Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 11:27 AM

22 posts, read 76,780 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We've lived in the greater Algonkian Parkway area since 1993. In general, I think you can probably find everything you want right here. Both Potomac Falls and Dominion High are considered very good. Both pull from an area that includes a mix of demographic and socio-economic varieties of folks.

In this area, the middle schools are a direct feed to the high schools, with River Bend Middle feeding to Potomac Falls High and Seneca Ridge Middle feeding to Dominion High. As far as the elementary schools, Sugarland, Meadowland, and Lowes Island feed directly to Seneca Ridge Middle. I don't know if it's still true, but I believe that Horizon Elementary is the only split feeder school, with a portion of the kids going to River Bend and the other portion going to Seneca Ridge. The other elementary schools that feed to Potomac Falls High would be Potowmack, Algonkian, Countryside, hmm..... don't know if I'm forgetting any others or if that's it!

Anyway, the area is a big mix of types of housing, so I'm sure you will be able to find housing that fits your needs. There are condos, townhouses, single family homes, and maybe patio homes, although I have to think on that one. Anyway, your price range will largely determine what you can buy, and definitely where. You also need to decide "how" you would like your amenities, i.e., do you want them as part of an HOA, where there would be monthly HOA fees included to pay for such amenities? Or, would you rather buy your amenities "a la carte", so to speak, from the private and public combinations of pools, recreation centers, private clubs, sports plexes, etc.? All are fine, there is no right or better answer, it's just what you prefer. Also, as far as lot size, some are very small for single families, starting at around .15 or so, I believe, and some range up to an acre or more. It all depends upon where you choose. Also, do you prefer a newer or older community? You have a choice of that here, as well. (I'm not a realtor, just someone who enjoys looking at and keeping informed about local real estate!)

For example, in my "unofficial" list, the neighborhoods that have their amenities "included" in the HOA monthly fee (it's part of the package, you don't have a choice, you have to pay and follow the HOA guidelines, some love it, some don't, just a personal choice), would be:

1. Cascades (which includes Lowes Island, Potomac Lakes, and the rest
of Cascades; did I leave a part out? someone correct me if I did!)
2. Countryside
3. Great Falls Chase
4. River ______? (someone help here; I always forget the second name,
don't know why; absolutely lovely community, very close to Great Falls
Plaza).

The next group would be neighborhoods that have a very mild HOA, few rules, small annual fee, and the option to purchase your swimming pool/tennis court/amenities every summer for a flat fee. There is only one neighborhood that I know of that falls into this category:

1. Great Falls Forest ( amenities can be purchased via Great Falls Chase)

The next group would be neighborhoods that have an HOA as far as a basic fee, covers community maintenance, insurance, etc., covenants apply, but no amenities either on site or to be purchased via another community. However, with Claude Moore Park, the Algonkian Park, and the Sterling Swim, Golf, and Tennis Club, there are plenty of places for those folks to go in the community to buy wonderful summer amenities. Those neighborhoods would be:

1. Potomac Hunt
2. Potomac Woods
3. forget the name but it's basically Brookside Lane; not sure where this tiny neighborhood fits in, to be honest
4. townhouses across from Potomac Hunt and Potomac Woods; sorry, I forget the name but they're large and quite pretty
5. others? help me out here, guys, I know I must be leaving some out; sorry!

The last group would be neighborhoods that don't, to my knowledge, have any HOA or covenants at all, but I could be completely wrong. There is only one neighborhood that I know of that fits in this category:

1. Broad Run Farms; usually older homes but not always, often very large lots; I believe this neighborhood might have some sort of river and boating access, but you would have to check that out further.

Anyway, ALL of the neighborhoods that I just named are loosely around the Algonkian Parkway area, in general. The children, I believe, are slated to attend the above mentioned schools. You have a ton of grocery stores, shopping, doctors, dentists, post office, library, recreation centers, commuter buses, trails, parks, churches, preschools, etc., within a 2 - 10 minute drive, in general.

As far as the PreSchool choices, all of the ones mentioned so far have, from what I have heard, very good reputations. Another good one is Mother's Day Out via the Sterling Park Baptist Church. Claude Moore Community Center also has a wonderful program through Parks and Rec.

Hope this helps. I think in general, this is a fine area and you couldn't go wrong with most of the above mentioned neighborhoods. Again, it just depends upon what you're looking for and what you're able to spend.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 05:29 PM

158 posts, read 379,690 times
thanks so much, HopefulPa mom! I think for us we would prefer a HOA where everything is inclusive. Really, what we want is a family friendly area (imagine kids playing in the yard, parents chatting, etc) with good schools. It seems like something that falls in the Cascades HOA would probably be best for us.

Funny thing is the people we have told keep telling me how much I am going to miss the conveniences of living in Mclean. I don't quite get that since you have Dulles Town Center for shopping as well as local stores that are close.

One more thing...my son is a summer birthday and our preschool really thinks he needs another year of small classroom experience to work on some fine motor skills and social immaturity. So we have him enrolled in a transitional kindergarten/pre-k program for kids who either don't meet the cutoff or aren't quite ready. Are there any schools in the area that have that sort of a program?

Jen...thanks for all your help!

Old 08-12-2010, 05:40 AM

For all the great Cascades posters...we have been looking at houses in the Potomac Lakes sub. Is Hampshire Station Rd a busy street? I can't quite tell from the maps. I would drive out there but my 5 and 2 year old are over looking at houses. Thanks!

Old 08-12-2010, 06:48 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,126,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtotwoboys View Post
For all the great Cascades posters...we have been looking at houses in the Potomac Lakes sub. Is Hampshire Station Rd a busy street? I can't quite tell from the maps. I would drive out there but my 5 and 2 year old are over looking at houses. Thanks!
I don't drive that much in that area, so someone else might know better than me. But, FWIW, I get the impression it's fairly busy since it's a cut through.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:16 PM

462 posts, read 1,212,312 times
I live off of Hampshire Station - the piece towards the high school vs. towards Sugarland. I don't consider it a particularly busy road but I guess is depends upon what you consider busy. It is a cut-through road and sees most of its traffic in the mornings/afternoons when school is in session being that there are a couple of them close by.

If you are talking about Hampshire Station on the other side of Cascades Road, my take is that it is even less busier. I don't drive it but I do run it quite frequently and not much traffic at all.

Last edited by GCPA; 08-12-2010 at 05:01 PM..

Old 08-13-2010, 01:50 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,966,599 times
I'll second that opinion. Hampshire Station from Cascades Parkway to Potomac View Road is not busy at all, anyone cutting through on that side of Cascades Parkway uses Palisades Parkway, it is much faster. There is some cut through from Algonkian Parkway to Cascades Parkway, mainly from the high school area, speed limit is 25, really too slow for a cut through to avoid the light at Algonkian and Cascades Pkwys.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:03 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,984,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
I'll second that opinion. Hampshire Station from Cascades Parkway to Potomac View Road is not busy at all, anyone cutting through on that side of Cascades Parkway uses Palisades Parkway, it is much faster. There is some cut through from Algonkian Parkway to Cascades Parkway, mainly from the high school area, speed limit is 25, really too slow for a cut through to avoid the light at Algonkian and Cascades Pkwys.
I think Margery's summed it up pretty well. By the way, Algonkian Parkway is one place where it's easy to get speeding tickets. So be careful about keeping to the 45 mph speed limit.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:43 AM

Me again! Are you 20165'ers sick of me yet? Can one of you tell me what exactly a "patio home" is? On the house info it says a SFH so I guess just no yard? Is that common in the area?

Old 09-22-2010, 06:33 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,966,599 times
It is a home in the style and size of a detached home, i.e., does not look like a townhouse, but it is attached to other homes. It can be 1 or 2 levels and with or without a basement.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:46 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,126,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtotwoboys View Post
Me again! Are you 20165'ers sick of me yet? Can one of you tell me what exactly a "patio home" is? On the house info it says a SFH so I guess just no yard? Is that common in the area?
Not sick of you at all, in fact quite the opposite. A lot of people are interested in this community and wondering similar questions, so it's good to have questions like this come up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia