Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 03:13 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon, everyone!

After finishing up my photo tour this morning of Binghamton, NY (See the New York forum for that one if you'd like), I decided to stop on the way home to visit Montrose, the quaint Victorian seat of Susquehanna County. Situated ten miles to the west of I-81 via the New Milford exit and roughly 40 minutes from either Binghamton or Scranton via I-81, the town is just isolated enough so that it doesn't attract any sort of ugly urban sprawl and retains its small-town charm. The town hosts an annual blueberry festival and is quite similar to many quaint New England villages that you might expect to find in Vermont instead of NEPA. I'll keep my narration to a minimum here to allow you to be fully-engrossed in the pictures, as I was today. After leaving a city riddled with urban blight, it was nice to stroll around a town where people waved and pre-emptively greeted you as you passed by. There was also a plethora of rather good-looking shirtless guys running amok through town, but I'll leave photos of them to my dreams to spare you the misery! LOL!

Welcome to Montrose, the quaint seat of Susquehanna County in Pennsylvania's Endless Mountains.

Susquehanna County Courthouse

Downtown Montrose

Montrose Theater

Rosemont Inn Bed & Breakfast

Magistrate's Office

Susquehanna County Historical Society & Library

Montrose Post Office, 18801

Montrose Fire Station

Gazebo in the Town Green

Country Club, Foreground
Montrose Area High School, Background

Lake Avenue

Pine Street

Chenango & Pine

WW II Memorial

Church Street
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 03:55 PM

71 posts, read 353,827 times
i like those pics of montrose and especially that Pine St. pic.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:08 PM

23 posts, read 86,031 times
What wonderful pics! Thanks so much!
My family is looking to relocate from FL in the next 2 years, and this just made me homesick! I am from Johnson City, NY originally, and had family in Montrose, Dushore, and the like....it's been a long time, but you just brought some of it back to me...

Old 07-06-2007, 08:52 AM

131 posts, read 659,307 times
This is great... i went to high school in Montrose.. and you somehow managed to capture all of the highlights.

Let me know when you do Brackney!!

Old 07-06-2007, 08:55 AM

937 posts, read 2,888,706 times
We went through Montrose on the 4th and they were having a big parade!
We needed to get to 706 East and we ended up following the parade!!!
It is a great little town.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:14 PM

223 posts, read 795,926 times
wonderful photos, puts me at ease as i'm relocating to montrose next month. thanks a bunch for these.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:44 AM

3 posts, read 23,179 times
How absolutely wonderful are your pictures!!! I have visited Montrose twice now, but each trip has been so rushed with never more than a couple of hours to spend . We are residents of SC. I took my 90 year old mother up there in '03 (she passed away a few months later in '03) to Montrose to see if we could locate the home where she was born. We visited the Historical Society, and if you have not met Betty Smith, you must. She is a very special lady and was such a tremendous help to us with genealogical records. We visited the cemetery where we found many of the headstones of our ancestors. I hope to get up there this next year and actually stay a day or two. The Rosemont Inn Bed & Breakfast that you snapped a photo of looks very inviting. Thanks so much for sharing the wonderful pictures!!!!

Old 12-07-2008, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 18,156 times
These are great pictures! I was born outside Montrose and went to school there-moved away shortly after that. It's nice seeing places that I remember as a kid.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:00 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,142,011 times
Had I known you were going through Montrose I would've asked you to stop by my friends airport and see how it's doing since I haven't been up there in a while. It's located right on Rt. 29 southbound just outside of Montrose. The airport is named Husky Haven Airport but for a little over 40 years it was known as Zavertons. The owner was Elmer Zaverton. They sold it to my friend so they could retire. They still live nearby.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 14,309 times
Thanks for the wonderful pictures of Lake Ave. My parents house is included in the photos and I love "showing off" my town to friends!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania