Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 07:33 PM

259 posts, read 511,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
According to wiki, the population of Howard county is only 14% black. That isn't a huge difference from Fairfax and doesn't even come close to pg county numbers so I just don't see how your theory holds true for that county when they have a population more akin to Fairfax than pg. I understand you have co workers that you know there but that's a small sample size and doesn't explain the rest of the population.

And as far as your assertion about the stats are you suggesting the blacks make money at the same level as whites? A few people you may know can't possibly represent an entire nation.
My "theory" is not limited to AA's. People usually like to live around people that are like them. Please pay attention to the word usually, there are exceptions of course. It's more of a familiarity/comfort factor than anything else.

You seem to be stuck on the whole "AA's don't make enough money" argument. So to answer your question no I'm not suggesting that they make as much money as their white counterparts. I will say this though...the DC, Maryland, and Virginia area is dominated by the gov't as far as employment is concerned, whether that be gov't employee or contractor. There is not as big a disparity between salary in the gov't between AA's and whites as it is in the private sector. It's not simply a matter of whether they can afford it, because many can, it's more about preference.

I see you totally ignored my comments about the Latinos, and you brought up some percentages. So let's play the number game here. Forget percentage, let's do raw numbers. This information is coming from the 2010 Census BTW.

Fairfax County. African Americans: 99,218 Latinos: 168,482
Arlington County. African Americans: 17,632 Latinos: 31,382
Loudoun County. African Americans: 22,710 Latinos: 38,576

By your assumption the reason why AA's don't live in the NoVA area is because of lack of finances. But if that were the truth please explain to me why/how there is a significantly higher amount of Latino/Hispanics living in NoVA area? Let's say that the earning power of the two minorities are the same for arguments sake. Could it be because there is a significant amount of Latinos in the area and that they have developed a sense of familiarity and support?? Hmmm. Could that also be the reason why African Americans live in or around the Maryland DC area? Hmmm.

I await your reply.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:05 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,028,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by still_waiting View Post
My "theory" is not limited to AA's. People usually like to live around people that are like them. Please pay attention to the word usually, there are exceptions of course. It's more of a familiarity/comfort factor than anything else.

You seem to be stuck on the whole "AA's don't make enough money" argument. So to answer your question no I'm not suggesting that they make as much money as their white counterparts. I will say this though...the DC, Maryland, and Virginia area is dominated by the gov't as far as employment is concerned, whether that be gov't employee or contractor. There is not as big a disparity between salary in the gov't between AA's and whites as it is in the private sector. It's not simply a matter of whether they can afford it, because many can, it's more about preference.

I see you totally ignored my comments about the Latinos, and you brought up some percentages. So let's play the number game here. Forget percentage, let's do raw numbers. This information is coming from the 2010 Census BTW.

By your assumption the reason why AA's don't live in the NoVA area is because of lack of finances. But if that were the truth please explain to me why/how there is a significantly higher amount of Latino/Hispanics living in NoVA area? Let's say that the earning power of the two minorities are the same for arguments sake. Could it be because there is a significant amount of Latinos in the area and that they have developed a sense of familiarity and support?? Hmmm. Could that also be the reason why African Americans live in or around the Maryland DC area? Hmmm.

I await your reply.
I wasn't trying to ignore your point about latinos I just didn't want to get off the main topic. Please go back to my original post, I actually mentioned the point of familiarity so I actually don't disagree. As far as the latinos is concerned, since you insist that address your point, has a lot to do with familiarity but it also has to do with convenience. A MAJORITY of the latinos living in nova are illegal immigrants who have benefited from being catered to. There have been reports o boarding houses, illegal mortgages being given among other things. To be quite frank nova has bent over backwards for them. If you could benefit from reduced housing payments, high levels of employment, good schools, and healthcare wouldn't you stay? It was only after pwc cracking down on the laws that they even began to move to me and even still many did not leave va altogether. If you look at the number of latinos that left pwc ( I know many still live there) and compare them to the increase of latinos in pg, you can see that many left out of inconvenience. By the way, latinos the fastest growing race/ethnicity in md and one of the highest in the country so do your number explain anything more than latinos have taken over this nation?

Old 09-02-2011, 11:14 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,337,472 times
There are plenty of AAs South of Alexandria along Route 1.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:06 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,537,406 times
I'd be interested in a basis for the claim that a majority of Latinos living in NOVA is illegal immigrants.

There is nothing to prevent an undocumented applicant from taking out a mortgage. There are in fact tens of billions of dollars worth of ITIN mortgages (issued to those without Social Security numbers and almost all held by illegal immigrants) and for most of the crisis years, they were among the best-performing market niches, defaulting at rates one-third to one-quarter those on SSN mortgages.

The PWC "crackdown" failed miserably. Not only was it expensive in terms of outlays, but the Hispanics who left the county were disproportionately business owners and Hispanics from other jurisdictions stopped shopping in PWC in droves, thereby impacting the revenue side. Not very many look back and think what a good idea THAT was...

Old 09-03-2011, 09:05 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,294,714 times
[quote=saganista;20725994]I'd be interested in a basis for the claim that a majority of Latinos living in NOVA is illegal immigrants.

There is nothing to prevent an undocumented applicant from taking out a mortgage. There are in fact tens of billions of dollars worth of ITIN mortgages (issued to those without Social Security numbers and almost all held by illegal immigrants) and for most of the crisis years, they were among the best-performing market niches, defaulting at rates one-third to one-quarter those on SSN mortgages.

The PWC "crackdown" failed miserably. Not only was it expensive in terms of outlays, but the Hispanics who left the county were disproportionately business owners and Hispanics from other jurisdictions stopped shopping in PWC in droves, thereby impacting the revenue side. Not very many look back and think what a good idea THAT was...[/quote]

I would disagree with you. I know many people who were glad to see this happen. I don't care about the cost to implement the program as it was needed. I was a PWC officer when this all occurred and it was definitely needed. I realize a few legal immigrants left PWC but it's possible they were ready to leave anyway. I am not anti illegal immigrant but things were getting out of hand. I have a sister in law who has been here for 15 years now from Honduras (legally) and she was fed up with all the issues with illegals in this county. Her family moved away from here.
It may not have been a perfect solution but an attempt was certainly needed.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:13 AM

4,476 posts, read 8,179,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The PWC "crackdown" failed miserably. Not only was it expensive in terms of outlays, but the Hispanics who left the county were disproportionately business owners and Hispanics from other jurisdictions stopped shopping in PWC in droves, thereby impacting the revenue side. Not very many look back and think what a good idea THAT was...
Yes it did fail as there are still plenty of illegals in PWC so it's not as effective as it could be... Still plenty of day laborers hanging out at the 7-11 on the corner of Route 1/Longview.

I've not heard of business owners leaving in droves. Do you have a data to back up your assertion? A Todos Market recently opened up in Marumsco shopping center. I'm pretty sure that caters to the Hispanic community so I doubt they'd open in the county if they knew they had a weak base. I also don't see a shortage of Hispanic looking people shopping in the area. I've not heard any huge movement to boycott PWC because of their illegal immigration stance.

As far as the original topic, no shortage of AA's in Eastern PWC. Just look at the local high schools and you'll see they have a more than healthy representation.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:16 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,117,265 times
In either case, I think the suggestion by Meatkins that the Hispanic population in MD only increased after PWC cracked down on undocumented Hispanics is questionable. I think he would be very hard pressed to support that with hard data.

We seem to be getting off-topic, though, unless the unstated premise is that more AAs could afford NoVa if they were not competing for scarce housing with Hispanics.

Last edited by JD984; 09-03-2011 at 09:59 AM..

Old 09-03-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by still_waiting View Post

I await your reply.
BTW your assertion about government pay is just not completely true. While government pay is similar across the board, promotions are not necessarily. Depending on the agency racism is very evident. Usda, for example, as a long history for racism (shirley sherrod). Pay is the same but promotions is not.

And also wanted to mention that some people are looking for black people who live in pg or dc to come and give their opinion. Well I'm black and I currently live in pg, even though I have lived in nova, and I'm giving you my opinion and the opinion of others that live near me.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
In either case, I think the suggestion by Meatkins that the Hispanic population in MD only increased after PWC cracked down on undocumented Hispanics is questionable. I think he would be very hard pressed to support that with hard data.

We seem to be getting off-topic, though, unless the unstated premise is that more AAs could afford NoVa if they were not competing for scarce housing with Hispanics.
More Latinos moving into central Prince George's County

This link kind of illustrates that point. I don't think the latino population grew alone from that but I think it played a major factor. If you look at oxon hill and how it has changed, you can see the visual evidence. I would also encourage you to look at the jump in school population at oxon hill elementary over the years.

SchoolDigger.com Mobile -- School Rankings, Reviews and More

Back to the topic and to your point, I think that premise has more to do with preference. If you can get more house for the same price while living near people who look like you then that plays a role imo.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:22 AM

855 posts, read 1,176,222 times
good question! My husband and I were in Richmond last weekend and definitely noticed how many more black american people there were. Growing up in the South, Northern Virginia is definitely an anomaly when it comes to black areas. Down there you know where to find black restaurants, salons, stores and shops, etc. In Fairfax, when someone asks all I can say when someone asks is, Maryland? Woodbridge?

Someone noted the statistics of blacks in Fairfax and I wonder if those stats include both African immigrants AND Black American people--blacks and Africans aren't necessarily the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia