Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:28 AM

259 posts, read 511,713 times

Advertisements

An acquaintance of mine works for Booz Allen in Herndon, and I am starting a job as a Gov't employee specifically an Intel analyst at one of the agencies. My "friend" and I were talking and she was saying how Booz is always getting Gov't workers to come to them and that overall they are a better and more flexible career option that Gov't.

To that I said that I think that Gov't is more flexible because you can get cross trained and start a entirely new career path within the same agency, or even transfer agencies. Also Gov't is more likely to provide the extra training needed whereas the private entities expect you to be on the ground and running. Not to mention full tuition reimbursement UP FRONT.

What are some of you guys opinions...I am interested to know.

BTW by WarPigs I mean Northrop, Boeing, Lockheed etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 08:32 AM

105 posts, read 391,330 times
I'm a recent college grad ('09) and have a job with the government. I'm on a career path to be at GS-13 in 4 years as an Operations Research analyst. My agency is also paying for my masters degree in Systems Engineering.

Kinda hard to beat that. At the end of 4 years I'll be making a pretty penny. If I decide I don't want to stay with the Govt then I'll have a strong negotiating position.

Plus, with Secty Gate's recent comments about contractors.....

Old 08-17-2010, 08:39 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,722,407 times
I spent 18 years working for a few "warpigs" including NG. I am now working for the government. I mainly left for two things: continued medical coverage into retirement (even though I'll be paying for it) and a somewhat small pension paid by the government on top of my TSP (401K). The leave is much better also over time. I happen to be in one of those fields where I was able to make the transition and get a small raise. I have also done very well under NSPS although that is ending. I was getting annual 2-4% raises with the warpigs but got a better raise here. Again, that's all ending. I also really enjoy being the one "responsible" and calling the shots on how a project gets done and not having to keep my mouth shut working for someone's policies that I believe are inefficient. So I really enjoy the independence and autonomy I have as a civil servant.

I realize not all projects run this way and different government agencies could be HORRIBLE as compared to their contractor counterparts. Mine just wasn't.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:23 AM

648 posts, read 1,337,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by still_waiting View Post
An acquaintance of mine works for Booz Allen in Herndon, and I am starting a job as a Gov't employee specifically an Intel analyst at one of the agencies. My "friend" and I were talking and she was saying how Booz is always getting Gov't workers to come to them and that overall they are a better and more flexible career option that Gov't.

To that I said that I think that Gov't is more flexible because you can get cross trained and start a entirely new career path within the same agency, or even transfer agencies. Also Gov't is more likely to provide the extra training needed whereas the private entities expect you to be on the ground and running. Not to mention full tuition reimbursement UP FRONT.

Thanks for asking this question. There may be a time that I have to make this same decision, as I currently work for a defense contractor but have an interview with a federal agency next month; I was wondering this same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgeller View Post
Plus, with Secty Gate's recent comments about contractors.....
I missed the recent comments - what were they? Do you have a link?

Old 08-17-2010, 09:30 AM

105 posts, read 391,330 times
@ katyusha

Secty Gates is planning on cutting contractors by 10% for the three years. He's also targeting some DoD agencies like the Joint Forces Command.

This article talks about the contractors:
washingtonpost.com

Old 08-17-2010, 09:45 AM

648 posts, read 1,337,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgeller View Post
@ katyusha

Secty Gates is planning on cutting contractors by 10% for the three years. He's also targeting some DoD agencies like the Joint Forces Command.

This article talks about the contractors:
washingtonpost.com

Thanks for the article...that's kinda scary

Old 08-17-2010, 11:22 AM

564 posts, read 1,498,564 times
Both options are pretty good and a lot of those contractors’ employees work on government sites right alongside the government guys. I personally think the government is good to start out with, but I’d probably move to the private sector after 5 years or so. But it depends. If you think you can write a proposal, or be a bit of a salesman, you might consider working for a contractor as your will have more upward mobility. The government on the other hand, offers lots of fantastic training and technical development opportunities, especially in your field.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:39 AM

564 posts, read 1,498,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
Thanks for the article...that's kinda scary
Incidentally, the CIA budget it classified and Gates doesn't control it. Still a bit scary for contractors, though I heard they also kinda gave up on in-sourcing, so govt' jobs probably aren't much safer.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:50 AM

26,711 posts, read 41,904,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by still_waiting View Post

I have a friend who held a senior position with L-3. When he left they were doing a lot of layoffs.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:11 PM

628 posts, read 1,938,600 times
I had a 40-yr career with an intel agency. In my experience, many of my peers that crossed over to a contractor were those who were eligible for retirement buy-outs or straight retirement. They increased their income substantially, a primary motivation. I found that the vast majority of contractors working side-by-side with we government employees were excellent. But the agency was paying dearly for them in the short term. Purportedly, however, in the long term it was cheaper At contract termination they could be released for budgetary concerns, no retirement benefits to be paid, etc. The ability of a government agency to reduce near-term budgets by slashing contracts is becoming the current situation in the economic downturn. Curiously, several of our contractors--mostly young professionals--eventually gained employment with our agency. Here's my main point: I believe the latter group realized that over the long term the government position was more likely to be stable, and many of the benefits important for those with families was better. I found my government position an honorable career and one that gave my a sense of accomplishment. Most of my peers were good, hard workers, contrary to the stereotype perpetuated by some. I'm on your side in this debate with your friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia