Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:07 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,959,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I HATE HATE HATE this cold. I didn't even leave the house yesterday. Today we ventured out, and it was a bit better as it wasn't as windy. But we were at a store near a playground we like, and I was bummed we couldn't go. I'm taking the kids to Florida in a couple of weeks, and I cannot wait. I might even scout out some jobs and homes while I am there. :-) I hate the winter so much.
I was thinking the same thing yesterday! Why oh why did we retire to western Loudoun where it's SO cold?!! What was I thinking? I HATE this cold!

The good news for DH, all the local ski resorts will be open this weekend! He has a choice of where to patrol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 10:22 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,557,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I know the news weather folks have been saying we had similar back in '03 (I think) - but I honestly can't remember it being this cold, this soon - didn't have time to acclimate. I just want to hibernate, didn't get to even wear the in-between cute coats, etc. Anybody else hating winter already? I used to like to stroll Old Town Alex., Fredericksburg, etc. over the Christmas season to see all the lights and decorations but I don't even want to think about it now. Sadly, I think the local shops will be losing some money this holiday season due to the weather.
It has been quite cold indeed! Don't fret, just stay out of the wind and find a nice sunny spot for the few hours of the day we have sunlight (like my cat does). Before you know it, it will be 100 degrees and humid again.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:24 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,255,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuric View Post
I'm not complaining. I am from upstate NY and have been through worse. I dealt with 15 degrees daily, even below zero and with snow. I had a friend who was originally from North Dakota and he was laughing at NY's winter.
Same experience here I should note that I actually hate winter.

But, growing up in Michigan..and having suffered through two Minnesota winters that were even worse than MI. But, for some reason I always heard of these brutal NY winters, I think we get it from movies....so, when I moved to NY,, I was expecting the worse, but they seemed SO MILD in comparison. Ridiculously mild.

That being said, now having been out of MI for so many years, give me any winter at all, and I will complain a little about it

Old 12-09-2010, 04:35 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,466,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiketsu View Post
Co-signed. I have no trouble with week after week of 100+ degree days in summer, but I turn into a whimpering, whiny brat come the first day I have to turn on my heater. It's so hard to get up in the morning when it is dark and cold. It's hard to leave work when it is dark and cold. I feel like the day is over, and I can't muster the energy to do anything other than burrow under a blanket and waste time on the internet until bedtime.

There may be a silver lining. I heard on WTOP that this should be a dry, mild winter because of La Nina. Basically, we're having our coldest weather now, and January and February will be smooth sailing. Here's hoping.

From your keyboard to God's ears!

Old 12-09-2010, 05:59 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,458,192 times
I confess that I am a warm weather person. Anything under 45 and I am freezing, so the past week or so has been torture. I relocated here from Charlotte in August (glad I missed that snow last winter!) and I am having a hard time getting used to this cold.

Sadly, it is only early Dec, so its just the start of a long, cold season (dark, too!). Come on March, hurry up and get here!!

Old 12-09-2010, 06:33 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,743,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Can California's economy please get better so I can move back to where it's currently 70 degrees please?!?!
My thoughts exactly.. DH is in SoCal right now on a business trip and I am jealous!!!

Old 12-09-2010, 07:23 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,148,839 times
My thoughts about our winters:

1. The first stretch of cold weather feels the coldest, our bodies need to adjust.

2. Going out and embracing it (dressed smartly of course), perhaps with exercise pays dividends later, we get exposed to it and don't feel as cold later.

3. I've noticed some stores and public buildings extra cold this year, are they cutting back to save money?

4. Climate change is not a hoax.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:32 AM

506 posts, read 1,404,038 times
Coald weather is GREAT! Embrace it :-) Warm weather is SOOOOO overated!

Old 12-09-2010, 09:05 AM

4,460 posts, read 8,152,801 times
I've been on vacation for the past 3 weeks in the Philippines, and I come back to this miserable weather. Boy do I miss the 75-85 degree days of "Winter" in the islands!!! If I wasn't stuck in that plane for 15 hours, I wouldn't have departed when I felt the breeze at the hatchway...

Old 12-09-2010, 09:34 AM

947 posts, read 1,404,820 times
After living overseas for four years some time back in a tropical climate where every day of the year was like Washington in August (90 degrees and 90 percent humidity) I LOVE the cold weather. As befits my peasant ancestry, I've been outside for two hours every afternoon this week working to get the tons of fallen leaves out of my yard. I can do without the wind, but sunny and crisp is my definition of perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia