Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 05:46 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
One should give credit to the state GOP chairman as well as the conservative blog for calling out the inappropriateness of that. No matter who is in the White House or your views of them, placing a "bullet hole" in the head of a Presidential caricature is not cool.
I agree, I'm not a big supporter of President Obama, but I respect his office. I think things like this really draw the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 05:51 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
One should give credit to the state GOP chairman as well as the conservative blog for calling out the inappropriateness of that. No matter who is in the White House or your views of them, placing a "bullet hole" in the head of a Presidential caricature is not cool.
Well said. I agree with both your points.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:24 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Big deal. Democrats probably did some of the same stuff with Bush in office. It is funny how everyone is now afraid of offending/disrespecting the president because he's black. If he was white this would not even be news.

Damn. Mark this day on your calendars folks. Alanboy and I agree on something.
After 30 plus years in LE I would be extremely surprised if the SS get involved in this other than a cursory look. Bad taste is still not illegal in this country as it is in others. I think what these jerks did was moronic and idiotic but nowhere near illegal.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:43 AM

855 posts, read 1,172,614 times
Quote:
Big deal. Democrats probably did some of the same stuff with Bush in office. It is funny how everyone is now afraid of offending/disrespecting the president because he's black. If he was white this would not even be news.
Uhhh I don't think it has anything to do with the prez being black it's a matter of taste and respect for the office of the presidency. showing the prez with a bullet hole in his head is not a joke--how is that even funny?
I will say, I'm surprised it came from nova since the area seems to be a bit more progressive than the rest of the country.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:49 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
Uhhh I don't think it has anything to do with the prez being black it's a matter of taste and respect for the office of the presidency. showing the prez with a bullet hole in his head is not a joke--how is that even funny?
I will say, I'm surprised it came from nova since the area seems to be a bit more progressive than the rest of the country.
I didnt hear many people emphasizing this when Bush was in office. Suddenly once a man of color gets into office now it's about "respecting the office." Cut the PC c^#@.

Note: I'm an African-American and a Libertarian and think BOTH Bush and Obama have been inept at the office of president.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:49 AM

267 posts, read 511,680 times
Quote:
Yup. The dems and their cronies in the media/hollywood set the precedent that disrespecting the president was acceptable with their merciless Bush bashing. They can't change the rules now just because their man is in office. Sorry, the genie is out of the bottle.

That being said, the cartoon was still in bad taste and should never have been posted. Very poor decision.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:52 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHokie View Post
Yup. The dems and their cronies in the media/hollywood set the precedent that disrespecting the president was acceptable with their merciless Bush bashing. They can't change the rules now just because their man is in office. Sorry, the genie is out of the bottle.

That being said, the cartoon was still in bad taste and should never have been posted. Very poor decision
Probably bad taste but freedom of speech in the constitution includes that bad taste is protected.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:02 AM

267 posts, read 511,680 times
Quote:
Probably bad taste but freedom of speech in the constitution includes that bad taste is protected.
I concur.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:05 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHokie View Post

That being said, the cartoon was still in bad taste and should never have been posted. Very poor decision.
There seems to be a basic acknowledgment that there was poor taste and bad judgment here. It happens. It reminds me of Prince Harry dressing up as a Nazi for a party - you ask yourself "WTF was he thinking" and then conclude "he wasn't."

People responded quickly and appropriately; time to move on. Hate it when political consultants or partisans on either side of the aisle jump on anything as a pretext to push their own agenda when what's really needed are common sense and good manners.

Last edited by JD984; 11-01-2011 at 08:44 AM..

Old 11-01-2011, 08:08 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,194,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
time to move on. Hate it
A pattern of hate cannot be moved on from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia