Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:08 PM

23 posts, read 61,865 times

Advertisements

Hello guys - I am trying to find bars/clubs/places where one can meet single women. I usually used to go to places like Ultra Bar, Park - but these places are now filled with 18, early 20 college going kids. And most of them are no interested in meeting someone new.

Any suggestions would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 07:38 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
I'm happily married, but I'm happy to pass on my long-unused expertise. ;-)

Skip the bars. If you want to meet attractive, brainy women who aren't "long-handled soil-tending garden implements," hit the art museum receptions, bookstores, dog parks, coffee shops, etc. At high-culture events, you'll see it's maybe 50% old people, 30% gorgeous young single women, maybe 10% non-elderly couples, and the rest are gay men. I.e.: The odds are in your favor.

They'll also regard you as a cultured, gainfully employed, stable gentleman--an impression you will alas have to maintain at least for a while, before you admit you actually live in Mom's basement and run a business selling Metallica t-shirts online. (Haha.)

Also, these days it seems like if you can find a coffee shop near a yoga place, that would be a good idea.

The torch has been passed. Good luck and godspeed, brother!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:28 AM

219 posts, read 472,077 times
Just showing up at busy venues, events or places doesn't really mix you in meaningfully, but getting involved in the community is how you meet people, including nice young women.

For example, if you take yoga, there will be a lot of women in the class, but the way to maximize your chances of meeting someone compatible to you is to get to know the people in that community by volunteering, participating in social opportunities, taking weekend workshops, going on retreats.

If you do the art route, you would probably need to do more than just show up at receptions, by again getting involved, cultivating an interest, actively socializing around it.

So my advice is pick some areas you think you could be interested in naturally, because if you get the ball rolling then meeting compatible ladies will be an organic part of the process.

Think outside the box and expand beyond the bars and clubs. Me and my dh met in a book related fashion. We are both big readers who are now married and like to go to libraries, bookstores, read a lot, talk about books etcetera. We actually did go on the same Lindy Promotions pub crawl before we met, and I even noticed him, but we didn't talk and only met several years later over this common interest.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:32 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Many people here have extolled the virtues of Meetup.com. The types of gatherings that people are suggesting can be found here...as well as more organized bar-hopping. If you're actually looking for a "meat market", I don't know if that's the most appropriate thing to ask about here but if you're looking for Miss (Could-Be) Right, then I agree that the bar scene is not the place.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:15 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Gotta agree with getting involved in something. Volunteering is a great way to meet someone (and you'll feel good about yourself too!) I volunteer tutor teens in low income housing in Arlington, and nearly all the tutors are 20-something women. The few young guys there are ADORED by the kids, and there's plenty of opportunity to talk to the women before/during/after tutoring, or at the happy hours and social activities planned for volunteers.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:24 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Be handsome. Be attractive. Don't be unattractive.

In addition to these things, work out and read newspapers, magazines, and books. Or, if you must skip one, skip the working out and read twice as much.

Avoid frustration and anger. Most men don't really like that, and women can detect it and will flee if you're not so good-looking as to just draw women from that.

Don't sign up for something you're not interested in only due to the female/male ratio.

Thing is, if you're not attractive or a good conversationalist, you'll find women will interpret your actions as creepier than they are. Often times, the difference between flirting and sexual harassment is how the woman interprets it (and I'm not talking about cases where a boss gropes a woman or insinuates she can sleep her way to a raise.)

Old 03-15-2011, 05:42 PM

4,436 posts, read 8,122,653 times
For the past few weeks I've been hanging out at the local Borders studying for a certification exam. I've noticed a lot of attractive college age girls there studying or chatting up with each other. Since NOVA has a lot of highly educated folks, I'm sure these gals would be quite the catch.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:55 PM

465 posts, read 928,079 times
Don't listen to the [people] who say you should avoid bars. People go to bars to socialize and hang out with friends.

Any normally socialized 20-something girl will like to go out and get drinks at a lounge or bar. Club girls, maybe.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-16-2011 at 08:39 AM..

Old 03-16-2011, 08:34 PM

23 posts, read 61,865 times
ALL - Thanks for all the advice. I think, I will try the Art route and Volunteering route. Any idea, where I can look for volunteering posiitons for Mclean, VA area?

Old 03-16-2011, 08:40 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnat View Post
ALL - Thanks for all the advice. I think, I will try the Art route and Volunteering route. Any idea, where I can look for volunteering posiitons for Mclean, VA area?
What are you interested in, volunteer wise? (Education, animals, children, elderly, homeless, literacy, poverty, skills based volunteering, etc?)

There's a craigslist section for volunteers. You have to wade through a lot of muck, but there are some good opportunities on there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia