Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 08:16 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,097,760 times

Advertisements

Looks like RTC has two ice cream places right now, Pitango Gelato and Ben & Jerry's. In years past I always went to the little independent store, but since that's gone I guess I need to find a new place. I just want something to stop and get a cup to go. (For example when going to one of the concerts or the art fairs).

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on which of these other two are better. The Gelato place had a huge line. Is it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 10:13 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,958,947 times
I can't really say, since I haven't tried the gelato place yet. The flavors sound very intriguing. I've heard through the grapevine that the chocolate noir is particularly good.

BTW, the Washington recently went gaga over something called brioche con gelato. This is more like a sandwich than a cup of ice cream. The brioche is served warm, so that the gelato melts into the bread. Now that I've seen the photo attached to the article (below) I'm intrigued. Next time I'm in Reston I think I'll have to try one of these just to see what it's like.

Things We Love: Brioche con Gelato at Pitango Gelato - Best Bites Blog (washingtonian.com)

Old 08-10-2010, 10:35 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,729,836 times
I was a little disappointed in the gelato. Went there a couple weeks ago. Had Mango...sort of blah. Hazelnut was good. But if you ask for kids scoops then the price is worth it. Had to ask, didn't see it on the sign. Can't go wrong with B&J.

I lived in italy for 2 years so gelato and coffee are things I'm pretty picky about, so I might not be the best person to ask. But the best gelato I've had outside of Italy was a Pane Vino in Lorton.

THEN AGAIN ANY ICE CREAM OR GELATO IS BETTER THAN NONE!

Old 08-10-2010, 11:15 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,958,947 times
Speaking about B&J, I had their pomegranate sorbet recently and it was not only refeshing but also pretty tasty.

The flavor that intrigues me at the gelato place is cardamon.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:08 PM

660 posts, read 1,706,052 times
I love Pitango! It's a mini-chain (four locations) that started in Baltimore a couple of years ago, and all their milk comes from an organic farm in Pennsylvania Dutch Country. Yes, that kind of fuzzy, heart-warming story appeals to me, or at least makes me more willing to pay high prices. I like B&J as well, but they don't have a cute story that makes me want to pay extra.

My favorite combination is the pear sorbet and the Sicilian almond gelato, but I also liked combining the strawberry and rhubarb sorbets, which are pretty rich tasting considering they don't have any fat AFAIK.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:03 PM

So it sounds like Pitango is certainly worth trying, but not on a day when the lines are going out the door and down the sidewalk. (Sorry, but very, very few things are worth standing in a long line, IMO).

The flavor I want to try is Vanilla Bourbon. Doesn't that sound yummy!

Old 08-10-2010, 02:03 PM

219 posts, read 472,457 times
I like Pitango for the chocolate hazelnut or hazelnut - yum.... Vanilla bourbon does sound good.

And brioche con gelato? That sounds amazing.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:30 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
There's also Yogen Fruz, which is wedged between Clyde's and Marvelous Market. They blend frozen yogurt with fresh fruit. Very delicious and nutritious!

Old 08-10-2010, 09:55 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,172,476 times
don't forget Iceberry, in the far back corner near the dancing fountains. Also a sorbet place - I like it because you can just get regular sorbet with fruit toppings. I was just there during the nasty storm last week and I had a sorbet with strawberries and blueberries. Tasty!

I really like Pitango Gelato. I tend to get the Mojito flavor right now - it is summery tasting to me.

I rarely go to B&J's anymore. I actually prefer Baskin Robbins to B&J's.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
There's also Yogen Fruz, which is wedged between Clyde's and Marvelous Market. They blend frozen yogurt with fresh fruit. Very delicious and nutritious!
Oh right--I forgot Yogen Fruz! You're right, they're very delicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia