Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:19 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times

Advertisements

I've worked in and around Woodbridge for nearly 30 years and you couldn't pay me enough to live there. Some areas are ok but Woodbridge in general is the pits. I'm not trying to insult the many good people who live there but Woodbridge is just not the place to be. RT 1 is a run down mess and many neighborhoods are as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 04:28 PM

555 posts, read 2,702,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis16 View Post
^ Yep, by nomeans are they wealthy. Upper-middle class mostly. The thing is that most of these families living there have made wise financial choices to live in nicer places rather than being the CEOs or whatnot. There's plenty of people around my block that make $100k+ but due to their kids,mortgage,other responsibilities are capable of showing it off like the prior. I currently live off of Mayflower Dr. in Thousand Oaks for reference. Townhomes go for around $160k nowadays due to the real estate situation, go figure.

Definitely the kids that live in Westridge are spoiled. Its a perpetual cycle it seems.
I don't know many families making 100K plus who live in the townhomes on Mayflower Drive. Furthermore, not all kids in Westridge are "spoiled".

Old 04-08-2009, 09:50 PM

413 posts, read 1,165,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
I don't know many families making 100K plus who live in the townhomes on Mayflower Drive. Furthermore, not all kids in Westridge are "spoiled".
Well I've seen plenty of families that are acquiring this much money before tax each year and I've lived on Mayflower Dr. for two and a half years now so I'd have to adamently disagree. Mayflower has always been a great starter home for young parents who eventually move to either Fairfax or Lynnwood, Springwoods, Westridge, Old Hickory Golf Club,etc.

Furthermore, let me reiterate what I first stated, I never said all. Just stated the general direction of things. Some Westridge families feel the need to flaunt their money more than others, hence the reason you have high school kids driving brand new $40,000 Bimmers and Mercedes.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:06 AM

5 posts, read 14,545 times
Default gun

i've recently bought a townhome near Antietam Elementary School. This forumn is very helpful since I do not know much about the area. Just wonder if I really need a gun just in case someone break into my home. I live by myself. Crime is now almost every where.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:00 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocodilecity View Post
i've recently bought a townhome near Antietam Elementary School. This forumn is very helpful since I do not know much about the area. Just wonder if I really need a gun just in case someone break into my home. I live by myself. Crime is now almost every where.

Without knowing you no one here can really answer this question. This is a decision only you can make. Are you prepared, both physically and mentally, to shoot someone in the event you feel your life has been threatened, or is being threatened? If you feel you can use the weapon WITHOUT hesitation then getting one, IMO, is a no brainer. If you think you may hesitate then you're only making the situation possibly worse.

Get an alarm or a dog. Or both. One thing to remember is that Burglars are generally cowards. That's why they are burglars. They do now want to see the home/business owner while they commit the crime. And fortunately most burglaries to homes occur during the day when the burglar hopes no one will be there. This is actually called Statutory Burglary. A burglary occuring at night typically doesn't happen often when it comes to homes. If it does this person may be drugged out and all bets are off.

One of the best/safest things you can do is to turn on and leave on lights outside your home at night. The area you just moved to is not a bad area at all.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:33 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Interesting to see this thread.

I have been living in Woodbridge for 15 years now. I live in the "Dale City" zip code but, in actuality, I am a true "stone's throw" from Montclair. I have never had any crime issues in my neighborhood or surrounding ones. The worse we've had is that someone took something out of someone's garage when they left their door open.

My mother, on the other hand, lives in one of the better Woodbridge areas. Springwoods to be exact. In the newer part in the back. Since the beginning of summer they have had the police in their neighborhood three times. The first was a massive breakin of parked cars. Busted windows, stolen stuff, etc. My parents have a garage so they were not affected. Their have been gunshots fired in the woods and police have come, there was some sort of crime chase in the woods, and then just last weekend, her neighbor's home was broken into. The owner came home and was beat up all while the theives were looking for his money. The fact that he had a Rottweiler did not deter them. There is always something going on in her neighborhood yet, on this site at least, it's always touted as one the "better" part of Woodbridge. I'm thinking it's not true anymore.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:34 AM

I would not hurt anyone even with words let alone shooting. I never fire a gun in my life. But the people who break in your house inherently are abnomal. Material stuff can always be replaced but once inside the house they could do crazy things to you or even kill you. Somehow I feel like we're just sitting duck waiting for something bad to happen. This is not the way to live our life. Maybe I am just a bit paranoid. I don't know.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:13 PM

Default gun for protection

probably what I've heard last week were gunshots fire referring to by ChristineVA. It happened in the evening but at that time I wasn't sure what it was. Sounded like fire crackers but now I think those were gunshots in Springwood area. In the mean time couple of my neighbors still insisted this is a nicer part of Woodbridge. One more thing, last week a teenage almost lost his dirt bike near Hedges Run. The youngters who tried to rob him even produced a handgun. Using handgun just for a lousy bike? That is way out of my head!!!

Old 09-06-2009, 01:50 AM

to ChristineVA: With all of the beating, dog barking etc...did the next door neighbors hear or see anything at all? Due to the proximity of the townhouses (i.e., sharing common walls) someone must have heard something and called the police?

Old 09-06-2009, 05:51 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocodilecity View Post
to ChristineVA: With all of the beating, dog barking etc...did the next door neighbors hear or see anything at all? Due to the proximity of the townhouses (i.e., sharing common walls) someone must have heard something and called the police?
As far as I know, no. I'm not even sure when it happened. Probably in the middle of the day when most people are at work. I know that my parents are at work all day and I'm thinking that's when it happened. The person who owned the house was not home when the burglary started but walked in on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia