Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 08:42 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,476,003 times

Advertisements

Our neighbors rent out their basement, but it doesn't bother me. They are Hispanic, but very nice. The only complaint I have about it is that they tend to take up the entire street parking, and occasionally will park in front of our house. My husband had to go over to their house and ask if they could move one of their cars - we were having a friend come over, and we needed that one space in front of our house. They moved it of course, no problems. Our house was a foreclosure and they were so used to parking in front of our property, that it took them a while to realize that two people actually lived in our home, lol! But there are always different vehicles parked out front or in their driveway.

We live in a very quiet neighborhood, quiet streets and whatnot, so at first it was unusual for us to see them parking with so many cars. But, we got used to it. One of the guys at our neighbor's house even volunteered to help fix our fence when he saw my husband ruining it outside, ha. I said sure, go ahead! It made his day. I wave to them when out gardening, it's all amiable.

The way I see it, they're friendly, we get along, and they're just honest people looking for shelter and family to stay with. IF we had a basement and say, my brother and sis-in-law (or my friends) needed to live with us, I'd gladly offer it to them. It's a nice gesture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 08:50 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,967,319 times
We shared our house with a couple for about a year. They were not criminals or illegal. They rented the house from us when we moved to Georgia. Then we decided to move back, but our tenants didn't want to move right away. We worked out an arrangement where we could share the house for a year. They were very nice people and good friends to this day. There are all kinds of situations that can happen.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:02 AM

722 posts, read 1,924,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
The only complaint I have about it is that they tend to take up the entire street parking, and occasionally will park in front of our house. My husband had to go over to their house and ask if they could move one of their cars - we were having a friend come over, and we needed that one space in front of our house. They moved it of course, no problems. Our house was a foreclosure and they were so used to parking in front of our property, that it took them a while to realize that two people actually lived in our home, lol! But there are always different vehicles parked out front or in their driveway.

It was very nice of them to move, but assuming your street is a public street, they have just as much right to park their as you do. Your friend could have just parked further down the street.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:13 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,476,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
It was very nice of them to move, but assuming your street is a public street, they have just as much right to park their as you do. Your friend could have just parked further down the street.
There was no parking further down the street. We live on a dead end, and neighbors park all up and down. There was no one in our neighbor's driveway, so they moved the car that WAS in front of our house, into their own driveway. Problem solved!

Old 10-04-2011, 09:15 AM

4,441 posts, read 8,141,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
While that's technically true, it is common courtesy not to park in front of your neighbor's house.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:28 AM

491 posts, read 1,171,549 times
Good to see some compassion here. It's a rough world, the economy the way it is. People can't always afford to pick up and go where better jobs are that wouldn't put them in a basement apartment. But they're probably working hard to get that apartment where sunshine comes in. As another person wrote, there are probably quite a few sub-standard housing situations out there, and that's the big ethical annoyance.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:40 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,615,393 times
I don't think people are allowed to rent out parts of their home in our neighborhood, but I still see it. My next door neighbor was doing this. Which I didn't quite understand, since the basement is not seperated by a door. They had single men in their with the couple and the 2 girls. I just didn't think that was very safe. They haven't had a renter in awhile (good IMO). The last renter who looked to be about 60 had a couple of fancy cars, a new one here and there... a Merecedes, Porsche, Infiniti and had a segway. I never understood why he was living in a basement! Worst part was that he covered the basement windows with aluminum foil! Of course most of my house looks upon the side that the had the foiled windows.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:47 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,622,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
The last renter who looked to be about 60 had a couple of fancy cars, a new one here and there... a Merecedes, Porsche, Infiniti and had a segway. I never understood why he was living in a basement! Worst part was that he covered the basement windows with aluminum foil! Of course most of my house looks upon the side that the had the foiled windows.
Some renters look at basement rentals for temporary housing while in the area for a job.. sounds like this may have been the case here or perhaps he was going through a divorce and needed somewhere to live for a while.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:03 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,732,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
VRE
What if it were you? People are entitled to have a roof over their head. Plus, in these times, it's another income for someone who may otherwise have to live in someones basement.
If the need for housing justifies the providing of any type of lodging, no matter where, then I should be able to set up a mobile home park or a tent city in our backyard.

I can understand why the OP is annoyed. And I'm someone who sympathizes with illegal aliens. (Let's be real; low-income native Spanish speakers packed into a basement almost certainly did not come here on a refugee (R), trafficking-victim (T), or other permanent visa.) I would come here too if I were impoverished and chronically unemployed. We all go where the money is. If you were jobless for months, out of money, with all your friends and relatives just as poor as you, and there was a high-paying job in Canada that you could do, if only you would go, you're a liar if you say you wouldn't.

At the same time, I can empathize with anyone who suddenly wakes up to find that there are suddenly another five or more additional cars on the street and that the drivers all go to work at 5AM. There's such a thing as renting out your basement--I have a relative who rents hers out to one Fulbright scholar at a time--but then there's renting it out AND exceeding any legal or reasonable occupancy level.

I'm sure the people renting the basement aren't bad people, but they shouldn't be allowed to be packed into a basement in a quiet neighborhood. There are low-income apartment complexes all over the place that have become de facto housing for illegal immigrants. It seems to work out for everyone.

I know it's not PC to suggest that income stratification in housing works better than mixing the poor among the non-poor--but it's the truth. There have been articles about how Section 8 recipients were better served in the old projects, where social services could reach more of them at once. In the suburbs, they're basically stranded, with no one nearby in like circumstances.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 10-04-2011 at 10:42 AM..

Old 10-04-2011, 10:26 AM

154 posts, read 374,450 times
To answer the original question, yes, it annoys me. Mostly because when you have an unanticipated large increase of vehicles in a planned development it inevitably results in illegal parking situations and conflicts over parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia