Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2007, 04:11 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,208,178 times

Advertisements

My family and I were going to move to the Boston area where the percentage of high school graduates going on to college is usually 90% and above. As a business move, N.Virginia would be better, but after looking at the percentage of graduates going on to college, and I mean from the supposed best high schools in Fairfax and Loudoun Counties, the highest was 87% going to college. Actually Loudoun was about 83%. I was shocked as many of the schools in these areas are usually in the top 200 high schools in the country! A great portion of the schools we were considering in the suburbs of Boston had usually 95% and higher going on to college. I found these figures on Homefair.com. Also, the class sizes in NOVA were double of those in the Metro West area of Boston. Any personal experiences that can be shared would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 03:11 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,489,966 times
In the northeast, you have many municipal school systems. In NoVa, you have county-wide systems. Clearly makes for larger schools and school districts, though not necessarily for larger class sizes. Larger districts incline toward greater diversity across socio-economic scales which may in turn have an influence at the margin on (particularly immediate) rates of enrollment in higher education...

Old 07-25-2007, 03:26 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,208,178 times
I wonder if the information on homefair.com was incorrect reporting most of the top high schools in NoVa have only 87% going on to a 4 year college? The test scores, according to greatschools were very good. Is there something missing between great scores but less going to college?

Old 07-25-2007, 03:44 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,489,966 times
I believe homefair's college-bound numbers are for the number of seniors who say they have plans to attend either a 2-year or a 4-year institution. That's a pretty squishy concept. Not sure I'd put so much weight on a few percentage points one way or the other. Could just be that kids in New England are more influenced by or susceptible to peer pressure than are kids in NoVa...

Old 07-25-2007, 05:11 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,398,723 times
As saganista noted, school systems in the Northeast are more localized. If we had such things in Northern Virginia, a McLean school system or an Oakton or Vienna school system would rival those that you see in Massachusetts. For the record, the number that I found at a countywide level for Fairfax County Public Schools is 89% of students going onwards to a two year or four year college, which is remarkable for such a large and diverse district.

I found different statistics on the percentage of students going to four or two year institutions. What I found, just looking at Fairfax County Public Schools is that the following high schools have over 90% of their seniors planning to go to a two or four year college, with generally between 70-80% planning on going to a four year and the remainder to a two year.

Thomas Jefferson - 98%
Lake Braddock - 94%
Oakton - 94%
Langley - 93%
Madison - 93%
McLean - 93%
West Springfield - 93%
Woodson - 92%
Chantilly - 91%
Robinson - 91%
Centreville - 90%

I wouldn't worry too much about a few percentage points in this regards. If the difference were incredibly pronounced, like 95% vs. 60% then I would say differently, but that's not the case for most of Northern Virginia's schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia