Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 08:11 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Wow! I arose shortly before 9 this morning, and thus far we've already had three political diatribes gracing our answering machine. Is anyone else getting as bombarded as we are? Thankfully we have caller ID so when I see 1-800-000-0000 or some random out-of-state number I can just let the recordings battle it out on our machine. I pity those of you without that service that can permit you to avoid hearing this garbage. Rep. Paul Kanjorski has been ESPECIALLY annoying (one more reason in my eyes not to vote for him).

Considering Pittston is probably one of the most Democratic cities per capita in the region (you can't drive down one residential block without seeing an Obama/Biden sign or bumper sticker), I really think many candidates are wasting their time (and money) by bombarding us here. Yesterday while I was at work my parents said they were getting so many calls they nearly unhooked our land-line, and then shortly thereafter volunteers from the Obama campaign came right up to our door!

Perhaps I'll take weluvpa's advice and "release the hounds?" LOL! Anyone else getting bombarded?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 08:35 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
I have had it with the political calls. Morning noon and night we're getting calls, there's people knocking on the door. I've had it.

I don't ever remember getting bombarded with this many political calls, advertisements, etc...not even in the last presidential election.

Its even worse because I'm in a union at work.....it seems a majority of the calls and mail I'm getting are from the union.

I was using my leaf blower in the yard yesterday, and if I was approached by any political people, I was going to blow them right off my lawn!

Old 11-03-2008, 08:37 AM

The strange thing with the election signs is that we know that Scranton is a very democratic city, yet McCain signs outnumber Obama signs 2-1 on my block (its literally 2 McCain signs to 1 Obama sign, so I know its not exactly a scientific study....)

Old 11-03-2008, 08:53 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,757 times
I've been getting the calls, and the door knockers. I have two dogs that go nuts everytime somebody knocks on our door, and I have a two year old that we put up for a nap in the afternoon, and three times already these political campaign workers have knocked on my door, made my dogs bark, and woke up my daughter. I CAN NOT WAIT UNTIL IT IS ALL OVER!!! Oh, did I mention the 5 tons of mailers I have recieved up until now?

Old 11-03-2008, 08:58 AM

I thought democrats were supposed to be for saving the environment....well they're sure killing tons of trees with all of the political junk mail!

Old 11-03-2008, 09:01 AM

6,806 posts, read 9,357,536 times
I wonder if the calls are actually effective? It seems like they hardly change any minds, although I have no research to back this claim up.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:07 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,626,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I thought democrats were supposed to be for saving the environment....well they're sure killing tons of trees with all of the political junk mail!

lets see how "for the environment" these politicians are over the next few weeks as their roadside signs are left to rot. PICK UP YOUR TRASH!

Old 11-03-2008, 09:08 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,757 times
I know, I can't take it anymore! Are these methods even affective? You have to have a very low IQ to believe anything on the TV, in the mail ect by any of these guys. By the way Kanjorski puts it, Barletta hangs out on street corners with cocaine dealers, and is George Bush's very best friend. And Obama is a far left wing nut, and a radical turbin wearing Muslim with the middle name Hussien!!! The statements contradict themselves! How can you be a far left wing "anything goes" liberal, and a radical Muslim at the same time? They are polar opposites of each other, but yet this is the B.S. they are trying to sell us. Do they really think we are that stupid?

Old 11-03-2008, 09:26 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
OK I got calls from Hillary, Giuliani, Kanjorski, the Obama people galore, Bill Clinton himself.........
Gosh, that call was so darn clear, I told my hubby it "could of been him"
Ok now who else......Oh yep Barletta......calls from him too.
I must, must thank McCain for not having to hear his taped voice telling me what I have already heard a thousand times on CNN and FOX.
When will anyone understand that phone calls are just a real pain in the side.......and other places
The tons of junk mail go directly into trash..........why do they waste their time?

Old 11-03-2008, 10:06 AM

755 posts, read 2,334,331 times
Guess I should be glad that I'm in the sticks of Shohola. We've had Obama campainers here the past two weekends and they keep catching hubby at home. He LOVES to debate with them and ask them questions that they just can't possibly answer...especially when it comes to handgun issues...lol.

Oh and TONS of mailers as well....especially since hubby is a Union member for work.

We went totally cellular and are on the DO NOT CALL list...haven't had ANY phone calls here for the election. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania