Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 07:02 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,341,069 times

Advertisements

Things I Find Odd About NoVA:
Almost two pages of a thread on a discussion board can be taken up by a discussion about grassy strips between the sidewalk and the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 07:56 PM

496 posts, read 1,193,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stp_fan View Post
one day there is a earthquake and hurricane and people are going berserk and jumping in their cars to drive home.

the next day they're jumping in their cars to shop at tysons corner.

so funny how people overreact in this area and the...AFTERMATH

I'm not a fed so I noticed that the day after the earthquake there was hardly any traffic on 95. However, 2 days after the quake (Thursday, i think), roads were teeming in the morning and the afternoon. I guess all the feds decided to "make an appearance" so they could take Friday off to prep for the hurricane, lol.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:00 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,430,414 times
1. 95/495 ALWAYS under repair or undergoing roadwork.
2. Vanity plates.
3. Abundance of those little "Jesus fish" stickers on cars.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:21 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,293,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
3. Abundance of those little "Jesus fish" stickers on cars.
Where I am they usually have feet.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:14 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,341,069 times
How about traffic lights that you can't really see until you are almost right under them? Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? They basically look like they aren't even on and as you go through the intersection they seem to "open up". We noticed a set at the end of a Sydenstricker Rd. bridge going over the Parkway in Springfield. There is another set over by Springfield Mall at the intersection of Franconia and Frontier. When you aren't used to the intersection/lanes those lights can be really annoying. My wife and I just mentioned this weekend that we haven't noticed these anywhere else.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:06 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,393,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
How about traffic lights that you can't really see until you are almost right under them? Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? They basically look like they aren't even on and as you go through the intersection they seem to "open up". We noticed a set at the end of a Sydenstricker Rd. bridge going over the Parkway in Springfield. There is another set over by Springfield Mall at the intersection of Franconia and Frontier. When you aren't used to the intersection/lanes those lights can be really annoying. My wife and I just mentioned this weekend that we haven't noticed these anywhere else.
These are only used when two sets of lights are in quick succession. The idea is that you shouldn't see the second light until you've passed the first one. Some people will miss the red on the first light if they see the green on the second light, so by not "opening" the second light until after you've passed the first, you can't miss the first red.

Also, they'll always be green, so you don't really have to worry about them. If they ever turned red for someone who they just "opened up" to, they'd be a safety hazard- wouldn't give you enough time to react.

I believe I've seen them in Maryland and Pennsylvania as well.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:47 AM

404 posts, read 1,148,967 times
How horrible many drivers are in NoVA despite the proximity to a major city. I've encountered many people who need to make 3 point turns just to pull out of a parking spot in a shopping center parking lot. I thought people here would be more aggressive considering the traffic and proximity to DC.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:51 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,761,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I've always thought it odd that there aren't more songs about northern Virginia.

"I'm living in Manassas
And my job is in Fair Lakes.
The drivers are jack-asses,
But at least we ain't got no earthquakes..."

Can't sing that song anymore Normie.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:47 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,293,810 times
Some bicycle related NoVA observations:

1. Central American immigrants who ride their bikes against traffic. Is that the law down there?
2. Guys 35-55 on recumbent bikes, usually with beards. Do they have back problems?
3. Serious riders (meaning anyone who's not me or a tourist) who dress like they're in the Tour de France.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:36 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,689,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Some bicycle related NoVA observations:

1. Central American immigrants who ride their bikes against traffic. Is that the law down there?
2. Guys 35-55 on recumbent bikes, usually with beards. Do they have back problems?
3. Serious riders (meaning anyone who's not me or a tourist) who dress like they're in the Tour de France.

1. I was taught as a lad to always walk against traffic...presumably so one can attempt to leap to safety if necessary. I guess the same would apply to bicycling...not sure of the legality though?

2. Those things look like a LOT of work. Every time I see somebody on one, they're peddling like hell and hardly moving!

3. Serious bicyclists are a bit nutty, IMO. My neighbor has a custom made bicycle that cost as much as a decent new car....and oh yeah, he has an entire wardrobe of riding apparel. Cuts "wind resistance" he says...LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia