 week period, we had no power for about a month & 1/2!!! (thank God for the pool to "clean up" in & the charcoal grill to cook on!!)

LOL!! We STILL don't have a generator, but I want to get the "direct-wired" one with the buried propane tank that goes on automatically when the power goes out.

Problem is, I haven't had a spare $8000.00 lying around.....

Did you check with your insurance company about the food spoiling?? We have coverage up to $500.00 on our policy for "food loss"...

Old 11-03-2008, 06:54 AM

910 posts, read 2,993,178 times
Are you anywhere near the ledgedale marina? this area had no power for a minimum of one day and some people were out for about 5 days. I'm guessing youre newer to the area? It does happen often enough here, yes a generator would help a bit
Yes, check with your homeowners insurance, and check with ppl, sometimes they will adjust your bill

Old 11-03-2008, 09:46 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebunnie69 View Post
Wow, you got hit hard up that way. Really our area in Brodheadsville had just rain and wind. I have never been without electric for more then a couple of hours and that was in Penn Estates. So in our 14 years of living here, those odds have been good!!
I know there was that one storm that took down all the trees up by Long Pond, and the Mt Pocono area........people were out a long time when that occured.

I did get stuck last December at our home for three days, but that was due to the ice and snow on the steep driveway. That just could not be plowed. I was not prepared with sand and salt........my bad

Some type of fireplace is always good so you can cook. Outdoor grills help for cooking too....... I remember years ago one would fill up the tub to make sure to have some type of water handy ( for cleaning up anyhow)
Filling containers and pots before the storm arrives is a good idea.
Not fun having the loss in food. I'd be turning that in to the homeowners for sure.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:19 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
Here in The Hideout we have been lucky, we have never been without electric for more than a few hours at most.
The longest time I was without electric was 14 days when we lived on L.I. and were hit with hurricane Gloria. That was rough. I remember that I kept the frig shut as advised when there is no electric so as not to let the cold air out....welllafter a few days we were trying to save everything we could, cook on the grill what we could. You could not find ice anywhere. So...I emptied out the frig and freezer and gave it a good cleaning. Well...the dang thing never turned on again...when the power went on, the power surge fried the motor. All that cleaning for nothing!

Old 11-04-2008, 01:45 AM

we were out all day about 14 hours last tuesday in lake wallenpaupack area. finally got power back and the next day a huge tree limb came down and hit the wires to my house ripping the service from the side of the house pulling down the mast and meter

Old 11-04-2008, 09:44 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
write off? what can you write it off as? i would think it gets added to the cost basis of the house as a capital improvement but since a married couple can get 500,000 in gains tax free where the write off comes in ?
It was a write off because it off sets losses that you can have in a house. It is preventive measure. For instance, if the power is off for a long time and the temperatures are extremely cold, your pipes can freeze with no heat in your house. We have a good accountant and that says it is totally legal.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:52 PM

just checked on that with the irs. , there is no such write off.... if for medical reasons you can try to take a medical deduction for certain medical equipment but other than that they said noooooo

we sell generators and that would have been a great selling point

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-04-2008 at 01:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania