Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 03:32 AM

192 posts, read 263,733 times

Advertisements

If you saw the demographics of the "Head Start Kids;" you would be really concerned about your future tax bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 04:02 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times
If everyone judged a community by crime stats, nobody would want to stay anywhere in the country. The crime stats only tell one side of the story. When I moved away from FL, I found a site that breaks down crime and type of crime by zip code and I typed in my former zip code. It was considered to be riddled with violent crime, high rish for crime to persons as well as property. Could have fooled me! I left my doors unlocked, my car unlocked, windows open as I slept and tended my garden in a bathing suit (it's FL and I never got used to the heat). Never had an ounce of trouble. I wasn't the only one. My neighbors were oblivious to any trouble in the area as well.

What the crime stats don't tell you is that domestic disputes are figured into violence against persons. OK. Well in my view, domestic diturbances have nothing to do with me nor the community - it is aimed - and remians within one home. Still, it is recorded as an act of violence and that adds to the crime stats.

Then you have drug abuse and alcoholism. Never affected me. Never affected my neighbors.

But then, it was a rural area very big on hunting and target shooting. Folks walking down the lane with a rifle was common. Maybe that should be a major hint to others. If you are in a community of hunters and it is known that the area is populated with heavily armed citizens, youa re left alone - as in not targeted by crooks or other villains.

Think about it.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:55 PM

141 posts, read 755,632 times
Hello, Nitrovic... I currently live in Lake Ridge now (thanks to your posts) and the close proximity to Dale City has never been a factor to me since it seemed like a very safe area (Dale City). However, after reading the police blotters in the Potomac News and hearing about the horrible murder at Popeye's, I am wondering whether or not Lake Ridge is going to be affected by the crime in Dale City. We have a 4 year old and we have been to that same Popeye's a few times..
Since you patrolled the area for many years, what are your thoughts? Should we pack up and move to Lorton (which seems to have low crime statistics?) or am I just a panicky Mom?

thanks

Old 01-26-2008, 08:02 AM

14 posts, read 94,042 times
Crime is everywhere. In most areas, the crime is not in the area, it comes to the area. My husband and I retired from the Military in 1996 at Fort Belvoir, VA and looked all over Northern VA to decide where we wanted to relocate. We made a permanent decision to move to Woodbridge, VA. Woodbridge, Dale City, Dumfries, Lake Ridge are all the same. Prince William County as a whole is now ranking with Fairfax County. If you research well enough, you will notice we are getting upper class stores and resturants here such as Wegman's, Harriet Teeters, Sweet Water, Bonefish, etc. Woodbridge is mostly a suburb area. So I think if you are looking for somewhere crime free, you won't find it. Its throughout the world.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:08 AM

14 posts, read 94,042 times
You're a panicky mom. I guess you haven't heard of any shootings in Lorton, Springfield, Alexandria, Fairfax. Just a couple of months ago, Soldier was found dead in her home on base. And remember the base is secured. You can't run from crime.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:24 AM

18 posts, read 104,547 times
Default My 2 cents....

MovefromFL - I wouldn't call you a panicky mom because that is unfair. If I had a dime for everytime someone called me overprotective and be wealthier than Bill Gates. I think what you need to ask yourself is are you happy where you are ? Is your child thriving ? Do you like your neighborhood ? How is your quality of life ? No doubt you have done countless hours of research on Nova communities; schools, air & water quality, crime , etc.... I get to do that every 2-3 years as we are active military. Joy-joy. And with that you probably picked the best fit for your family.
I have something to add to Talk2T- we lived on a military base with armed soldiers at each entrance. My neighbor CONSTANTLY left her car unlocked with her purse inside. AGAIN- NOT SMART. All in all it was a lovely place for families however one summer, a retiree was caught at our pool exposing himself to children. He was hauled away in cuffs. So even the appearance of living in a "safe" place is just that= appearance. My DH always said to me "the military is a cross section of America" Go with your gut.
My sister walks around with her head in the clouds, NEVER pays attention to her surroundings, where she parks, etc..... I think she's nuts. I've taught our kids to always be careful EVEN ON A MILITARY BASE; pay attention to their surroundings and TRUST THEIR GUT-if something doesn't feel quite right.
Nitrovic I would be remiss if I didn't thank you for your service.
Good luck to all, Keep the faith

Old 01-27-2008, 10:00 AM

Gypsy 14, thanks for your response.. I appreciated that!

Old 01-27-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2T4Homes View Post
You're a panicky mom. I guess you haven't heard of any shootings in Lorton, Springfield, Alexandria, Fairfax. Just a couple of months ago, Soldier was found dead in her home on base. And remember the base is secured. You can't run from crime.
Talk2T4Homes,

Since you are a real estate agent, I have a quick question for you. I have been telling my husband since it is a buyer's market and the houses have gone down in prices so much in Fairfax, maybe it is a better idea to purchase now in Fairfax than in PW County because of the 1st rule of real estate: location, location, location.

I do notice that Woodbridge is getting more upscale stores, etc.. but what concerns me is that if we ever decide that PW County is too much of a commutte, we will have a hard time selling. Please advise. Since we are new to the area, it is hard to make that assessment, but just based on the lack of close proximity to D.C., and the fact that FF County schools seem to have a better reputation, we just don't want to make a mistake that we may regret later by purchasing in Lake Ridge.

By the way, I do love living here and feel very safe where we live..and Lake Ridge seems very family oriented..

Just wanted to get your opinion..

Thanks

By the way, what city was it that the Soldier was found dead?

Old 01-31-2008, 02:31 AM

555 posts, read 2,701,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovefromFla View Post
Hello, Nitrovic... I currently live in Lake Ridge now (thanks to your posts) and the close proximity to Dale City has never been a factor to me since it seemed like a very safe area (Dale City). However, after reading the police blotters in the Potomac News and hearing about the horrible murder at Popeye's, I am wondering whether or not Lake Ridge is going to be affected by the crime in Dale City. We have a 4 year old and we have been to that same Popeye's a few times..
Since you patrolled the area for many years, what are your thoughts? Should we pack up and move to Lorton (which seems to have low crime statistics?) or am I just a panicky Mom?

thanks
Congrats on the move!!! That has been a worry in Lake Ridge since i moved there from the Dumfries area over twenty years ago. Lake Ridge and Montclair has always been the "jewels" in the eastern end of PWC. Now of course the west end has risen to be a nice area as well. No, i don't think Lake Ridge will be affected. The cops still see it as a "boring" beat area (which is a good thing) because not much happens there. The Popeye's issue appears to be an isolated incident. Anytime you have a large number of restaurants or businesses in a small area stuff like that will occur. Plus the schools in Lake Ridge are still good and the various HOA's are pretty strict. Lorton is nice as well, but i don't think it's much better than Lake Ridge.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:35 AM

555 posts, read 2,701,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy 14 View Post
MovefromFL - I wouldn't call you a panicky mom because that is unfair. If I had a dime for everytime someone called me overprotective and be wealthier than Bill Gates. I think what you need to ask yourself is are you happy where you are ? Is your child thriving ? Do you like your neighborhood ? How is your quality of life ? No doubt you have done countless hours of research on Nova communities; schools, air & water quality, crime , etc.... I get to do that every 2-3 years as we are active military. Joy-joy. And with that you probably picked the best fit for your family.
I have something to add to Talk2T- we lived on a military base with armed soldiers at each entrance. My neighbor CONSTANTLY left her car unlocked with her purse inside. AGAIN- NOT SMART. All in all it was a lovely place for families however one summer, a retiree was caught at our pool exposing himself to children. He was hauled away in cuffs. So even the appearance of living in a "safe" place is just that= appearance. My DH always said to me "the military is a cross section of America" Go with your gut.
My sister walks around with her head in the clouds, NEVER pays attention to her surroundings, where she parks, etc..... I think she's nuts. I've taught our kids to always be careful EVEN ON A MILITARY BASE; pay attention to their surroundings and TRUST THEIR GUT-if something doesn't feel quite right.
Nitrovic I would be remiss if I didn't thank you for your service.
Good luck to all, Keep the faith
Thanks for the thanks!! I was in the USAF as a cop prior to my civilian police job. I rarely responded to any "crime" type calls. Having said that, your DH is right. Just because somebody is military doesn't mean they are "good" people. Besides that, some military dependants (i.e.-kids) can be quite bad. I guess it's because mom and dad work long hours and leave on deployments for long periods of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia