Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 07:07 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,836 times

Advertisements

Hey, glad to hear it! Thanks for the follow-up.

I still hope your neighbors report him for cutting down all his trees. (Why move to a neighborhood with trees if you don't want trees? There are so many without them.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 07:22 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,292,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Hey, glad to hear it! Thanks for the follow-up.

I still hope your neighbors report him for cutting down all his trees. (Why move to a neighborhood with trees if you don't want trees? There are so many without them.)

Who would you report it to? I have a boatload of Oak trees in my large yard and have taken several down over the years since they were so close to the house. If he is cutting his own trees down I don't see a problem. I agree that taking trees down just because is dumb but still.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:23 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Who would you report it to? I have a boatload of Oak trees in my large yard and have taken several down over the years since they were so close to the house. If he is cutting his own trees down I don't see a problem. I agree that taking trees down just because is dumb but still.
Her HOA requires that people get permission before cutting them down. You can disagree with that requirement, but they all agreed to abide by it when they bought homes there.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:07 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,159,601 times
TigerBeer--I get what you're saying but the thing is people feel strongly about their rights to make decision about their own property. Sometimes renters don't share this feeling because they haven't experienced everything that goes with home ownership.

Since you have a small child, maybe it would make more sense if you thought of it this way. Think about how much you love your child, about how much time, work, and love you've put into that child, how your child's appearance is something that feels personal to you. You've made decisions regarding that child, and put great thought into them.

Now imagine someone you barely know walking up with a pair of scissors and saying "Your child's hair is ugly. I will cut it off for you."

Would you let him?

Maybe if this person was approaching you for an official reason, but I doubt you'd let your next door neighbor cut your kids hair just because he walked up to you one day and said your kid was ugly.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:46 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,292,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Her HOA requires that people get permission before cutting them down. You can disagree with that requirement, but they all agreed to abide by it when they bought homes there.

Then yes, cutting them down without permission would not be advisable. Guessed I missed that early. Where I live we have no HOA except for the road upkeep so I forget other places still has some of the rules.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:06 AM

87 posts, read 209,898 times
Don't let him do that. I would be worried about erosion. If you let him do it once, then he'll come up to you again saying he'll cut down your trees on your property or something else that your should do with your house. His behavior is extremely rude, don't let him "win". Like others said, put up a fence to prevent him from walking on your property, or just ignore him. He does not have a real job, he needs some proof that he is a "man".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia