Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 06:04 AM

509 posts, read 974,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
I'd rather have the partying/drinking concentrated to the event parking lot rather than at one of the shopping centers or bars in the area. There's also a lot of nice families living in that immediate area such as myself who would prefer the drunks stay away from us. So, I don't believe and don't think there should be a crackdown on tailgating. Please be responsible.
I sure hope this doesn't move the partying/drinking to some place like VA Gateway shopping center, for example. It doesn't seem like just cracking down on tailgating at the event will really increase safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 01:01 PM

273 posts, read 1,483,260 times
Jiffy Lube Live bans tailgating - The Washington Post

i guess it is true - hope everyone decides not to go to this place.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:52 PM

89 posts, read 179,005 times
They're gonna open gates AN HOUR before showtime?!?! Forget tailgating, there is no way I'd go there, with their one way in and out, and have to sit in all the traffic. Absolutely ridiculous. It's already a cluster getting into and out of there as is. This is just going to make it way worse.

And it's rather laughable they're trying to make it about public safety -- but still sell their alcohol inside. So, drink all (the overpriced alcohol) you want when you're buying their drinks, but drinking your own before the concert isn't safe? I'll be interested to see if the boycotts have any effect.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:06 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,239,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsEvie64 View Post
They're gonna open gates AN HOUR before showtime?!?! Forget tailgating, there is no way I'd go there, with their one way in and out, and have to sit in all the traffic. Absolutely ridiculous. It's already a cluster getting into and out of there as is. This is just going to make it way worse.

And it's rather laughable they're trying to make it about public safety -- but still sell their alcohol inside. So, drink all (the overpriced alcohol) you want when you're buying their drinks, but drinking your own before the concert isn't safe? I'll be interested to see if the boycotts have any effect.
I still believe safety is a factor. I also would not be surprised if this decision is being made at the request of PWCP. Some of these concerts were so bad with drunks/disorderlies and this was at the very beginning of the concert with them coming in from the lot. I also recall dealing with a number of people in the lots when I would work there that did not have tickets for the concert. Many would show up hoping to get tickets while in the lot which was damn near impossible for shows like Buffett and a few others. These people would still drink in the lot and of course wind up leaving once they couldn't get tickets. For those who have never worked in a LE capacity at this place then you have no idea what it was like behind the scenes.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:33 AM

273 posts, read 1,483,260 times
the police claim they will be there to enforce whatever the rules of jiffy lube live are. so doesn't sound like the decision was theirs at all. i still don't think it's a safety issue when the main thing they can say is drinking and driving - they are selling alcohol so it doesn't correct that problem. i've been for 6 years straight - i've seen a few people not have tickets to the show and usually end up getting them in the parking lot (i have had a friend back out before and had an extra in the lot). I have never seen anyone leave if they were there all day enjoying the tailgating atmosphere. if anything they'd stay in the lot and continue to hang out and listen to the show. still not any more unsafe than the people inside drinking during the show. the whole thing is going to backfire in their faces. most people drive a ways to get to that place and they sure aren't going to drive 2 hours sit in traffic an hour to get in the gates, see the show (these shows most people have seen several times before so the show itself is not why they go) wait another hour to get out of there and then drive another 2 home. the whole experience of this place to make it an all day event so you don't feel like its a waste of time going there.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:20 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,726,552 times
If you need to be drunk to enjoy the concert, then the actual show must not be worth the price of the ticket.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:36 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,655,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjennell View Post
the police claim they will be there to enforce whatever the rules of jiffy lube live are. so doesn't sound like the decision was theirs at all. i still don't think it's a safety issue when the main thing they can say is drinking and driving - they are selling alcohol so it doesn't correct that problem. i've been for 6 years straight - i've seen a few people not have tickets to the show and usually end up getting them in the parking lot (i have had a friend back out before and had an extra in the lot). I have never seen anyone leave if they were there all day enjoying the tailgating atmosphere. if anything they'd stay in the lot and continue to hang out and listen to the show. still not any more unsafe than the people inside drinking during the show. the whole thing is going to backfire in their faces. most people drive a ways to get to that place and they sure aren't going to drive 2 hours sit in traffic an hour to get in the gates, see the show (these shows most people have seen several times before so the show itself is not why they go) wait another hour to get out of there and then drive another 2 home. the whole experience of this place to make it an all day event so you don't feel like its a waste of time going there.
I've been to many concerts at various venues and, often, at the places that do not have tailgating, the "drunkeness" isn't as noticeable. I mean, really, how much are going to be able to drink paying those exhorbitant prices inside the gate.

The tailgating does cause, IMO, a lot of excessive drinking before the show. They are WAY more drunks at Jiffy Lube than there are at a Verizon show. It's easier to get more drunk in a parking lot with your own, inexpensive stuff than having to do it at arena prices.

I do think the short arrival time prior to the show is going to cause a problem because that place is a nightmare in and a nightmare out.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I still believe safety is a factor. I also would not be surprised if this decision is being made at the request of PWCP. Some of these concerts were so bad with drunks/disorderlies and this was at the very beginning of the concert with them coming in from the lot. I also recall dealing with a number of people in the lots when I would work there that did not have tickets for the concert. Many would show up hoping to get tickets while in the lot which was damn near impossible for shows like Buffett and a few others. These people would still drink in the lot and of course wind up leaving once they couldn't get tickets. For those who have never worked in a LE capacity at this place then you have no idea what it was like behind the scenes.
I read on the Facebook page for this that InsideNova will be reporting in an article that the PWC Police had NOTHING to do with this and the chief is "adamant" about that. It's looking more and more to be about greed than safety. They didn't make any policy changes regarding alcohol and consumption inside the venue...wouldn't they make changes there as well if they are trying to get rid of the drunks?

Also, I'm quite suprised about all the stories coming out now about the overabundance of drunk and disorderly people there. I've been to many concerts of varying genres (Rascal Flatts, Snoop Dogg, Linkin Park, DMB to name a few) so around a real *variety* of people from the time I was a teenager, and I (as a female) never once felt unsafe or that there were too many uncontrollable people wandering around. All the people coming out of the woodwork now with stories makes me wonder. The only complaint I heard prior to this was the problems with getting into and out of there.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:13 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,655,576 times
My kids were very entertained by 3 very drunk, lewd 30-somethings at the No Doubt concert. It was incredible. And they weren't the only ones.

My coworker's daughter got punched in the face and her teeth shattered at a 311 concert because she got shoved up into the guy in front of her.

There's all sorts of "little" stories like this they just don't really happen at other venues.

Overall it's not a big deal and I find the drunks kind of funny (so long as they are entertaining me and not hitting me!).

Old 05-18-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
My kids were very entertained by 3 very drunk, lewd 30-somethings at the No Doubt concert. It was incredible. And they weren't the only ones.

My coworker's daughter got punched in the face and her teeth shattered at a 311 concert because she got shoved up into the guy in front of her.

There's all sorts of "little" stories like this they just don't really happen at other venues.

Overall it's not a big deal and I find the drunks kind of funny (so long as they are entertaining me and not hitting me!).
I would venture to guess coworkers' daughter was in a "mosh pit"...I tend to stay away from those, as there are people 3x my size, jumping, pushing, and generally being violent with each other. They are pretty easy to avoid. If she just got randomly punched in the face, she should've filed a police report. Injuries from mosh pits are pretty numerous regardless of the venue, which is why I won't go near them.

Loud drunk people that aren't physically bothering anyone are just pure entertainment for me as well, but maybe I just have more a tolerance for it and fully expect to see people being louder and more obnoxious at those kinds of events.

I haven't been to Wolf Trap in awhile, I went to see Lynyrd Skynyrd awhile back, but don't they not only let you tailgate, but you can BYOB on their lawn as well??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia