Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:08 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Well I just came back today after spending a couple of hours shopping around Luzerne County, and I have to say it was quite an enjoyable experience for me! I headed downtown in the Diamond City to sell my textbooks back at Barnes & Noble for about $200 (a pity considering I originally spent $900 on them, but I digress) and immediately dropped $2 into the Salvation Army's kettle as I headed into Boscov's. The store was surprisingly busy for a Monday, and I'm hoping this is a sign that the store can stay afloat given all of the drama lately around it!

At Boscov's I purchased a Homedics memory-foam pillow to help my mother, who is still in pain after she was violently rear-ended back in September on Route 309 in Luzerne County. I also bought a Homedics illuminated tabletop fountain here to brighten up my grandmother's assisted care facility room. I was going to buy my mother a cookbook stand for our newly-renovated kitchen as well, but alas the store no longer sells them. I saw them next-door at the downtown Barnes & Noble, but in keeping with the spirit of "shopping locally" I've decided to wait to see what the kitchen store in Downtown Clarks Summit, near Talbot's, might have to offer.

From here I headed out to the Back Mountain, where I bought my sister a gift certificate to the Blue Hydrangea Gift Shop (she like Very Bradley) as well as a beautiful etched-glass sun catcher for my grandmother's room window. After leaving here I headed up to Wild Birds Unlimited in the Dallas Shopping Center, where I purchased a squirrel-proof bird feeder for my father, who is becoming an avid bird-watcher.

I now have about 1/3 of my shopping finished, and it was a very enjoyable experience. It was great to chat with the local merchants as they rung me up, and I was pleased to hear from the owners of the Blue Hydrangea and Wild Birds Unlimited that BOTH of their stores were faring rather well despite the recession. I wished them well. Now I still have more independent merchants to hit up in The Abingtons, Downtown Scranton, and The Pittstons.

Here's my tally for the day:

Blue Hydrangea Gift Certificate: $50
Window Sun-Catcher: $15
Bird Feeder: $94
Fountain: $15
Neck-Nourishing Pillow: $40

Grand Total Spent in Our Area Today: $214

I'm budgeting $600 this year altogether for gifts, and gosh darnit I'm going to do as much as possible at our local merchants!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 04:49 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
I managed to buy every single christmas present online this year....I didn't have to deal with any traffic or lines......All the gifts were dropped on my porch and then brought inside and wrapped.....Done with the click of a mouse and couldn't be any happier for it.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:56 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
I did quite a lot fo shopping on-line myself. Got great deals by searching the net for coupon codes and free shipping offers. I do like to support the locals when I can, but when my girls like things from chain stores...well...what can I do? Last year I did a HUGE amount of shopping on E-bay...this year I sold on E-bay to do my on-line shopping!

Old 12-15-2008, 05:32 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,994 times
We'll be putting money into NEPA's registers for 2 days at least!!

Old 12-15-2008, 07:45 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,821 times
I'm making most of my gifts this year, too poor to do otherwise. Starting to learn how to knit and quilt this winter so I can get a start on next year's gifts. Though I'll be doing both of the lessons locally, so I'm still giving money to local people to teach me. Boy, will they have their work cut out for them. LOL! Once I get good at the quilting, I'll be headed down to Lancaster to get some goodies for making everyone something for the holidays next year.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:54 PM

923 posts, read 3,095,071 times
Since I'm from another generation ... I bought alot of classic tv series online. My family and I love some of the old stuff that is now available on DVD --- Adventures in Paradise, Amos n' Andy, Foreign Intrigue. Its great to be able to see some of these old shows again. Great Christmas gifts !!!

Old 12-16-2008, 06:38 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I did quite a lot fo shopping on-line myself. Got great deals by searching the net for coupon codes and free shipping offers. I do like to support the locals when I can, but when my girls like things from chain stores...well...what can I do? Last year I did a HUGE amount of shopping on E-bay...this year I sold on E-bay to do my on-line shopping!
Have to love E-bay......We did the same thing this year....Cleaned out the old to make way for the new..

Old 12-16-2008, 07:31 AM

Yes...I'm a big E-Bay fan!! I have gotten great buys in the past and have sold some stuff for more than what I paid new! My best sale...my hsband still had his Shott Perfecto motorcycle jacket (never owned a motorcycle!) in perfect condition from 1980...I paid about $150. for it then...sold it for $350. within an hour of listing it on E-Bay.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
I'm making most of my gifts this year, too poor to do otherwise. Starting to learn how to knit and quilt this winter so I can get a start on next year's gifts. Though I'll be doing both of the lessons locally, so I'm still giving money to local people to teach me. Boy, will they have their work cut out for them. LOL! Once I get good at the quilting, I'll be headed down to Lancaster to get some goodies for making everyone something for the holidays next year.

I LOVE a home made present! One year I made lots of my daughters friends scarfs with bulky knit wool and really big needles...it only takes about an hour! Oh..Alleycat...too bad you didn't live here...my Mom would LOVE to teach you to knit for FREE. I can do a lot of different crafts and needlework, but I don't have anyone in my family who appreciates a homemade gift besides my Mom. So...

Old 12-16-2008, 08:17 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I LOVE a home made present! One year I made lots of my daughters friends scarfs with bulky knit wool and really big needles...it only takes about an hour! Oh..Alleycat...too bad you didn't live here...my Mom would LOVE to teach you to knit for FREE. I can do a lot of different crafts and needlework, but I don't have anyone in my family who appreciates a homemade gift besides my Mom. So...
I'm not sure how much people love home made presents from me, but I think they've come to terms with it! One year I did framed paintings with sayings in caligraphy for everyone, another I did pans of eggplant parm using locally grown eggplant that was soooooooooooooooo good that year. Just froze them to give out at the holidays. This year I made calendars and scanned lots of old pictures into collages for each month. Next year I'm hoping everyone will get something knitted - probably a scarf and maybe a quilted pillow for the bed or, if I get good - maybe a quillow (a pillow whose 'stuffing' unfolds to a lap blanket) for the couch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania