Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 06:19 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,163,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neubaukl View Post
To those of you who enjoy it here, that's fine by me, and I'm sure you have your reasons. But for me, a young person who enjoys walking, indie coffeehouses, art galleries, great, non-chain restaurants, and friendly people, living in NOVA makes me unhappy. I hope that doesn't make me a "hater."
I don't think a comment like that makes you a hater. It sounds like a realistic analysis of why you aren't happy. Part of the problem is also that you live out in Ashburn. You could find the lifestyle you want closer in to DC. (The problem, of course, is that the closer you get to DC the more expensive it will be. Also, it may be a long commute if your job is in Ashburn.)

I also think Nova really isn't geared for people under 25. There are a few places closer in to DC that appeal to the 20-somethings, but we're primarily a suburban area that appeals mostly to families. Maybe that's starting to change, since so many kids are now moving here straight out of college, but change doesn't happen over night. So it makes sense to me that a single 20-something in Ashburn is going to be bored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 06:24 AM

4,262 posts, read 9,301,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I think a big problem is people moving here without doing their homework. Come on people. I so bad want to move to New Hampshire in the near future. I've been there a number of times for work and pleasure and love the place. But I'd never move there without doing more homework. I would certainly ask for advice from CD members in New Hampshire but I wouldn't make a decision where to live without visiting the place, several times if possible.

I can say that I'm tired of this place but I've been here since 1973. There are a number of things I don't like about this place but there are many things I love about it also. I would miss certain things here but not the traffic, housing costs, illegal imigration problems, crime and some other stuff as well. I don't feel the people in the NOVA are much different then what I've met in New England or in my home state of Fla. or any one of the dozens of states I've visited over the years. People are good or bad depending on your views no matter where you are. Snobs or outgoing no matter where you are. Friendly or unfriendly no matter where and so on. To move here sight unseen is just asking for trouble. (For those who did)

This is very true, I was just reading a post on another forum and this poster was saying she had lived next door to her neighbor for 10 yrs and this last week was the first time they had ever met and they live in CO. Sounds kinda like some of the post we have seen on here where people complain about not knowing their neighbors. It seems to me unless you are living in the town where you grew up, the idea that there is this tightknit neighborhood feel anywhere is unrealistic.

Plain and simple NOVA will be what you make of it, no matter where in NOVA you live. I agree to move here sight unseen is asking for trouble, I was really grateul we got the chance to come on temp assignment for 6 months.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:12 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,116,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
We are trying to get out - but not without a job first - we are not stupid enough to leave without a job in this economy. . .
I thought one of the functions of this forum was to educate people about different parts of the country - why just give them the positive side when there is also a negative side?
Bingo! I've always enjoyed hearing about both sides--and I do believe it helps those who are considering relocating here.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
With that said, even if job/price considerations rule out Alexandria/Arlington/DC, and Reston is too chainy/faux, why not Herndon, Leesburg, or even Winchester? Sure it won't be the "authentic OTA/Orange Line/Columbia Pike experience" but it'll be 50% of the experience for 40-70% of the price. Or something.
No, Winchester is 100% experience for 100% of its price. It is nothing like NoVA.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Just a Friday night rant:
I have no sympathy for you if you hate it that much here then do what others in your situation have done and leave.. Move on!! Let us enjoy this great area and all that it has to offer, we dont need all these haters here.
Guess I'm coming into this kinda late and maybe there was a prelude spawning this thread -- but I don't get it. People are allowed to vent and rant on this forum and have aptly done so.

Seems like a hateful thread about hate that feeds a fire that you want to get rid of.

Or something like that.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:18 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,630,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Guess I'm coming into this kinda late and maybe there was a prelude spawning this thread -- but I don't get it. People are allowed to vent and rant on this forum and have aptly done so.

Seems like a hateful thread about hate that feeds a fire that you want to get rid of.

Or something like that.
Well if others vent and rant on here then why cant I? Actually I am just tired of hearing people over and over tell me they hate living here , their life is miserable and Nova has ruined their life in mistery and blah blah blah stop moaning and groaning and freakin' do something about it for god sakes.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:19 PM

177 posts, read 457,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Just a Friday night rant:
I have no sympathy for you if you hate it that much here then do what others in your situation have done and leave.. Move on!! Let us enjoy this great area and all that it has to offer, we dont need all these haters here.
I would stop going into Northern Virginia is my job wasn't in NOVA. I work in Tysons corner but live in Maryland. My commute is hellish and the chicks in NOVA are just so stuck up. Oh trust me, I would leave this place if I could get a decent job elsewhere.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:51 PM

15,177 posts, read 27,936,888 times
Perhaps because the "chicks" don't like being called chicks??????

Old 02-09-2011, 05:05 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,117,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShrek View Post
I would stop going into Northern Virginia is my job wasn't in NOVA. I work in Tysons corner but live in Maryland. My commute is hellish and the chicks in NOVA are just so stuck up. Oh trust me, I would leave this place if I could get a decent job elsewhere.
I was surprised to find out that Montgomery County grew as much as it did over the past decade. Given that it now has almost a million people, surely there must be some job there for a Silver Spring dude that wouldn't force him to come to Tysons. I would hate to travel from Silver Spring to Tysons and back every day.

Maryland Politics - 2010 Census: Montgomery, Prince George's populations soar, Baltimore shrinks

Last edited by JD984; 02-09-2011 at 05:31 PM..

Old 02-09-2011, 05:55 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,881,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
What??? I thought this was the ''sunshine and puppies'' forum where no one ever says anything negative about NOVA!
Yeah, after ya'll ran the haters off (or think ya'll did.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia