Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 07:45 AM

158 posts, read 379,277 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Margery and Caladium! That is good to know. The lot did seem pretty small for that size of house. Thanks to you all, I have learned a lot about what we want and don't want!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 01:56 PM

7 posts, read 12,843 times
Hello all

I've just come across this thread and was hoping to get some advice. My wife and I are moving with our two year old son to the DC area in October. We are currently living in Paris. I will be working in DC (H street and 13th) and my wife will be a SAHM for at least the next few years (we have another child on the way). I'm really attracted to the greenery of the areas between the cascades shopping sector and the potomac river. For the first year or so we will look to rent a SFH and then buy once we are sure we like the area. However, I'm a little concerned about the commute. If I were to leave say the intersection of the Algonkian Parkway and Potomac View Road at 7am, how long would you expect it to take to get into DC on the average day? Also, do you think we would be able to find a nice house with a good sized yard for between $3000 and $4000 a month? And are there friendly mothers groups and activities for young kids in the area?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:05 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,964,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozindc View Post
Hello all

I've just come across this thread and was hoping to get some advice. My wife and I are moving with our two year old son to the DC area in October. We are currently living in Paris. I will be working in DC (H street and 13th) and my wife will be a SAHM for at least the next few years (we have another child on the way). I'm really attracted to the greenery of the areas between the cascades shopping sector and the potomac river. For the first year or so we will look to rent a SFH and then buy once we are sure we like the area. However, I'm a little concerned about the commute. If I were to leave say the intersection of the Algonkian Parkway and Potomac View Road at 7am, how long would you expect it to take to get into DC on the average day? Also, do you think we would be able to find a nice house with a good sized yard for between $3000 and $4000 a month? And are there friendly mothers groups and activities for young kids in the area?

For the moms group have your wife check out NoVaMommies.com -- A Mommies Network Community. I would imagine that would be one heck of a commute to get into DC. The farthest I ever had to go when I lived near there was McLean/Tyson's area and that was bad enough.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:21 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,100,432 times
Quote:
If I were to leave say the intersection of the Algonkian Parkway and Potomac View Road at 7am, how long would you expect it to take to get into DC on the average day?
Yikes, are you thinking of driving this? It would be very hard on you.

That's a bit too far to drive, especially in an area with traffic congestion. I don't know how long it takes, but trust me it's too long. They do have a bus that takes you to WFC metro station. If you need to drive, look for a community much closer to DC.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:24 PM

That's a shame. So you don't think it is doable in an hour? Would Great Falls be more feasible? Or are we better off looking in the Vienna/McLean/Falls Church/North Arlington areas? I'm quite attracted to the space and greenery that is available further out and I don't mind driving an hour each way.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:28 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,100,432 times
Quote:
That's a shame. So you don't think it is doable in an hour? Would Great Falls be more feasible? Or are we better off looking in the Vienna/McLean/Falls Church/North Arlington areas? I'm quite attracted to the space and greenery that is available further out and I don't mind driving an hour each way.
I'd look anywhere east of Tysons Corner. I'm not sure how Great Falls would be, but the other choices would work.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:47 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,964,378 times
There are homes in the Cascades/Lowes Island area with rentals starting at slightly under $3000 per month. There is a commuter bus stop at Great Falls Plaza, across Algonkian Parkway from Lowes Island, that will take you to the West Falls Church Metro in about half an hour. From there the trip to Metro Center in downtown D.C. is also about half an hour. I used Metro Center as an illustration. You can find schedules on the Metro website. If you are going to drive, I cannot comment on the time for that. Most of my neighbors take the commuter bus, it is less stressful than driving.

As far as activities and mom's groups, there are plenty of stay at home moms and many children's activities. The Cascades Library has activities for all age groups and Claude Moore Park has year round activities.

Herndon and Reston would also be good choices for you and there are some neighborhoods in those areas close to parks.

Great Falls also has a few rentals in your price range and certainly has wooded areas near the Potomac. You can take Georgetown Pike to Chain Bridge road on into D.C., and pick up Mac Arthur Blvd to go downtown. Allow an hour depending on traffic and the time of day.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:58 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,517,629 times
Quote:
Hello all

Algonkian/Potomac View would be quite a haul. I'd expect 75-90 minutes.

What size of a yard are you looking for? $3k-$4k will get you a fairly decent place on a 1/4-1/2 acre lot, in Vienna/Oakton, where you can Metro in, or even drive in (taking maybe 45-60 minutes).

Dunno how many places are available in North Arlington/McLean/Falls Church on even 1/4 acre.

Great Falls might work out for you but I don't know if $4k would get you in the door there (or how many rentals there are.)

If you want an acre or more:
I don't know how much is available for rent in northwestern Loudoun County/Brunswick. You could take the MARC train into DC from Brunswick.

Alternately, you can take VRE from Manassas or Fredericksburg, living on a larger lot in those environs.

Good luck!

Old 09-23-2010, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the advice. A half an acre block would be great, but we'd accept a quarter acre in a nice area. Sounds like Great Falls would be the limit for a bearable commute and that Vienna might be a good compromise location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia