Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:48 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times

Advertisements

That right Poconoproud..........If all else fails..........throw some beef on the grill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 03:15 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,211 times
[Have you used this method before? I haven't personally, but I know some who have. I'll be trying it for the first time this year and I have some questions that were not addressed in that chat. Maybe you know the answer to them? I can speculate with the best on the board.
1. For a 20lb turkey, how much should I increase the water/salt/sugar in the brine? The liquid should cover the bird. Probably the amount of water it'd take to cover the extra 4 lbs won't make much of a difference.

2. Any idea how much longer than 2 1/2 hours it would take to cook a 20lb bird? http://whatscookingamerica.net/Poultry/GuidelinesRoastingTurkey.htm

3. My 5 gallon bucket is not big enough to allow me to fit the bird in laying on the breast....I basically have to fit it in "standing up". Do you think this will be a problem? Nope.

4. I did not buy a "natural" turkey. I bought the 29 cents a lb. turkey that was on sale at Price Chopper..lol. It is a "basted" turkey, meaning it has some solution already injected into it. Should I cut down on the salt content of the brine due to this? I use less salt on principle anyway. One can always add salt at the table. Can never take any away.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:20 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,582,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
[Have you used this method before? I haven't personally, but I know some who have. I'll be trying it for the first time this year and I have some questions that were not addressed in that chat. Maybe you know the answer to them? I can speculate with the best on the board.
1. For a 20lb turkey, how much should I increase the water/salt/sugar in the brine? The liquid should cover the bird. Probably the amount of water it'd take to cover the extra 4 lbs won't make much of a difference.

2. Any idea how much longer than 2 1/2 hours it would take to cook a 20lb bird? http://whatscookingamerica.net/Poultry/GuidelinesRoastingTurkey.htm

3. My 5 gallon bucket is not big enough to allow me to fit the bird in laying on the breast....I basically have to fit it in "standing up". Do you think this will be a problem? Nope.

4. I did not buy a "natural" turkey. I bought the 29 cents a lb. turkey that was on sale at Price Chopper..lol. It is a "basted" turkey, meaning it has some solution already injected into it. Should I cut down on the salt content of the brine due to this? I use less salt on principle anyway. One can always add salt at the table. Can never take any away.

Thank you

Old 11-25-2008, 04:59 PM

996 posts, read 3,277,723 times
Here's some info I just saw in the Wayne Independent that I thought might come in handy. It's a list of grocery stores in the Wayne County area that are open on Thursday:

Dave’s Super Duper, Honesdale: 6:45 a.m.- 4 p.m.
Dutch’s Market, Greentown: 7 a.m. -2 p.m.
Hawley IGA: 7 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Lake Region IGA: 7 a.m. - 3 p.m.
McCaffrey’s Market, Honesdale: 8 a.m.- 2 p.m.
Mr. Z’s Food Mart, Hamlin: Closed
Peck’s Market, Callicoon: Closed
Peck’s Market, Narrowsburg: Closed
Preston Country Market: Closed
Ray’s Market, Waymart: Closed
Sunrise Market, Honesdale: 7 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Wal-Mart, Indian Orchard: Open 24 hours
Weis Market, Hamlin: 7 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Weis Market, Rt. 6 Plaza: 7 a.m.- 3 p.m.

Hope nobody has to use it!!

Old 11-25-2008, 05:08 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,896,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acevaz View Post
This year I was volunteered to prepare the turkey. The last time I attempted to cook a turkey which was 4 yrs ago; the experience was well... A bad one.

I need help in marinating and cooking a Turkey (approx. 15 lbs). How do I prevent the bird from getting dry? Does anyone have any good recipes? If so, please share.

You may have seen my post in the other Turkey link but I will give a rundown here again for basic roasted Turkey.

Make sure the Bird is thawing now in the fridge if it is frozen. On the morning of Thanksgiving remove the plastic and search the cavities to find the neck and the organ meats. Pull these and reserve if you want them for gravy but I usually don't. Rinse the bird under cold water in an out and place it in the pan. I like to now spray the top of the Turkey with Canola Oil in the spray can and then lightly coat the top of the skin with salt, pepper, garlic and poultry seasoning. Cover the Turkey with foil wrapping as tight as you can around the top of the pan and put it in the oven at 350 for 1 hour. If you desire, you can put the stuffing in the cavity but I don't recommend it. I can't see the difference in flavor, you only fit a small amount, it is a pain and now you must make sure the stuffing is above 165 which takes longer and causes the flesh of the Turkey to overcook. I just don't bother and bake the stuffing on the side, it comes out still moist and great if you use enough chicken stock.

After the first hour is up, place a thermometer directly in the center of the breast and also check between the leg and the body. If the temp of these two areas is below 100, place the foil back on and go another half hour, if the temp is about 120 uncover. In either case, when you reach about 120 cook the bird uncovered for 1 hour and check the temp, you should be somewhere around 160. I would suggest, due to varying in ovens to check the temp during the uncovered time at 30 minutes to see what temp you have. You will likely be at about 140 which should mean another half hour if your oven is holding its temp well. At 155 to 160 pull the Turkey from the oven and let it "Rest" for 20 to 30 minutes to allow for "carryover cooking" to reach a safe temp of 165. If you are scared you can go until 165 to ensure that you are safe but the dry bird factor will rear its ugly head.

Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:12 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
Weis' add in the paper says the Hamlin store will be closed on Thanksgiving Day. Good for them!

Old 11-25-2008, 07:15 PM

9 posts, read 26,318 times
I have always used the "bag". Also, try a 12 ounces of wine. Red, white anything. It infuses a great flavor that is very sutble. Yum! I can smell it cooking already. Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-25-2008, 07:15 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,007,134 times
my friend does his turkey like this. It is delish.

I do my turkey on the rotisserie (my dad bought the Ronco Showtime Rotisserie off TV, and though I made fun of him for it, it is hands down the ONLY way I make poultry. It is the BEST turkey and chicken I have ever had.)

Old 11-26-2008, 07:35 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I started baking mine breast side down. The first time that I did it I was impressed by the moist breast meat. Something like Step 3 on this page:

How to Roast a Turkey 8 Different Ways | eHow.com

When I turned it over I greased the top, breast. I think that I only had it up for about an hour.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:19 AM

138 posts, read 369,368 times
Thank you all for the advice.

The turkey was given to me by a family member to cook and when I saw it , I scratched my head and said "I'm no miracle worker but I'll try". I got a 9lb turkey to feed 12 people. I'm not turkey expert but I'm thinking this bird won't be enough. Am I right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania