Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 06:36 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,735,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovefromFla View Post
However, the closer you get to D.C., the more violent and escalating the crime seems to be.
Uh, not exactly. Proximity to DC has nothing to do with the crime--and I've lived in the DC region for 10 years, including a stint in DC itself. (In NE, no less!)

Dave from Maine: It all has to do with income. Period. Far NW DC is very high income and overall quite safe. Same with N. Arlington--which is four miles from the White House. And Bethesda, MD. And the nicer parts of Alexandria.

Woodbridge is *nowhere near* DC. Oh, sure--compared to Fredericksburg, it's closer. But it's among the most far-flung suburbs. But that's kind of beside the point; it sounds like Woodbridge has nice areas and crappy areas--just like any other large jurisdiction, including Arlington or Fairfax or Alexandria.

If you want to avoid crime, start with the online crime stats, and then (as several folks have recommended here) drive around. Avoid areas with affordable housing nearby or stores that cater to lower-income folks (7-11s and fast-food joints).

The one exception to the income rule is burglaries. Smart burglars will target large homes on large lots, to reduce the likelihood of being noticed--like the houses in Great Falls, Va. But I think you're more worried about random violent crime. And that's easy to avoid. Just avoid the poor areas, especially at night. I know that sounds a bit harsh, but it's the honest truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 01:40 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,260,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Uh, not exactly. Proximity to DC has nothing to do with the crime--and I've lived in the DC region for 10 years, including a stint in DC itself. (In NE, no less!)

Dave from Maine: It all has to do with income. Period. Far NW DC is very high income and overall quite safe. Same with N. Arlington--which is four miles from the White House. And Bethesda, MD. And the nicer parts of Alexandria.

Woodbridge is *nowhere near* DC. Oh, sure--compared to Fredericksburg, it's closer. But it's among the most far-flung suburbs. But that's kind of beside the point; it sounds like Woodbridge has nice areas and crappy areas--just like any other large jurisdiction, including Arlington or Fairfax or Alexandria.

If you want to avoid crime, start with the online crime stats, and then (as several folks have recommended here) drive around. Avoid areas with affordable housing nearby or stores that cater to lower-income folks (7-11s and fast-food joints).

The one exception to the income rule is burglaries. Smart burglars will target large homes on large lots, to reduce the likelihood of being noticed--like the houses in Great Falls, Va. But I think you're more worried about random violent crime. And that's easy to avoid. Just avoid the poor areas, especially at night. I know that sounds a bit harsh, but it's the honest truth.
Just addressing your post regarding Burglaries. First off Burglars are never very smart. They target everything from apts up to large single family homes. The job I had in the PD sent me to hundreds if not thousands of Burglaries over 30 years and the big homes on big lots were probably the ones I rarely went to. Pick a crowded neighborhood with lots of homes crowded around each other with shrubs grown up above windows and you have the prime spot for a residential Burglary. Burglars like to blend in and they are less likely to blend in around big money homes. They need concealment and large homes on large lots rarely provide this.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:11 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,735,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Just addressing your post regarding Burglaries. First off Burglars are never very smart. They target everything from apts up to large single family homes. The job I had in the PD sent me to hundreds if not thousands of Burglaries over 30 years and the big homes on big lots were probably the ones I rarely went to. Pick a crowded neighborhood with lots of homes crowded around each other with shrubs grown up above windows and you have the prime spot for a residential Burglary. Burglars like to blend in and they are less likely to blend in around big money homes. They need concealment and large homes on large lots rarely provide this.
Wow, you probably know a lot about this then!

Makes sense that most burglars are probably not smart, or they wouldn't be burglars. I keep reading that most get in through unlocked doors. Was that your experience?

Great Falls is probably among the few areas of NOVA that does have large, secluded, *wooded* lots--so they do have concealment there, unlike most large lots in the DC area--e.g., McLean, Williamsburg, etc.

I've lived in neighborhoods in Arlington where the houses were fairly close together (at least moreso than some places) on medium lots (say 5000 SF), but no one let their shrubs block all their windows. So maybe because of that and/or burglar alarms, we didn't have a lot of burglaries. Plus there were more opportunities at the townhouses closer to the Metro.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Wow, you probably know a lot about this then!

Makes sense that most burglars are probably not smart, or they wouldn't be burglars. I keep reading that most get in through unlocked doors. Was that your experience?

Great Falls is probably among the few areas of NOVA that does have large, secluded, *wooded* lots--so they do have concealment there, unlike most large lots in the DC area--e.g., McLean, Williamsburg, etc.

I've lived in neighborhoods in Arlington where the houses were fairly close together (at least moreso than some places) on medium lots (say 5000 SF), but no one let their shrubs block all their windows. So maybe because of that and/or burglar alarms, we didn't have a lot of burglaries. Plus there were more opportunities at the townhouses closer to the Metro.
Police officers consider burglars cowards as they don't like to confront people like armed robbers do. Even in Great Falls a typical burglar with stand out. Their vehicles may stand out or the way they are dressed/look wil stand out. Plus fewer choices and as you alluded-alarms. Burglars do not like dogs, people or alarms. They know in well to do areas there is a good chance one spouse, usually the wife, will not work and be at home. In lower income neighborhoods usually both adults work. Signs advertising alarms are great as are barking dogs. Most of the burglaries were committed by breaking a window or kicking in a door.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:16 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,239,224 times
Quote:
How are rowhomes/townhouses in that regard?

Old 05-05-2011, 04:22 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,113,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I would think that really depends on specific details of the buildings and neighbors.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
You would think these would be targeted less due to the chance more nighbors might be home. Unfortunately, too many people do not pay attention to their surroundings and suspicious noises (breaking glass) does not warrant a look. I can't count how many birglaries I went to in townhome areas. Some people do look out for each other but most don't.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:40 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,239,224 times
Quote:
You would think these would be targeted less due to the chance more nighbors might be home. Unfortunately, too many people do not pay attention to their surroundings and suspicious noises (breaking glass) does not warrant a look. I can't count how many birglaries I went to in townhome areas. Some people do look out for each other but most don't.
Interesting, makes sense. Thanks for the perspective.

Yeah, I'd imagine noises you'd hear, you'd just assume were neighbors. Whereas living in a SFH, it would raise instant alarmness.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:59 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,113,806 times
Sometimes the neighbors are the problem. I lived in a townhouse in LA and the teenage kids who lived two units down had a habit of leaving gates unlocked and showed their friends how to break into the ground level windows. They weren't trying to encourage crime, they were just being dumb. A few weeks later, what a surprise--several of the other units started having burglaries.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,204 times
Default Crime?

Easiest way to research on your own is to just spend an hour or so going through the last 6mo to 1 yr of crimes in your area at:

Prince William County - Government / Police Department / Crime Info Center

All I did was open up each week and do a find for the zip I was interested in (22193). I then looked at the crime, being more concerned with random violence and group attacks along with property crimes.

In one hour of work I was able to ascertain that not one reported crime had occurred within 1 mile of our location in the last year.

I then simply chatted to neighbors for a bit to gauge how secure they felt.

I don't understand all the hate for Woodbridge, maybe I just have been lucky, but I have spent the last 6 months in Misty Ridge apartments (east of rt 1), and have not had a single issue. One of my neighbors too apartments down was held at gunpoint, so that is worth something. (She had left her sliding door open for a breeze late at night)

Take the time to look at the statistics -- Everybody I talk to seems to think Woodbridge is going to be built up considerably in the next 10 years or so, and as long as you make sure you research your area before you buy I think it'll turn out well.

Also as others have mentioned realize A's are closest to I95, which is considered the more dangerous areas which I agree with after looking at the crimes the last year. A good amount take place in the A's, B's, C's.

D's and E's are to the west across Dale Blvd

G's+ are across Minnieville.

For the most part people are correct -- as you go farther NW down Dale Blvd there is less crime, but there are some nice areas (F's I know of) that can be found closer to 95.

Finally I just want to say, this is NOTHING like the bad areas in Florida, Cali etc. I lived in central Maine for most my life and I feel just as safe down here as I did up there.

And to the cops, you will always see the worst parts of the city, please try to realize 99% of the time when you aren't called its a nice place to be.

TLDR; research at Prince William County - Government / Police Department / Crime Info Center . A's are on 95, G's across Minnieville, usually safer farther you go down Dale Blvd NW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia