Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 01:28 PM

227 posts, read 400,083 times

Advertisements

Most newly arriving Russians dont get how things work in the States.
If he is a from Moscow, he never dealt with any HOA at all.

But I dont see a problem to begin with - its your property? Tell him to f off.

Moderator Cut - English only, please, per the Terms of Service.

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-22-2011 at 05:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 01:38 PM

172 posts, read 330,974 times
RUSDC, you made my day... I am at work and just started laughing... Are you Russian?

Yes, unfortunately, anybody who comes to this country does not know its rules, traditions, etc. Hopefully, this person will learn soon. But it does take years to fully understand, adjust, accept. And some people can never actully change. But let's hope for the best!

Old 09-20-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusUs View Post
RUSDC, you made my day... I am at work and just started laughing... Are you Russian?

Yes, unfortunately, anybody who comes to this country does not know its rules, traditions, etc. Hopefully, this person will learn soon. But it does take years to fully understand, adjust, accept. And some people can never actully change. But let's hope for the best!

I am actually the guy who lives across from Caladium.

I have a team of russians digging the hill as we I type this.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:51 PM

When we are done with the stump, we can call that hill a Russian Hill.

just like in SF....

Old 09-20-2011, 02:13 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,122,102 times
There is no way in he*l that I would let that crazy fool onto my property and touch anything, much less a stump that he despises.

First, he is not a professional which has its own set of problems. Second, the roots, as you mentioned should remain since they help with soil retention: if there is anything to be done, it is to grind the stump down level with the ground. However, you already said it is growing in and just takes awhile. Third, what nerve he has for even asking that, insisting, and being pushy. Letting him have his way sets a precedent that he can bully you/anyone with his obnoxious ways.

The next time he says something, just say reply back something like, "No thanks. I already said "No" three times." And if he insists say, "Just leave it alone. It's fine. You got it?" or "Do you understand? Do you?!" and say it kinda mean. That way, his obnoxious ... should get the point that you mean business and that maybe he ought to wise up to Americans (i.e., leave us the ... alone when we say so and do not touch private property). Good luck!

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-20-2011 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: watch the language...

Old 09-20-2011, 03:38 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,180,673 times
Well, my gut is still telling me it isn't a good idea, so we've talked it over and for now we're going to pass on the offer. But, I also think I'm going to be pleasant about it. After all, I'm a mom who survived teenagers, I'm pretty good at being pleasant while still being iron firm. Also, I really do think this is just a matter of someone being new in the country. He may have a personality that rubs me the wrong way but I'll bet he thought he was doing a neighborly thing and doesn't quite get how things work here. Nothing I need to make a scene about, I just needed to bounce it off you guys to make sure I wasn't being a fool. (Hey, maybe I am.... but sometimes you just have to go with your gut).

Old 09-20-2011, 05:11 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,234,936 times
When I moved into my house, the first thing my new next door neighbor (nicest guy in the world!) said to me (ok, after he brought over vegetables and offered us use of anything in his shed at any time) was,

"If you ever have any issue with any tree on my property, go ahead and just cut it down. No tree or bush is worth ruining a good relationship with your next door neighbor".

While I agree that the OP has every right to do whatever they want with their own land and property, and by no means shoulf they cut down a stump because their neighbor wants it done; having an acrimonious relationship with your neighbors is never pleasant.

As the commecial goes, "not a sermon, just a thought".

Old 09-22-2011, 04:21 PM

414 posts, read 910,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Well, my gut is still telling me it isn't a good idea, so we've talked it over and for now we're going to pass on the offer. But, I also think I'm going to be pleasant about it. After all, I'm a mom who survived teenagers, I'm pretty good at being pleasant while still being iron firm. Also, I really do think this is just a matter of someone being new in the country. He may have a personality that rubs me the wrong way but I'll bet he thought he was doing a neighborly thing and doesn't quite get how things work here. Nothing I need to make a scene about, I just needed to bounce it off you guys to make sure I wasn't being a fool. (Hey, maybe I am.... but sometimes you just have to go with your gut).
Go with your gut. Turn him down. Its your property, and your stump. If no one else likes it, that is their problem. Private property is just that, private property. If he continues to insist, THEN maybe become forceful, and / or put up no trespassing signs.

You don't know him from Adam, so he really could be looking for a place to bury something. OR, he just may not know anyone is really IS trying to just be neighborly and trying to make friends in the neighborhood. Just no way of knowing. Better to be safe than sorry though.

To the person who suggested that you putting up no trespassing signs would / could possibly be inflammatory to any neighbor, I disagree. So what if it is? WHO CARES? If the neighbors don't like that, again, that is THEIR problem. Once again, private property is just that, private property and if someone wants to protect it from strangers by placing no trespassing signs and / or fences on it then so be it. Nothing anyone else can do or say about that, no matter how much they may dislike it.

Btw... I liked your pun.... stumped. LOL!

Old 09-22-2011, 04:53 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,762,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by United_Caps_Skins_Fan View Post
Go with your gut. Turn him down. Its your property, and your stump. If no one else likes it, that is their problem. Private property is just that, private property. If he continues to insist, THEN maybe become forceful, and / or put up no trespassing signs.

You don't know him from Adam, so he really could be looking for a place to bury something. OR, he just may not know anyone is really IS trying to just be neighborly and trying to make friends in the neighborhood. Just no way of knowing. Better to be safe than sorry though.

To the person who suggested that you putting up no trespassing signs would / could possibly be inflammatory to any neighbor, I disagree. So what if it is? WHO CARES? If the neighbors don't like that, again, that is THEIR problem. Once again, private property is just that, private property and if someone wants to protect it from strangers by placing no trespassing signs and / or fences on it then so be it. Nothing anyone else can do or say about that, no matter how much they may dislike it.

Btw... I liked your pun.... stumped. LOL!
Damn right!

Caladium, please let us know what you end up doing and how it works out.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:40 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,180,673 times
So far it seems to have resolved very peacefully.

After I wrote the last post, I spent a few hours pruning bushes out in the yard until I saw him. When I saw him I explained that we talked to an engineer about our hill (which is true by the way, it was my brother), and as a result had decided to leave the stump alone.

He was visibly frustrated but didn't seem surprised and seemed to accept it. We talked a little bit more bout this and that, and then we both had reasons to go off and do other things. I've seen him out on the deck since then and he doesn't seem to be glaring at the stump anymore--now he reads the paper.

...and then a boy in a banana suit came running onto the field and... (oh wait, that's another story!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia