Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 07:47 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,287,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuda673 View Post
Me and my parents gonna buy the house in VA 22193, street name Fairview. We like this house because its affordable price, we just dont know anything about this area.

I read thru this thread and it scared me! Can anyone please tell us is this a good place to buy a house? safe neighborhood? Thanks so very much and have wonderful Holidays!
It's one of those borderline areas. Not somewhere I would live but when I started out I also bought a house in what people believed was less than a desirable neighborhood. Was all we could afford though. Take the same precautions as listed above and be vigilant neighbors and you can do fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 07:04 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,463,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuda673 View Post
Me and my parents gonna buy the house in VA 22193, street name Fairview. We like this house because its affordable price, we just dont know anything about this area.

I read thru this thread and it scared me! Can anyone please tell us is this a good place to buy a house? safe neighborhood? Thanks so very much and have wonderful Holidays!
There's a Fairview Lane off Forestdale in Dale City. Dale City is a different zip code (22193) than Woodbridge, as is Lake Ridge, but both Dale City and Lake Ridge often get lumped together with Woodbridge.

As with almost any community, there are good areas and bad, and like most, the good areas in Dale City outnumber the bad ... by quite a margin.

I'm not going to tell you there's no crime - is there any community that has not experienced some kind/degree of crime? But in my 30 years of living in Dale City, neither my family nor anyone we know has been a victim of a crime while in Dale City (one friend was mugged in Fairfax County some years ago).

Forestdale is in the older section of Dale City - the houses on Fairview were built in 1968. They tend to reflect the building trends of the time - smaller than today's standards, and a fair number were built with brick. They tend to be a bit easier on the wallet, both with initial purchase but also things like property tax and utilities.

We lived on Forestdale for about three years, renting a smaller, 2-level brick home, prior to buying our first home. That was about 25 years ago, and we enjoyed our time there.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:27 AM

6 posts, read 13,275 times
Default Dale city or Lake Ridge 2011

Hi,

I was just wondering if someone could give me an update on the crime in Woodbride. I am currently a PG County resident(which sucks) and I am currently looking to move into my first home. I currently work on Capitol Hill and would be commuting back and forth to DC. I am single 20 something young woman with no kids, and looking for something just for me. I have seen a few homes online that I would like to check out. One is on FILARETE ST, Woodbridge, VA 22193, one on POHICK CREEK CT, Woodbridge, VA 22192, and there are also some condos communities on Devil Lane in the 22192 area. I just want to know which area is better or worst. Also taking into account my commute. I have read online reviews and spoke with a few people whom I work with who commute who live in 22191 and 92 area codes. But I getting confused and mixed signals. Alot of the threads I have read are older, so I would like to know what is in the NOW. I am telling myself that in can not be worst than PG County(even though I live in a decent area there now) but some areas of PG is now the new Southeast in my opinion, and taxes property taxes are unbearable for the school system and the corrupt government. I just want out. I want a diverse community with a mix of all racial backgrounds. I just do not want to put myself in a bad situation. Please help!!!

Old 01-20-2011, 08:25 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,525,684 times
Hoodbridge would be preferable to the bad and middling parts PG County. The nicer parts (Upper Marlboro, Laurel, College Park/Takoma/Greenbelt), that'd depend on job situation and house size/condition.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:56 AM

43 posts, read 132,337 times
I have lived in an apartment complex in the Lake Ridge area for half a year now. (Area code 22192.) I haven't dealt with any crime. Petty or otherwise. I have never been bothered, approached, or felt threatend.

My husband is in the Army and hasn't been home for the past 2 months. I am 24, female, pregnant, and temporarily living alone. I feel safe, and our apartment complex is quiet and well kept.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. It really isn't that bad, people.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:10 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,525,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHunny View Post
I have lived in an apartment complex in the Lake Ridge area for half a year now. (Area code 22192.) I haven't dealt with any crime. Petty or otherwise. I have never been bothered, approached, or felt threatend.

My husband is in the Army and hasn't been home for the past 2 months. I am 24, female, pregnant, and temporarily living alone. I feel safe, and our apartment complex is quiet and well kept.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. It really isn't that bad, people.
I have to bolster my self-esteem by putting down other counties.

Also in the absence of a true !*****hole, the less fashionable places fill in humanity's need for a ghetto, either to seek out or avoid.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:27 AM

7 posts, read 15,278 times
Woodbridge is 95% safe, only sketchy part in Woodbridge is around the narumsco plaza area where big lots is...Dumfries has some bad parts though like Williamstown and those back areas on Curtis rd...

Old 04-19-2011, 11:58 AM

7 posts, read 15,278 times
I lived in Woodbridge 16 years and only thing that ever happened to me was my bike being stolen...weird thing is the person returned it a day later...I woke up and looked outside and saw my bike back in my front lawn

Old 04-19-2011, 01:58 PM

23 posts, read 55,069 times
To the original poster of this thread....do yourself a favor and move to a nicer county like Stafford.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:04 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,287,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc032873 View Post
To the original poster of this thread....do yourself a favor and move to a nicer county like Stafford.
Considering the OP started this topic in 07 I would imagine they have already settled somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia