Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 06:33 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Welcome back! You probably already know this, but just in case you don't, the accent is on the first syllable. PUR-cellville, not Pur-CELL-ville.
Also, it's pronounced more like the name "Percival". Because this is the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 06:37 PM

84 posts, read 202,006 times
I agree with all the previous posts. Purcellville is by far the friendliest and nicest town in Loudoun Co. The schools are awesome and they just built a brand new high school (Woodgrove) just north of town. Both Woodgrove and Loudoun Valley high are top notch. They also have 2 middle schools in Purcellville (Harmony and Blue Ridge) that are nice as well.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:53 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
The Bloom may end up closing but that Giant is gross. The Giant Foods of old Washington were such wonderful places. (Izzy Cohen must be turning in his grave at what they have done to his stores.) Ahold has completely junked them up and destroyed the market share they once had in the area.

Bloom is at least clean, the aisles are not overcrowded and the clerks are a lot more pleasant than at Giant.

It could turn into a NC grocery battle with the Giant closing . . . ya never know. The Giant people are going to be "razzled" by H-T and the Food Lion people will be Food Lion forever--it's also cheaper.

Also, an aside, Bloom/Food Lion is owned by Del Haize, a Belgium corporation, with their North American headquarters in Salisbury, NC. Giant is owned by Ahold, a Dutch corporation. At least, Harris-Teeter is still American owned.

Also, "PUR-si-ville" for pronunciation--basically slurred! Never emphasis on "Cell"

Old 09-28-2010, 07:06 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Welcome back! You probably already know this, but just in case you don't, the accent is on the first syllable. PUR-cellville, not Pur-CELL-ville.
Thanks. I say it wrong all the time and one of my co-workers always corrects me. I will have to reference this before I go to say it.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
The Bloom may end up closing but that Giant is gross. The Giant Foods of old Washington were such wonderful places. (Izzy Cohen must be turning in his grave at what they have done to his stores.) Ahold has completely junked them up and destroyed the market share they once had in the area.

Bloom is at least clean, the aisles are not overcrowded and the clerks are a lot more pleasant than at Giant.

It could turn into a NC grocery battle with the Giant closing . . . ya never know. The Giant people are going to be "razzled" by H-T and the Food Lion people will be Food Lion forever--it's also cheaper.

Also, an aside, Bloom/Food Lion is owned by Del Haize, a Belgium corporation, with their North American headquarters in Salisbury, NC. Giant is owned by Ahold, a Dutch corporation. At least, Harris-Teeter is still American owned.

Also, "PUR-si-ville" for pronunciation--basically slurred! Never emphasis on "Cell"
I live in NC now. I much prefer Wegman's (though we don't have one down here). It's Lowe's (not the hardware store the grocery store) or WalMart for now. HT is WAY overpriced and Food Lion is well Food Lion.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:31 PM

I must be the only one on the planet not enamoured with Wegmans . The few times I've been there I have walked all over God's half acre to find something and the sales clerks have been "less than helpful". And, there's too waaaay much temption to impulse buy. Last time, the check out person did not say one single word to me during the entire transaction. I don't "get" the hype about it.

The Bloom store in Purcellville is fine. They have a reasonable selection and they're cheaper than Giant. I know it's Food Lion but it is cleaner and stocked better than an average Food Lion. Ironically, the filthiest Food Lion I was ever in . . . . was in Salisbury!

Anyway, I do like Harris-Teeter, especially the one close to South Park Mall with the covered pick-up for groceries!!

But . . . my all-time favorite is Publix! Oh, my, I love it when they offer to load the car! Hopefully, Purcellville will see the H-T soon. The economy and some problems with the original devloper really slowed it down.

Where are you in NC?

Old 09-29-2010, 05:26 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,424 times
oh the bloom is horrible. I can't tell you how many times I've found old food - even had the cashier notice that my chicken smelled bad so she tossed it. and the lines are SO slow....omg I don't think I've ever been there and not had to wait 15 mins in line, even if there was only 1-2 people in front of me. HATE Bloom with a passion. Not to mention the ceiling almost caved in this winter with all the snow, no way it will last.

I don't like the Giant either, but it's got fresher food, better prices and is more busy (but with better cashiers so it goes quickly). This is why I shop at Wegmans, which as never been anything but awesome.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:46 AM

I like the self-checkout at Bloom. Never had a problem and the ceiling -- that's the structural concern of the building owner's fault, not specifically FL, and, face facts, that was a LOT of snow last year.

And, the cashier catching the chicken -- that's a good thing -- the new Giant would have just passed it on through.

I've moved around a lot so I guess I just miss the "old" Giant. But we digress about food stores . . .

Back to our main topic -- Purcellville is a delightful place to raise a family! (Not so great if you don't have children still in school, though. But that, too, is another topic)

Old 09-29-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I must be the only one on the planet not enamoured with Wegmans . The few times I've been there I have walked all over God's half acre to find something and the sales clerks have been "less than helpful". And, there's too waaaay much temption to impulse buy. Last time, the check out person did not say one single word to me during the entire transaction. I don't "get" the hype about it.

The Bloom store in Purcellville is fine. They have a reasonable selection and they're cheaper than Giant. I know it's Food Lion but it is cleaner and stocked better than an average Food Lion. Ironically, the filthiest Food Lion I was ever in . . . . was in Salisbury!

Anyway, I do like Harris-Teeter, especially the one close to South Park Mall with the covered pick-up for groceries!!

But . . . my all-time favorite is Publix! Oh, my, I love it when they offer to load the car! Hopefully, Purcellville will see the H-T soon. The economy and some problems with the original devloper really slowed it down.

Where are you in NC?
I'm in Concord - a little NE of Charlotte. Not far from Salisbury in fact. I think it's about an hour.

I've been in the Bloom in Purcellville while visiting some friends and it was ok. Wegman's is huge, but the prices are cheaper than alot of places around (if you aren't buying the prepared foods).

I do miss the Giant of old. When I moved to NoVa in 1996 that was the Giant I remember.

Our kids are 2.5 (3 in Jan) and 16 months. So, we have a ways to go until they are out of school. I am happy to hear the schools are excellent. I know the drawback will be the commute, but we will have to deal. I will be working out of the office in Ashburn (until i closes and then it will be Herndon/Reston). My DH works in Sterling right off of 28. I also have the option of working from home so I will do that on some days.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:16 PM

Oh, yes, I know Concord -- college age daughter's first boyfriend was from Salisbury and we've been to Concord Mills, many, many times!

You'll fit right well in Purcellville. Can't give you any advice about preschools or schools. Our kids were past pre-school and went to private schools when we were there. The public schools seem good and, if there is a drawback, it would be the lack of private school options in Loudoun County. (Ours were in boarding school when we moved there). There is also a large home-school network in Loudoun.

Your commutes should be manageable -- it's commutes that have to go into McLean, DC or further south in Fairfax that are the real killers.

Best of luck with the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia