Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:46 PM

648 posts, read 1,334,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Someone found her and kept her overnight. As I was on my way into town there was a sign on the stop sign. The family isn't home, but I 've called and left them on a note on the door!

Hooray!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 01:12 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,457,144 times
Quote:
[/b]

Let's hope the person that finds her does something more than you "possibly" would have done.
Wow gee thanks. I'll hope that's just stress showing because I was thinking about you and your dog all morning and was just going to post that I drove the length of Silcott Springs into Purcellville this morning and had my whole family on the lookout for your dog. I actually got misty when I saw your dog had been found. Well I guess I'll just be happy for your dog. My kids will be thrilled your dog was found.

Do you honestly expect me to take a stray unidentified dog into my home with another dog and two young children? sorry...not gonna happen. I have called animal control before on another dog and I'm sure I would have done so again if I saw an unidentified dog roaming loose but I will not take it inside my house. I have nowhere to keep the dog away from my own and with no tags, I wouldn't trust that it had any shots.

I did call the owners who had properly identified themselves and their dogs, which is clearly more than any other person in the neighborhood did because they were quite aways from their own homes and it took until they got to me for them to be found. Sorry for the tough love, but put a collar on that dog with identifying tags every time it leaves the house.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:58 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,964,041 times
[quote=arielmina;17968405]Wow gee thanks. I'll hope that's just stress showing because I was thinking about you and your dog all morning and was just going to post that I drove the length of Silcott Springs into Purcellville this morning and had my whole family on the lookout for your dog. I actually got misty when I saw your dog had been found. Well I guess I'll just be happy for your dog. My kids will be thrilled your dog was found.

Do you honestly expect me to take a stray unidentified dog into my home with another dog and two young children? sorry...not gonna happen. I have called animal control before on another dog and I'm sure I would have done so again if I saw an unidentified dog roaming loose but I will not take it inside my house. I have nowhere to keep the dog away from my own and with no tags, I wouldn't trust that it had any shots.

I did call the owners who had properly identified themselves and their dogs, which is clearly more than any other person in the neighborhood did because they were quite aways from their own homes and it took until they got to me for them to be found. Sorry for the tough love, but put a collar on that dog with identifying tags every time it leaves the house.[/quote]

I don't expect anyone to do anything, but it was great that someone did. Though the bolded is exactly what the family did that found my dog. They could tell that she was obviously well cared for and had a family. I guess I will take it up w/ the propane company as they are the ones that left our back gate open - she was in a fenced in yard.

as for the second bolded part I don't need the snark. Your prior post towards the end of it sounded kinda snarky to me and that's not what I needed. I didn't and don't need to be scolded.

Thanks for thinking of my dog and being on the lookout that I do appreciate very much.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:18 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,953,982 times
Quote:
Thanks. I called them and they hadn't seen her. I called animal control and left a message. I placed an ad on craigslist and I plan to see if I can post something to the Purcellville town site as well as to our HOA site.

Our number isn't on her collar and she actually wasn't wearing it as she was in the backyard. She NEVER goes anywhere without me.
We never take off the dogs collars, for just this reason. You just never know when there will be an emergency, when someone will leave a gate open, a door open, whatever. You have little kids, of course they will sometimes forget and leave a gate open. Just leave a collar on her, it's easy, and if (when) she gets lose again, her rescuers can call you and save you hours of agony.

Last edited by Denton56; 02-21-2011 at 02:28 PM..

Old 02-21-2011, 02:18 PM

[quote=Riley09swb;17969206]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
Wow gee thanks. I'll hope that's just stress showing because I was thinking about you and your dog all morning and was just going to post that I drove the length of Silcott Springs into Purcellville this morning and had my whole family on the lookout for your dog. I actually got misty when I saw your dog had been found. Well I guess I'll just be happy for your dog. My kids will be thrilled your dog was found.

I did call the owners who had properly identified themselves and their dogs, which is clearly more than any other person in the neighborhood did because they were quite aways from their own homes and it took until they got to me for them to be found. Sorry for the tough love, but put a collar on that dog with identifying tags every time it leaves the house.[/quote]

I don't expect anyone to do anything, but it was great that someone did. Though the bolded is exactly what the family did that found my dog. They could tell that she was obviously well cared for and had a family. I guess I will take it up w/ the propane company as they are the ones that left our back gate open - she was in a fenced in yard.

as for the second bolded part I don't need the snark. Your prior post towards the end of it sounded kinda snarky to me and that's not what I needed. I didn't and don't need to be scolded.

Thanks for thinking of my dog and being on the lookout that I do appreciate very much.
As I said, I hope your response was just due to understandable stress. There was no need to snark back at me, and I'm sorry that you continue to feel the need to. I'm glad your dog found its way to a nice neighbor -a as I'm sure all the owners of the strays I have found have been that I found their dog. As I said, I am happy you found your dog and my kids are thrilled. If I choose not to expose my kids and my puppy to an unidentified stray, well that's my choice. Sorry you think me a bad person. My dog is microchipped and has a collar on all day, inside the house or out, except at bedtime. But that's just me. Your dog, your choice.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Someone found her and kept her overnight. As I was on my way into town there was a sign on the stop sign. The family isn't home, but I 've called and left them on a note on the door!
YIPPEEEE, I am SOOO glad to hear that especially with 4 inches of snow on the way out here! Now, put her collar on and do NOT take it off!

Old 02-21-2011, 02:32 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,964,041 times
Quote:
oh I would be worried absolutely sick if my dog was lost...always micro-chip and never let them out without a collar with your number on it. I can tell you in the last year since we moved to Round Hill, we have found two lost dogs in our (small) yard. For some reason they like it at our house, must be our female dog Both of them had a collar with a number and I called both of the owners and they came within minutes. If the dog didn't have a tag, I'm not sure what I would have done, possibly nothing.

So, let me explain real quick. This is what sounded a bit snarky to me earlier today. I responded the way I did because I did hope that someone would do more - they didn't have to, but I hoped they did.

I'm not trying to tell you what you should or shouldn't do. I was only telling you what someone did for me which I was extremely grateful. It's your house your choice and I don't judge as it's not my place.

I'm just happy that I have my dog back and like I said thanks for thinking of us and driving and keeping an eye out ( I was sincere in that and still am).

Old 02-21-2011, 02:33 PM

[quote=arielmina;17969596]
Quote:

As I said, I hope your response was just due to understandable stress. There was no need to snark back at me, and I'm sorry that you continue to feel the need to. I'm glad your dog found its way to a nice neighbor -a as I'm sure all the owners of the strays I have found have been that I found their dog. As I said, I am happy you found your dog and my kids are thrilled. If I choose not to expose my kids and my puppy to an unidentified stray, well that's my choice. Sorry you think me a bad person. My dog is microchipped and has a collar on all day, inside the house or out, except at bedtime. But that's just me. Your dog, your choice.
Just curious, why do you take the collar off at bedtime? Our dog's collar accidentally got left at the vet's office last week because they removed it to give him a bath. Since my dh took him in, I assumed he had the collar. I was rather nervous having a dog with no id overnight but he is micro chipped, and 15 years old, and never, ever, leaves our property. But no one ever knows, he could decide to roam, so we watched him like a hawk when he went outside that night.

Thank you for all that you did to help OP find his dog. You're a good doggie person.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:41 PM

[quote=Denton56;17969835]
Quote:

Just curious, why do you take the collar off at bedtime? Our dog's collar accidentally got left at the vet's office last week because they removed it to give him a bath. Since my dh took him in, I assumed he had the collar. I was rather nervous having a dog with no id overnight but he is micro chipped, and 15 years old, and never, ever, leaves our property. But no one ever knows, he could decide to roam, so we watched him like a hawk when he went outside that night.

Thank you for all that you did to help OP find his dog. You're a good doggie person.

right now she sleeps in a crate because she's a 5 month old puppy and I prefer her to not have the collar on in the crate. It goes on immediately in the morning the minute she steps out of the crate. I'm sure when she's old enough to sleep outside the crate, she'll have her collar on.

I have heard too many horror stories about dogs without microchips going to the pound, and ending up put to sleep before the owner can get there. Obviously I'm a big fan of microchipping.

My dog is also a yellow lab so I just couldn't shake how I'd feel if she was lost and alone so since I needed to go to Purcellville anyway, we wanted to help out looking for her. I'm so very happy she's found.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:44 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,613,743 times
Please put a collar with a phone number on your dog and have him wear it ALL the time. I can't even begin to tell you the number of loose dogs I've picked up over the years that either don't have a collar or if they do have a collar on, the tag doesn't include any contact information. Consider this a lesson learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia