Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 08:56 PM

555 posts, read 2,703,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfronz View Post
did i say it was the best place to live in Northern Virginia? pretty sure i didn't. i merely said it wasn't this awful place to go and raise a family. It's also sort of ignorant to imply that just because there are a few more illegal immigrants in Prince William than elsewhere that the crime is so much worse. Last time i checked illegal immigrants are everywhere in Northern VA and the traffic also sucks everywhere in Northern VA. I pointed out that areas east of I-95 weren't the best and I will add if i were looking for a family atmosphere that particular part of Woodbridge wouldn't exactly be my choice. Bottom line, in GENERAL it is not a bad area to live in/raise a family. It's not perfect but I can't really think of any area that is.
I disagree. It's not a great place to raise to a family. With the influx of illegals came the hit and runs, MS13 type gangs and house overcrowding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 02:46 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,620,697 times
Nitrovic, can you please state this utopian place you have in mind that exists in Northern VA so our poster can research it further. As mentioned before, illegal immigrants exist in all parts of the Northern VA suburbs, yes gangs have a presence up here but that also exists in all metropolitan areas. House overcrowding has been a problem all over this area, what do you expect in a place where housing prices are so ridiculous. I was involved in a hit and run near the 14th Street Bridge, that too can happen anywhere, and PS it doesn't always involve illegal immigrants.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfronz View Post
Nitrovic, can you please state this utopian place you have in mind that exists in Northern VA so our poster can research it further. As mentioned before, illegal immigrants exist in all parts of the Northern VA suburbs, yes gangs have a presence up here but that also exists in all metropolitan areas. House overcrowding has been a problem all over this area, what do you expect in a place where housing prices are so ridiculous. I was involved in a hit and run near the 14th Street Bridge, that too can happen anywhere, and PS it doesn't always involve illegal immigrants.
We are not talking about other metro areas, hence the forum "Northern Va". I personally don't think Woodbridge is a very nice place to live and raise a family, just a personal opinion from living and working in the area for the past 30 years. If you like Woodbridge, more power to you. Maybe i'm jaded from being a police officer there for many years. Everybody has various opinions on what "nice" is. And yes, anybody can do a hit/run. However, i noticed that the large percentage of the ones i worked in Woodbridge were done by illegals. Even if we did catch them, they would bond out and never show up to court (they all had fake id's so we couldn't prove who they were). A lot of people got tired of dealing with that.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:06 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,620,697 times
ok i will agree to disagree with you. I was just trying to imply that woodbridge wasn't a place to be afraid of living in just from personal experience from visiting friends down in that area who loved it. i was making the comparison because I thought it might be helpful considering what the posters experiences were like in South Florida. I live in Arlington so you are right i guess people's opinions on what is nice are going to be different but since you are in law enforcement down there i will take your word for it. (:

Old 12-28-2007, 08:28 AM

257 posts, read 1,131,997 times
stay away from State Streets, and right off rt 1 from about PWC line down to Stafford. Esp Triangle, Dumfries area. It is not all that bad its just not a desirable area there on Rt 1. Traffic and alot of slum shopping centers. Other than that, there is a new developement in Featherstone past the bad neighborhoods on the water, Very nice and witht he market this low id say affordable. Its kid friendly and close to everything you need. And yes Lake Ridge is also very nice. Its very quiet back there. Good Luck

Old 12-30-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2LiveNCities View Post
stay away from State Streets, and right off rt 1 from about PWC line down to Stafford. Esp Triangle, Dumfries area. It is not all that bad its just not a desirable area there on Rt 1. Traffic and alot of slum shopping centers. Other than that, there is a new developement in Featherstone past the bad neighborhoods on the water, Very nice and witht he market this low id say affordable. Its kid friendly and close to everything you need. And yes Lake Ridge is also very nice. Its very quiet back there. Good Luck
It's a shame about the State streets. When i grew up in the area (late 70's) it was a nice place to live. That place is a dump now along with Willowbrook across the street. Horrible. I hope one day they can get it back to it's original state.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:44 AM

87 posts, read 126,667 times
Remember, there is no "city" of Woodbridge. It is, instead, a large unincorporated area encompassing zip codes 22191, 22192, 22193, 22194 and 22195. Some areas are exceptionally good (22192) and others are in a hurt locker (22191, 22193). Trust your realtor. He/she will point you to a safe, well-kept neighborhood.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:49 AM

87 posts, read 126,667 times
Default "Illegals" an overblown issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
I disagree. It's not a great place to raise to a family. With the influx of illegals came the hit and runs, MS13 type gangs and house overcrowding.
Oh stop with all this talk about "illegals." PWC has been in the news recently because the county govt is trying to "clamp down" on day laborers, etc. I have lived here 30+ years and have never encountered an "MS13" gang (though the Potomac News newspaper said "gang members" from an unknown group were arrested near Manassas).

A greater fear should be the anti-Hispanic skinheads with their brown shirts and jackboots.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggjacobsen View Post
Remember, there is no "city" of Woodbridge. It is, instead, a large unincorporated area encompassing zip codes 22191, 22192, 22193, 22194 and 22195. Some areas are exceptionally good (22192) and others are in a hurt locker (22191, 22193). Trust your realtor. He/she will point you to a safe, well-kept neighborhood.
I agree with the first part. But the second i disagree with BIGTIME. Realtors are like everyone else, they want money. I would check on boards like this and then go to the area your are looking at during the night as well as the day. Go check out the bus stops. You'll get a good idea of what is going on.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:26 AM

566 posts, read 2,986,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
I agree with the first part. But the second i disagree with BIGTIME. Realtors are like everyone else, they want money. I would check on boards like this and then go to the area your are looking at during the night as well as the day. Go check out the bus stops. You'll get a good idea of what is going on.
You're right...all we care about is getting paid, moving on to the next client and then trying to screw them over harder than the last client we had. Talk about a successful business model!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia