Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 12:51 PM

10 posts, read 70,830 times

Advertisements

My husband just accepted a job offer in downtown DC and we are in the process of deciding where to move and buy a house. It seems as though the housing costs in DC are very expensive and that the fredericksburg area is much more reasonable. With that note, can anyone give me some guidance on what my husbands commute would be like if we were to settle in the Fredericksburg area and if he was taking the train to Union Station (downtown DC)? And if he were to miss the train because I believe it only runs till 7 O'clock what options he would have to get him home? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by sibanez; 06-26-2007 at 01:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 01:30 PM

261 posts, read 1,666,659 times
You're looking at 2 hours each way by the time you include getting to/from the VRE/Metro stations. If you miss the last train you're looking at bus/metro as far as possible and cabbing it from there. I'm guessing as close as you can get would be Lorton via bus or Franconia/Springfield via Metro.

VRE Train Schedules
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (http://www.wmata.com/default.cfm - broken link)

Old 06-26-2007, 01:47 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,628 times
JB124 is correct. That's a very long commute to downtown DC. You are looking at an average of 2 hours each way if your husband has to take metro from Union Station to get to work. Other than VRE, your husband can consider commuting by carpool/vanpool or slugging. I had a co-worker who lived in Fredericksburg and when he had to work late, he would take Amtrak home.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:18 PM

743 posts, read 3,899,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
I had a co-worker who lived in Fredericksburg and when he had to work late, he would take Amtrak home.
Good point, it should be noted that the VRE station in Fredericksburg is the same as the Amtrak station... And again, like said before, maybe check out van pooling. They usually meet in the commuter lots. It's a long commute, but it sounds like you're on the right track... even if driving can save you 30 minutes, it's NOT worth the stress...

Old 06-26-2007, 02:22 PM

145 posts, read 834,511 times
My father in law did the VRE and carpools for several years. Up at 4am to get a parking spot at the VRE, 5am train to DC, arrive 6:45am, Metro to work, leave at 3-4pm, arrive F-burg 6-6:30pm, eat dinner, in bed at 8pm.

I would cut off most of my fingers before living that life. From what I hear the VRE is better than the gridlock on I-95 but still annoyingly slow and delay-prone.

Western Loudoun is nearly as cheap as Fred. So is Prince William (Manassas, Gainesville) on the western VRE line. There's also even cheaper West Va. (Charles Town, Harpers Ferry) on the MARC line (Maryland's VRE equivalent). I think it's a quicker drive to DC from the west.

Whatever you end up doing...tally up the monthly cost of VRE, gas to the station, parking, and metro to work. Add that to the monthly mortgage payment, then compare that figure to the monthly house/ transpo payment somewhere closer, like Woodbridge, Arlington, or Alexandria. It might be cheaper to live closer.

Don't forget the value of your husband's time, which only you and he can put a price on.

Last edited by jmarkd; 06-26-2007 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: forgot about Manassas

Old 06-26-2007, 02:32 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
All I can say is, if you value your family time, this is NOT the way to go. Get something smaller closer in. People in the area recognize that housing is high and there is no stigma to not having a large home on a large lot.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:45 PM

261 posts, read 1,666,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
All I can say is, if you value your family time, this is NOT the way to go. Get something smaller closer in. People in the area recognize that housing is high and there is no stigma to not having a large home on a large lot.
I really have to agree here. It is extremely important to think about quality of life, especially if you have young kids or other circumstances where seeing your spouse/kids for only 2-3 hours a night would be a hardship. Even if you take the 5:15 train in the morning and get home by 5 or 6 in the evening, you'll be in bed by 9pm or so.

Yankeesfan is right in that it's perfectly ok to have one of the smaller houses closer in, especially because the school districts are excellent.

Sibanez: What is your housing budget? Do you have kids?

Old 06-26-2007, 06:23 PM

10 posts, read 70,830 times
Default Thank you for the responses

Thanks for the responses. It's greatly appreciated!! We are expecting our first child this August and quality time with the family is definite. We wouldn't want it any other way. I guess Fredericksburg is out of the question... An hour commute is just about where we want to be for travel time. Thank you for the recommendations on other options of where to live, this is good information. We would really like to stay anywhere from 250-350 on a house/town house. We have a BIG dog so the condo idea is out of the question. Stafford was recommened to me as an area and so was woodbridge.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a realtor?

Last edited by sibanez; 06-26-2007 at 06:32 PM..

Old 06-27-2007, 06:35 AM

414 posts, read 2,280,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibanez View Post
Thanks for the responses. It's greatly appreciated!! We are expecting our first child this August and quality time with the family is definite. We wouldn't want it any other way. I guess Fredericksburg is out of the question... An hour commute is just about where we want to be for travel time. Thank you for the recommendations on other options of where to live, this is good information. We would really like to stay anywhere from 250-350 on a house/town house. We have a BIG dog so the condo idea is out of the question. Stafford was recommened to me as an area and so was woodbridge.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a realtor?
If you are willing to make some sacrifices on your housing options, and if you are patient, you'll be able to find a decent townhouse within the higher-end of your price range. I would first start off by going to HomesDatabase and doing some price/city searches so you will have a more accurate idea of what you can expect your money to purchase at your budget/expectations. You may actually determine, that renting is the better option at this time too. You can rent a very nice, 2-3 bedroom townhouse style apartments, with a gargage in many of the sought after areas close to the District for $1,500-$3,000 as well...

There are two major rental publications for the DC Metro area...you can view online at: Apartment Showcase.com - Apartments For Rent - Apartment Search in Maryland, Washington DC, Northern Virginia and ApartmentGuide.com - apartments for rent, apartment finder

Keep your options open, and be flexible...the commute your husband has planned will be extremely ugly, and will reduce your families quality of life tremendously!

Last edited by seldomseen; 06-27-2007 at 07:42 AM..

Old 06-27-2007, 07:51 AM

145 posts, read 834,511 times
Default Rent

I second seldomseen's suggestion: rent. You can rent for far less per month than a mortgage payment in this area. Renting costs 66-75% less than owning, even when you account for tax deductions.
If you really want to own your own home, read on...
I can tell you about Loudoun, where I live. In Leesburg and west of Leesburg (Hamilton, Purcellville, Lovettsville) you can find a few single-family homes for under $350k. Sterling has some too, but only the slummy parts. Lots of brick homes built in the '60s and '70s, on the then-standard 1/3 acre. Plenty of townhomes in that area for under $300 as well.
I'll PM you with realtor suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia