Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 04:33 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,624,565 times

Advertisements

Just a Friday night rant:
I have no sympathy for you if you hate it that much here then do what others in your situation have done and leave.. Move on!! Let us enjoy this great area and all that it has to offer, we dont need all these haters here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 04:50 PM

2,517 posts, read 3,420,253 times
Wow. What a profound thread.

Military personnel, for example, don't have the option of just "leaving" when they choose. Ever think of that possibility?

Is diversity of opinion ruining your enjoyment of NoVA? This is a city-data forum, not the "I-Love-NoVA" forum. (Though a few posters seem determined to make it that way in their bullying of those who find living here to be a challenge.)

Old 02-04-2011, 05:10 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,789,004 times
I respect NoVa and most of its residents (who probably aren't from there), but I do sometimes find myself to be skeptical about such a highly regarded place, when I have lived places where the median income was 90% less than Fairfax County, but people had nicer homes, with less crime and better medical/dental care for the average citizen, as well as a much better climate.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:12 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,809,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Just a Friday night rant:
I have no sympathy for you if you hate it that much here then do what others in your situation have done and leave.. Move on!! Let us enjoy this great area and all that it has to offer, we dont need all these haters here.
Ya'll can't have it both ways. You can't consistently dump on areas (I notice Hampton Roads gets trashed a lot on this forum) and get mad when other people consistently dump on your area. This is a information board, not all of it will be positive.

BTW, two main NoVA detractors (Ya'll know who) did relocate to other areas after tireless complaints from other NoVA regulars.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:24 PM

4,460 posts, read 8,152,801 times
I just want to post before this gets locked

I'm not taking sides. NoVa is where I live, not who I am...

Old 02-04-2011, 06:01 PM

Military personal who dont like it here will leave eventually but there are people that have been here for YEARS who hate it with a passion and still wont leave.. I dont understand why someone would live in a place that they are so miserable in for such a long period of time. And to the poster who said this is not a I love nova board and Alanboy I understand your point but you dont get what I am saying; I understand people dont like Northern Va. and I am FINE with that.. Its not for everyone! I get it but like I said why stay if you can leave? No one is trapped here.. Sure I have a contract with my job but if I came home every night moaning and complaining about how much I hate it here and my life was truly effected by it then I wouldnt put myself in a situation of lasting discomfort and being an emotional wreck for years just because I have a contract.. break it.. move on and be happy..

Old 02-04-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Military personal who dont like it here will leave eventually but there are people that have been here for YEARS who hate it with a passion and still wont leave.. I dont understand why someone would live in a place that they are so miserable in for such a long period of time. And to the poster who said this is not a I love nova board and Alanboy I understand your point but you dont get what I am saying; I understand people dont like Northern Va. and I am FINE with that.. Its not for everyone! I get it but like I said why stay if you can leave? No one is trapped here.. Sure I have a contract with my job but if I came home every night moaning and complaining about how much I hate it here and my life was truly effected by it then I wouldnt put myself in a situation of lasting discomfort and being an emotional wreck for years just because I have a contract.. break it.. move on and be happy..
You say that like breaking a contract easy. There could be bonuses and money you have to have come out of your pocket to break it. Considering the high COL in NoVA which has folks living paycheck-to-paycheck, you may end up sleeping under a freeway in your next destination because you had to pay $$$ to get free of NoVA.

Also, if you are barely making it here, how are you going to save up some cash to get out if you have $10 left over after paying your rent and other bills?

Old 02-04-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
You say that like breaking a contract easy. There could be bonuses and money you have to have come out of your pocket to break it. Considering the high COL in NoVA which has folks living paycheck-to-paycheck, you may end up sleeping under a freeway in your next destination because you had to pay $$$ to get free of NoVA.

Also, if you are barely making it here, how are you going to save up some cash to get out if you have $10 left over after paying your rent and other bills?
I know several people in my company that have broken their contract they just suck it up, lesson learned, there are ways to get out if one truly wanted to. Sure you would be in debt but Ill take debt over being in pure misery. Money isnt always the key to happiness

Old 02-04-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
suck it up, lesson learned, there are ways to get out if one truly wanted to. Sure you would be in debt but Ill take debt over being in pure misery. Money isnt always the key to happiness
No but a lack of it or problems with it will put you on the express train to misery.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:43 PM

2,517 posts, read 3,420,253 times
Oneasterisk, thanks for making me laugh!

Teebyrd86, people come to city-data to ask questions and get answers. Not all the answers are going to be positive. Living in NoVA requires a person to make trade-offs or concessions to commutes, cost of living, etc. It's important that city-data does allow less-than-enthusiastic posts in order to provide a reality check to potential newcomers.

I am moving out soon. Very happy that we never bought a house here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia