Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:15 PM

106 posts, read 107,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Right, but instead of struggling to live on $52,000 here I could live comfortably on $40,000 there. Turning down that job offer back "home" is something that I always toss around in my mind since my quality-of-life declined terribly since I moved to Reston.
You'll probably have to retire there also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Not really. I knew a trade-off with working for the government was lousy pay.
If you can work your way up to a GS-15 or SES with the locality pay that you're getting, you'll be fine.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:23 PM

230 posts, read 759,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeze View Post
That's your opinion of your marketability, but you're not the hiring manager. Most guvies never leave the government because they're too used to having goof off time and can't adjust to the rigors of the private sector. That's why there's a big market in hiring private contractors to do the work the government should be doing instead of having goof off time.

If you move back to Scranton, you'll be taking a pay cut also.

I think you should change your comment from "Most guvies" to "Some guvies" because there are many hardworking government employees that CAN and DO work up to the same rigors of employees in the private sector. My husband is one of those employees who works for the Department of Defense and spends many weekends working overtime supporting our national defense. I take issue with your comment because it's not fair to portray "most guvie" employees as being lazy and having time to goof off on their job!

Old 08-17-2010, 07:28 PM

170 posts, read 584,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVMYDACH View Post
I think you should change your comment from "Most guvies" to "Some guvies" because there are many hardworking government employees that CAN and DO work up to the same rigors of employees in the private sector. My husband is one of those employees who works for the Department of Defense and spends many weekends working overtime supporting our national defense. I take issue with your comment because it's not fair to portray "most guvie" employees as being lazy and having time to goof off on their job!
Bull. All government workers spend countless hours doing nothing, going out to long lunches, socializing, golfing, long "presentations" and "meetings". It's all about image. You probably have no idea what your husband does. How does he really spend his hours at work? Maybe he's just not efficient and has to come in on the weekends to finish work that other people usually finish during the week. The private sector is actually based on capitalism and provides incentives for people to work hard and people arn't paid butt-loads of money unless they work their arses off. So don't throw that DOD crap at me like he deserves some special treatment.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvasonicbloom View Post
Bull. All government workers spend countless hours doing nothing, going out to long lunches, socializing, golfing, long "presentations" and "meetings". It's all about image. You probably have no idea what your husband does. How does he really spend his hours at work? Maybe he's just not efficient and has to come in on the weekends to finish work that other people usually finish during the week. The private sector is actually based on capitalism and provides incentives for people to work hard and people arn't paid butt-loads of money unless they work their arses off. So don't throw that DOD crap at me like he deserves some special treatment.
You know your comment is extremely rude. You have no idea what my husband does in his position with DoD, therefore, you have no right to be so critical of him. He works long hours because his position requires it, not because he's a slacker as you suggest. FYI - I do know what his work load is because I worked in the same DoD agency doing the SAME job prior to becoming a stay at home Mom. It is a very demanding job with intense pressure. Not all DoD or government workers are losers! It really upsets me that people can be so nasty sometimes on this messageboard. There is absolutely no excuse for it.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:47 PM

26,703 posts, read 41,844,575 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, I think "supporting our national defense" is a lot more than sitting in an office for a bunch of hours. Both my parents wore the uniform (Air Force) for over 20 years. One uncle just came back from Iraq and one is in Afghanistan now (both Army.) Anybody can sit in an office, it takes a tough person to put on the uniform. Most guvies is probably unfair but I'll say a sizeable number of guvies.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:51 PM

170 posts, read 584,438 times
Quote:
You know your comment is extremely rude. You have no idea what my husband does in his position with DoD, therefore, you have no right to be so critical of him. He works long hours because his position requires it, not because he's a slacker as you suggest. FYI - I do know what his work load is because I worked in the same DoD agency doing the SAME job prior to becoming a stay at home Mom. It is a very demanding job with intense pressure. Not all DoD or government workers are losers! It really upsets me that people can be so nasty sometimes on this messageboard. There is absolutely no excuse for it.
It's just how the government works. It's not your fault and don't take it personally. Don't expect special treatment though like you're doing the USA a favor. It's not like your husband is on foot out in Iraq. It doesn't matter what his role is, the DOD is notorious for lackluster and poor performance with an undercurrent of beurocracy that enables anything competitent to be achieved without excessive spending.

You did the same job as your husband prior? Must be nice to be able to switch in and out like that...What type of position is this?

Old 08-17-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvasonicbloom View Post
It's just the way the government is structured that allows guvies to live off the fat of the land. They include:

• Guaranteed cost of living adjustment every year regardless of performance.
  • All holidays off.
  • Generous vacation and sick leave.
  • Low cost medical coverage.
  • Large contractor staff to help them do their jobs either due to incompetence or lack of enough guvies in the office to get the job done.
There are a lot of competent and high performing guvies, but overall, you're more likely to find mediocrity vice stellar performance.

I think the Pentagon tried to move towards a performance based pay structure, but it was shot down. Most wanted pay based on time served regardless of performance.

If you think the federal government is bad, the state/city government (e.g. DC) is probably worse. In VA, it was just announced that there's a $400 mil surplus, and government workers will be getting 3% bonuses.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:07 PM

Oh my God, I hope my daughter, who is starting grad school at VCU in Richmond in a few weeks, doesn't run into this certain person at a bar in the Fan. That could be her Dad's worst nightmare!

Old 08-17-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm sorry, I think "supporting our national defense" is a lot more than sitting in an office for a bunch of hours. Both my parents wore the uniform (Air Force) for over 20 years. One uncle just came back from Iraq and one is in Afghanistan now (both Army.) Anybody can sit in an office, it takes a tough person to put on the uniform. Most guvies is probably unfair but I'll say a sizeable number of guvies.
Not everyone working at the Pentagon was/is military. There are plenty of civilians that work there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia