Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 05:54 AM

247 posts, read 1,142,256 times

Advertisements

We decided to have a garage/ moving sale, and aren't quite sure how to go about advertising it. I've always lived in smaller cities, where we just advertised in the local newspaper (online and in print) plus craigslist. What do people do around here? Our neighborhood does hold an annual multi-family one in Sept, but we don't want to wait that long. We live in Fairfax, btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 06:07 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,269,024 times
Do what so many idiots do around here. Place ugly cardboard signs on telephone poles and stop sign poles then leave them there until the rain finally ruins them and they fall off. This is of course illegal but it doesn't stop people from doing this. Obviously I'm being a little sarcastic here but this does drive me crazy.
Other than that I'm not sure what the best way is too advertise for your yard sale.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:14 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,966,599 times
Check with your HOA first, the annual one may be the only one allowed. If allowed, I would advertise on Craigs List. Also, post directional signs like Realtors do (if allowed by your local jurisdiction), there are loads of people who drive around and look for these signs. You can get signs at Lowes and Home Depot. And, don't forget to take the signs down when the sale is over.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:34 AM

8,827 posts, read 15,344,226 times
Craigslist

Old 06-29-2010, 07:59 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,620,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
Check with your HOA first, the annual one may be the only one allowed. If allowed, I would advertise on Craigs List. Also, post directional signs like Realtors do (if allowed by your local jurisdiction), there are loads of people who drive around and look for these signs. You can get signs at Lowes and Home Depot. And, don't forget to take the signs down when the sale is over.
Put the signs up on Wednesday before the sale at the main roads to turn into your development so the commuters who yardsale on weekends know to check yours out. Also craigslist, and be sure to say in the craigslist ad if you have lots of kid stuff or no kid stuff, it will draw the groups more likely to buy your things.

and, yes please, take the signs down after the sale.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,926 times
Post on GarageSaleTracker.com. It's free and easy.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:31 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,984,499 times
When I go to estate sales, I look for them on Craig's List. I see a lot of garage sales listed there, too. I wouldn't bother to advertise in the local papers here.

Instead of stapling a sign to a pole, I like putting out freestanding yardsale signs on the day of the sale. They're easy to make. Staple your sign to a paper grocery bag. Fill the bottom with heavy rocks, stuff with newspaper and staple shut. Ta da! Attracts a lot of people (IMO) and easy to pick up afterwards. Reusable, too, if you have another sale.

Don't cram too many words on the signs. All you need are words "yard sale" and a bold arrow pointing the way. Write in LARGE print.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:32 PM

127 posts, read 356,272 times
We used Craigslist and most people came because of that ad. You could also put an ad in one of the local (free) papers and/or your HOA newsletter.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:51 PM

232 posts, read 362,361 times
I always look on Craigs List. I also read what examples of items are included in the sale so I know if it will be worth my time. (i.e..if it is mostly tools...I would not go to that one!) Good luck.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:48 PM

244 posts, read 566,527 times
I would just put everything up on craigslist for sale, instead of having a garage sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: