Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:18 AM

957 posts, read 2,022,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I think the rules are quite clear. He was not using 66 to get to the airport. Ticket! This is just a way to try and circumvent the rules. If a judge allowed this then everyone will try it.
"Motorists traveling to and from Dulles International Airport on business are permitted to use I-66 inside the Beltway during HOV hours."

I've seen more specific laws than this not hold up in court. It doesn't say traveling "DIRECTLY" or "WITHOUT STOPPING". There was a big article in The Post a year or so ago about how the "on business" part of the rule isn't clear either. I know a number of people who, coming from Leesburg, Ashburn, etc, stop at the gas station on the airport property for a cup of coffee so that they can then use the access role, avoiding traffic and the toll. Here's the article:

When 'Airport Business' Is a Ticket to Less Traffic - washingtonpost.com.

I'm a rule follower, so I don't do those things, and it doesn't necessarily apply to the original poster, but overall, it is probably up the judge to interpret the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 09:42 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
"Motorists traveling to and from Dulles International Airport on business are permitted to use I-66 inside the Beltway during HOV hours."

I've seen more specific laws than this not hold up in court. It doesn't say traveling "DIRECTLY" or "WITHOUT STOPPING". There was a big article in The Post a year or so ago about how the "on business" part of the rule isn't clear either. I know a number of people who, coming from Leesburg, Ashburn, etc, stop at theA gas station on the airport property for a cup of coffee so that they can then use the access role, avoiding traffic and the toll. Here's the article:

When 'Airport Business' Is a Ticket to Less Traffic - washingtonpost.com.

I'm a rule follower, so I don't do those things, and it doesn't necessarily apply to the original poster, but overall, it is probably up the judge to interpret the rule.
It says "to" and "from" the airport. Those words are quite clear. When he exited at Glebe he was no longer going to the airport. He used 66 illegally and is now trying to get away with it. If he needed food, or gas, or whatever, he should do that before getting on 66 or on arrival at Dulles. If a judge allows this then everyone will do the same. 66 will become completely gridlocked, worse than it is now, with people all claiming to be going to the airport but just making a quick stop. Sorry, but I'm not buying this argument that the law is not clear. Looks like the cop didn't either.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:07 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It says "to" and "from" the airport. Those words are quite clear. When he exited at Glebe he was no longer going to the airport. He used 66 illegally and is now trying to get away with it. If he needed food, or gas, or whatever, he should do that before getting on 66 or on arrival at Dulles. If a judge allows this then everyone will do the same. 66 will become completely gridlocked, worse than it is now, with people all claiming to be going to the airport but just making a quick stop. Sorry, but I'm not buying this argument that the law is not clear. Looks like the cop didn't either.
All with airline tickets?

Old 05-13-2011, 10:15 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
This makes it look worse for the OP and the ticket will probably be upheld:

High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Systems

You are not permitted to use I-66 inside the beltway during HOV hours if you are going to the airport to eat, get coffee, get gas or any other reason other than boarding a plane or picking someone up at the airport.

Yes, the OP was going to the airport to board a plane, but the side trip to get food, and exit 66 to do so, would probably be considered a disallowed "any other reason."

Old 05-13-2011, 10:41 AM

564 posts, read 1,493,996 times
Any reasonable judge should just throw the ticket out. Now that doesn't mean that they will, but I think it'd be really petty to make him pay for that. I can't stand the whole attitude of "well, TECHNICALLY..." Who cares. It's not like he was trying to cheat the system, he was just frickin hungry. Cop should have realized that and been reasonable in the first place.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:03 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I agree - how many people have airline tickets leaving Dulles on a given day that need to drive on I-66 inside the Beltway? And as someone else pointed out earlier, they'd be allowed on the road anyway. It's just his stopping for food that got questioned.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 11,245 times
dkf747

I see your point, but I had a valid airline ticket in this case. I moved to the city a few months ago, and have never gotten on 66 to go to Dulles (although I have carpooled on it before).

I understand there are people looking to get out of HOV tickets and make up excuses, but in this case I read and re-read all the rules online and none of them specified anything to me that appeared that exiting would get me a violation. If someone is traveling from Point A to Point B and stop for gas or food, that stop along the way isn't a seperate trip in my mind. I see how the police or judges could interpret it this way, especially if there are thousands looking to abuse the system.

In my case, I printed my airline ticket, and i even pre-ordered the food that i was picking up from the restaurant (which was 1 mile from the exit). I had the restaurant menu printed out and tried to offer the airline ticket and menu as proof of what i was doing - but all he kept saying was nice try, which implied that he has heard this type of excuse before.
Anyway, all I am trying to say is that the no stopping rule is not intuitive - and if it is truly illegal, then it should be specified as such.

Last edited by onehaqq; 05-13-2011 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: error

Old 05-13-2011, 03:12 PM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,446 times
Just because stopping for food isn't a separate trip in your mind doesn't mean that it isn't a separate trip. I'm sorry you got the ticket, it's a bummer....maybe you'll fight it and it will get thrown out. Lesson learned though, now you know.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:01 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Actually, having the menu and having pre-ordered indicates that you planned to go to that destination, the restaurant, not that you just happened to exit during the HOV hours for food on impulse. Planning to stop, get your food, and then resume driving to the airport might be sufficient to qualify as two trips as you had two destinations and had to stop your progress to the airport in order to do so. That's why I think the officer said "nice try" with respect to counting both destinations as one trip, and that they wrote the ticket.

For fuel, you would have had a stronger argument in my mind, especially if the HOV lanes were slower than anticipated and your fuel dipped lower than is reasonably prudent to drive to IAD. Then again, that might not be a valid reason, either.

I would also contest the ticket, and see if the judge offers a settlement that's less than the fine. It's an interesting question, that will be settled one way or the other in court. I'm sorry that it happened, and you don't know what can happen when you contest the ticket, but I might be prepared to pay it, and be pleasantly surprised, than to think I would be able to have it dismissed, only to have to pay it.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-14-2011, 06:56 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Why not? It's easy to make a fake e-ticket. The cops aren't plugged in to the airlines reservations system to check if it's valid, yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia