Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 08:05 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,911,327 times

Advertisements

I am going to offer a bit of sage advice...

with a new baby your life is going to be stressful enough, lack of sleep adjusting to someone needing you 24/7. DO NOT HAVE you husband commute that is over an hour. It will seriously stress your marriage more than you know.
(I have 3 kids and the commute my hubby does is a big stress for the kids leaves at 6am home at 7-9pm) but we knew this going in.

Try to find a TH (most have yards of decent size) closer in. your budget is very tight for this area and you are going to have even more new expenses you never had before with a new baby.
Look in fairfax, Reston,Falls church Arlington etc... yes it will be older and probably need work but location here is key! (I'd kill for a 3 bedroom 1960's house in Mclean!!) consider this your "starter house"

Is your husband govt? I know that alot of the offices have great carpools from Ashburn into the federal bldgs. (hey cuts the overtime issue!)
Ashburn would be a place to consider if you have a carpool (it averages an hour using the toll and 66 with a carpool)

I will also say Gainsville is MUCH better than Fredericksburg. (I love fredericksburg...but would never consider the commute to DC... just too long!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 02:07 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,533,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
(I'd kill for a 3 bedroom 1960's house in Mclean!!)
Don't know about McLean, but there are a few of those over on the south side of Vienna in the low 500's...

Old 06-28-2007, 09:07 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,911,327 times
^ yeah but now we are in a house in Leesburg that we paid more for than we can sell at the moment.... (should have put the move off by 6mo!!)

Old 06-28-2007, 10:57 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,696,924 times
I'll second what 5stones said. A new baby will bring you incredible joy (congratulations, btw!), but there will be a lot of days when you are so tired that you'll be counting the minutes until your husband gets home. And this will happen in toddlerhood too!

Have your husband check with his new employer about whether they offer any kind of transportation subsidy and/or what the parking situation is. My husband has had free parking in employee lots in a few jobs in DC, but those are rare. At another job his employer paid for parking in a commercial parking lot. After a while he switched to Metro for convenience and less stress and paid it all himself. His current employer doesn't provide parking or pay for it, but they have some kind of partial subsidy for Metro.

So find out what will and won't be available -- it might affect where you choose to live and also will help in planning your budget. And if he is going to take Metro, finding out which line the office is located on may also factor into which part of NVA you move to.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:54 AM

53 posts, read 163,694 times
I live in Stafford and used to commute to K - Street in D.C. I would leave my house at 5:45 and get to the metro by 7 A.M. and that would usually put me there around 8 AM.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:37 PM

414 posts, read 2,284,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ittybitty24 View Post
I live in Stafford and used to commute to K - Street in D.C. I would leave my house at 5:45 and get to the metro by 7 A.M. and that would usually put me there around 8 AM.
That's one damn ugly commute!! Spending nearly 5hrs each day commuting is a monster! How long have you been doing this commute for?

Old 07-04-2007, 09:57 PM

40 posts, read 105,451 times
I would suggest Woodbridge. I grew up there and there are some nice houses for sale in my parents neighborhood. It's a great neighborhood. The houses are all approx. 20 years old but all kept nice and on nice lots. It's off Minnieville Road. You can PM for more info if you like. Actually my parents will have their house on the market soon! They're retiring to NC like everyone else and their mother. I currently live in NC, due to the military, and am about to move to Pittsburgh area. Thank you Marine Corps. lol. The commute from Woodbridge can be 45 mins. give or take if on a vanpool. Not too shabby. Best of luck.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,196 times
I live in Gordonsville, right outside of Charlottesville and work downtown DC (GW University area). I leave my house by 0330 and usually get home around 7pm. If anyone knows of a vanpool that leaves from Orange, VA or near the intersection of Routs 3 and 20 please let me know. Right now I drive to the VRE, take the Metro to Foggy Bottom and walk 5 blocks to Columbia Plaza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia