Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 01:42 PM

270 posts, read 908,561 times

Advertisements

Place and street names seem to be an endless source of confusion in this NoVa forum. What's Alexandria? Where's 21st Street in Arlington - which one? Falls Church High School isn't in Falls Church? It's in "Jefferson?" Huh? Of course, Thomas Jefferson High School is not in "Jefferson," it's in Alexandria, but students from Alexandria cannot attend TJ? Speaking of Jefferson, what's the difference between the Jefferson Davis Highway, the Richmond Highway and Route 1? What about the Shirley Highway and 395? It's all so confusing. No wonder newcomers are so confounded! Are there better examples? Are other places around the country as confusing as NoVa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 01:44 PM

170 posts, read 583,043 times
Get a GPS.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:00 PM

660 posts, read 1,704,676 times
Um...Falls Church HS most definitely has a Falls Church mailing address, and I'm not familiar with "Jefferson" used as a place name in NoVA. Also, I'm not sure why anyone would think that Thomas Jefferson High School would have to be in a place called Jefferson - there are George Washington High Schools in probably all fifty states, and nobody's that puzzled that they aren't all in Washington State or Washington, D.C.

Route 1 is both the Jefferson Davis Highway and Richmond Highway. It's not a local thing to have U.S. highways change names in different counties or jurisdictions. U.S. 50 is not called "Arlington Boulevard" or "Constitution Avenue" in Kansas City, and calling U.S. 1 "Capital Boulevard" like they do in Raleigh would confuse most locals here.

I will admit, though, the Virginia difference between independent cities and parts of the surrounding county with an identical mailing address is hard to grasp. We're definitely the odd state out in that regard.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:23 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
I think OP means the fact that the City of Falls Church's high school (George Mason) is not actually in the City of Falls Church - which is true, but it does have a Falls Church mailing address.

Plenty of roads around here have multiple names. That's why people tend to call roads by their number (Route 7, Route 50, Route 29, I-66) instead of names - unless you are talking about a specific address. I have NEVER heard anyone call I-66 "Custis Memorial Parkway" or VA-267 "Hirst-Brault Expressway." You just need to know the big ones - Route 7 is mostly Leesburg Pike, except in Alexandria where it's King St., Falls Church where it's Broad St., or in Leesburg where it's Market St., etc.

I don't think it's ridiculously crazy, like all the Peachtree streets in Atlanta.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:11 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I am used to the strange place names, overlapping zip codes, etc. because Westchester County in New York is not much different in that regard.

The OP is correct, though, Falls Church HS is in Fairfax County. In New York, this would be referred to as the P.O. as in Falls Church P.O., meaning that the postal service classifies it as Falls Church, but it lies outside the municipal boundaries. And, IIRC, that area of Providence District is categorized as the Jefferson CDP, but it's not a name that's in common use. People tend to refer to the neighborhoods in that area as the place names.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-19-2010, 05:42 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbros View Post
What about the Shirley Highway
You don't hear it called that so much anymore. I don't think we have any alternative names for 66. We'll need to work on that.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:46 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You don't hear it called that so much anymore. I don't think we have any alternative names for 66. We'll need to work on that.
Wikipedia:
Quote:
I-66 is named the "Custis Memorial Parkway" east of the Capital Beltway in Virginia.The name commemorates the Custis family, several of whose members (including Martha Dandridge Custis Washington, George Washington Parke Custis, Eleanor (Nellie) Parke Custis Lewis and Mary Anna Randolph Custis Lee) played prominent roles in Northern Virginia's history.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:47 PM

246 posts, read 1,354,678 times
welcome to NOVA. There are streets that go North -south but is broken apart by a street you can't drive across. You have to drive around to pick up that street again a block off of where you are going. Its typical old street design of the area. The city is terrible in gridding the streets. Also, the beltway is one of the most inefficient design of highway to get anywhere. All those miles of roads built and you are simply going 10-15 miles out of DC.

Another thing is Route 7 is really not a "route". Its a residential street with weird designs in some city to have "offramps". Routes should not have lights.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:00 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
I-66 is named the "Custis Memorial Parkway" east of the Capital Beltway in Virginia.The name commemorates the Custis family, several of whose members (including Martha Dandridge Custis Washington, George Washington Parke Custis, Eleanor (Nellie) Parke Custis Lewis and Mary Anna Randolph Custis Lee) played prominent roles in Northern Virginia's history.
The Custises need a better marketing dept. as I've never heard it referred to as that. A more appropriate name though would be The NIMBY Highway.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:47 AM

398 posts, read 732,523 times
"Routes" most certainly do have lights. Any road with a number is a "route" and most of them have lights except for interstate highways and other controlled-access freeways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia