Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 05:16 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,488,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
No response speaks volumes. Those folks are still out there somewhere.

LOL! I guess you're right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 05:56 AM

4,476 posts, read 8,182,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
No response speaks volumes. Those folks are still out there somewhere.
Donner party of two...

Old 01-28-2011, 06:42 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,826,478 times
I wanted to leave earlier, but I took the VRE in to work and was kind of stuck. There is a mid-day train, but I was told I could leave at 2 pm, after that train left, so I had to wait for the 4:00 train (which was packed). I got to Manassas around 5:30 pm and it took me until 11:30 pm to get home in Centreville. I didn't take the day off because I don't have any time off yet (just started this new job four weeks ago).

I also didn't hear the change in the weather report. Last I heard it was starting around 7 pm and would be the worst at night. Also, my drive from the VRE to home is against rush hour traffic, so I figured I would be fine hitting the road at 5 pm (when my train was supposed to arrive).

But I did fine when I left the VRE parking lot (after clearing off my car, yes, including the roof). I only have front wheel drive, but my car has good tires so I was able to climb up hills. I had enough gas (although I used up half a tank and my car--Pontiac Vibe--is fuel efficiency and usually gets 36mpg). But I was smart enough to turn off the engine when I could since there was no sense burning up fuel for no reason. Especially since I didn't know how long it would take. My car also has a high clearance for a car, so I was able to get though most unplowed areas. It was surreal seeing all the abandoned cars and trucks (and SUVs too! They must have broken down or run out of gas... I can't see how they could be "stuck" unless they had bald tires or something).

Side note, I love my little Pontiac Vibe. I am so sad GM isn't making Pontiac anymore and will never be able to get another.

I got home to find out there was no power, but I was dead tired and didn't care. I woke up with power and heat though. Thank goodness. The boss told me I didn't need to come in the next day and that I could work from home, he's a great guy. I really think if he knew how bad it was going to be and the VRE schedule, he would have let me go even earlier than he did. Next time I won't be shy about asking him.

Anyway, when I finally sell my house and move, I swear I am moving close to the metro train line. They had problems too, but I would have been able to leave earlier in any case.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:00 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,717,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Side note, I love my little Pontiac Vibe. I am so sad GM isn't making Pontiac anymore and will never be able to get another.
You can get a Toyota Matrix. It is the Pontiac Vibe.

Also, can I recommend viewing The Capital Weather Gang on-line for your weather reports. Lots of detail and even the day before they were calling for the "intense" part of the storm to occur between 3-10pm.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:03 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,170,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
You can get a Toyota Matrix. It is the Pontiac Vibe.

Also, can I recommend viewing The Capital Weather Gang on-line for your weather reports. Lots of detail and even the day before they were calling for the "intense" part of the storm to occur between 3-10pm.
They routinely have the most reliable forecasts.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:11 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,826,478 times
Thanks for the tip on the Capital Weather Gang. I will have to keep an eye on them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia