Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:50 AM

555 posts, read 2,701,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
blessedinva - you are absolutely correct! in the really wealthy you never see people walking around, chatting with neighbors or anything - so sad really

And if I do see a lot of men hanging around just talking - it worries me - just ingrained in my culture - in my family men are always doing something - fixing the house, mowing the lawn, doing jobs around the house .....no one is ever just hanging out doing nothing
What??? Go to any community in Lake Ridge, people are always out walking their dogs, strollers etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 01:24 PM

413 posts, read 1,164,785 times
^ you forgot retarded cyclist riding on the road like they were cars. Hehe..

I think she said really wealthy also making Lake Ridge a far cry from that. Don't get me wrong, Lake Ridge is nice, but not that nice.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:56 PM

6 posts, read 23,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
The county had a huge problem with the "migrant workers" (also known as illegal immigrants) hanging out at the 7-11's on Rt.1. Some of them would make lewd comments to woman as they went into the store. Beyond that they would just throw trash all over the place. Go in the woods behind the Longview 7-11, it's a disaster. They also go the bathroom (both 1 and 2) in the woods as well. Those woods are owned by the church, which makes it even worse. Let's not be so naive that we think all people here illegally are nice, hard working people.
Nitrovic,
I'm editing this b/c I see you're a police officer. I don't have much experience with that realm- just what I know
living, and walking around as a mom in the area.

When I walk by the men at 7/11 they have always been respectful. (maybe I should be insulted...)

They do say "hello" and I say "hello" back. That's it.
I know they work hard because when I drive by I see people waiting for work from early in the morning until very late in the evening...for low paid work.

I have worked in high crime areas- well one- in social services, and honestly the type of person who became 'dangerous" or "antisocial" fits a different profile then men willing to wait long hours to work. You have to worry about people who do not want to work, who don't care anymore about anything. People like that are more drawn into crime.

In this area, you have people who don't have much money- but what they appear to have is stamina, patience, commitment to their families, and hope of a better life. These are good things.
When people no longer have hope or the possibility of finding work...then things have turned for the worse.

Last edited by blessedinva; 03-10-2009 at 11:14 PM..

Old 03-11-2009, 09:21 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,499,932 times
Nitrovic - Lake Ridge is a really wealthy area? I thought it was middle class.

I am talking wealthy as in large estate, Mercedes with driver, etc. - but - hey - I guess they are busy walking around there private estate and thats why I dont see them out and about.

Anyway - about illegal immigrants - one word - ILLEGAL - as in - not allowed to live or work in this country.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedinva View Post
Nitrovic,
I'm editing this b/c I see you're a police officer. I don't have much experience with that realm- just what I know
living, and walking around as a mom in the area.

When I walk by the men at 7/11 they have always been respectful. (maybe I should be insulted...)

They do say "hello" and I say "hello" back. That's it.
I know they work hard because when I drive by I see people waiting for work from early in the morning until very late in the evening...for low paid work.

I have worked in high crime areas- well one- in social services, and honestly the type of person who became 'dangerous" or "antisocial" fits a different profile then men willing to wait long hours to work. You have to worry about people who do not want to work, who don't care anymore about anything. People like that are more drawn into crime.

In this area, you have people who don't have much money- but what they appear to have is stamina, patience, commitment to their families, and hope of a better life. These are good things.
When people no longer have hope or the possibility of finding work...then things have turned for the worse.
I'm just going by some "calls" I responded to in reference to the cat-calling, drunks, drugs etc. I think the immigration policy may have scared off some of the riff-raff who were just hanging out there to hang out. If you go into the woods behind the Longview 7-11 and the Church on the Pkwy, you will see a bunch of empty alcohol bottles, baggies, condoms etc. It was not like that before the "day workers" started hanging out there. I have had some good interactions with the day workers over the years, most have been very respectful. Of course I have always had a badge and a gun on when we spoke. All in all I think they are good people who are VERY hard workers, but that doesn't hide the fact that some are here illegally and breaking the law by simply standing there. If that were a black or white group of men, they would be charged for loitering (they stand under the "no loitering sign) and arrested.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Nitrovic - Lake Ridge is a really wealthy area? I thought it was middle class.

I am talking wealthy as in large estate, Mercedes with driver, etc. - but - hey - I guess they are busy walking around there private estate and thats why I dont see them out and about.

Anyway - about illegal immigrants - one word - ILLEGAL - as in - not allowed to live or work in this country.
Depends what part of Lake Ridge. The Westridge area and the new golf course community behind Westridge has it's share of multi-millions dollar homes, Mercedes, BMW's etc. The large portion of Lake Ridge is simply middle to upper middle class. There are a lot of military officers and federal agents/GS workers in the area.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:51 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
Depends what part of Lake Ridge. The Westridge area and the new golf course community behind Westridge has it's share of multi-millions dollar homes, Mercedes, BMW's etc. The large portion of Lake Ridge is simply middle to upper middle class. There are a lot of military officers and federal agents/GS workers in the area.
I know these areas of which you speak. Maybe it's just splitting hairs, but I think it's rare to find true "wealth" or demonstrable wealth in Lake Ridge. I don't think those two areas (back part of Westridge and the Bacon Race Road and Golf Course areas) hold a candle to some of the wealth going on in Fairfax. We live in Prince William County but my daughter attends a private Catholic school in Fairfax. Many, many of these students come from wealthy families that I didn't even know existed. When I've taken her to their houses (tucked away in some off the path neighborhood), I'm like . It was a real eye opener.

While I think there are certainly some money makers in Lake Ridge, wealthy is just not a term that applies.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:55 PM

413 posts, read 1,164,785 times
^ Yep, by nomeans are they wealthy. Upper-middle class mostly. The thing is that most of these families living there have made wise financial choices to live in nicer places rather than being the CEOs or whatnot. There's plenty of people around my block that make $100k+ but due to their kids,mortgage,other responsibilities are capable of showing it off like the prior. I currently live off of Mayflower Dr. in Thousand Oaks for reference. Townhomes go for around $160k nowadays due to the real estate situation, go figure.

Definitely the kids that live in Westridge are spoiled. Its a perpetual cycle it seems.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:23 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,499,932 times
Ever hear that Chris Rock comedy routine about the difference between the rich and the wealthy - very funny!

Old 03-17-2009, 07:25 PM

208 posts, read 1,217,574 times
Woodbridge?

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Sperlings best places says.

Woodbridge, VA, violent crime, on a scale from 1 (low crime) to 10, is 3. Violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. The US average is 3.

Woodbridge, VA, property crime, on a scale from 1 (low) to 10, is 5. Property crime includes the offenses of burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson. The object of the theft-type offenses is the taking of money or property, but there is no force or threat of force against the victims. The US average is 3.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2012 at 07:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia