Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:27 AM

17 posts, read 73,390 times

Advertisements

In regards to the metro fare increase, I just read this article at work yesterday and this is what it said:

Metro General Manager John Catoe is scheduled to propose fare increases next week to the system’s board of directors.

Here is the full article:

Local Funding burden falls on backs of riders
Joe Rogalsky, The Examiner
2007-09-06 07:00:00.0
Current rank: # 1,949 of 6,149
WASHINGTON - The lack of a reliable funding stream has significantly contributed to the budget problems that may force Metro to increase fares next year, a spokeswoman for the transit system said Wednesday.
Other transit systems across the country rely on money from a sales tax or other source to generate crucial operating funding not provided by passenger fares or government subsidies.
Los Angeles’ public transit system receives 74 percent of its operating budget from subsidies and a dedicated revenue source. Subsidies from state and local governments account for just 40 percent of Metro’s operating budget, leaving the rest of the revenue burden on passengers.
“Every year we face a shortfall,” Metro spokeswoman Candace Smith told The Examiner. “We’re the only major transit system that does not have a strong source of dedicated funding.”
Metro General Manager John Catoe is scheduled to propose fare increases next week to the system’s board of directors.
Catoe also plans to press Congress for federal funding, preferably from a source such as a sales tax that would flow into Metro’s bank account instead of going through a legislative appropriations process.
His request will likely face opposition from conservative lawmakers who have fought other attempts to secure federal funding. Some legislators have questioned the transit system’s fiscal practices, especially after an Examiner report in April that found 125 of Metro’s train and bus operators, plus dozens of other hourly employees, earned more than $100,000 in fiscal 2006 thanks to hefty overtime payments.
“With the large amount of federal funds going into the Metro system, there needs to be stringent oversight of how the money is spent,” said Brian Robinson, a spokesman for Rep. Lynn Westmoreland, R-Ga., who sponsored overtime-restricting amendments to House legislation that provide federal funding for Metro capital projects.
The bill with Westmoreland’s amendments is nearing a vote in the House and would provide $1.5 billion over 10 years.
rogalsky@dcexaminer.com

Examiner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 09:53 AM

2,519 posts, read 3,422,435 times
The personal property tax on cars, etc. is not based on traffic or pollution. It is for services. All right. I can understand that.

When my husband received orders here, we were told that military personnel were exempt from this tax until a few years ago (when some politician realized they could still tax the military through a loophole in the wording of the tax policy--if the title of the car was held by both the military member and the non-military spouse).

I object to it because it appears that the policy was intended to exempt military families and it is no longer applied in that way. Please correct the information on this if I am mistaken.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:32 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,111,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVAGIRL View Post
I don't know how I hit a nerve by just mentioning that we have a car tax. I thought it was important to mention it. I didn't complain about it, just offered an example of what we pay.
Thank you, NVAGIRL. I was wondering why us mentioning it made it sound like it was a criticism. It's a fact and obviously, we still chose to live in VA over MD for many other reasons. I'm still waiting for our bill so I don't know how much we'll have to pay. Your examples were helpful to me.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:21 PM

207 posts, read 705,865 times
WOW, thanks for so much info. This board was very informative as I did not even know anything about a car tax. I am glad that it was pointed out as it's nice to be able to make an informed decision. Having said that, if it is only a couple hundred dollars I and it goes down every year based on depreciation, I would not be turned off to the area by it. Especially since that is much lower that 3.5 - 4% income tax.

I see a lot of suggestions for the West Springfield area. If anyone has any specific zipcodes that would be great. Also, someone brought up auto insurance rates. How do they compare to DC & MD. I would imagine in DC they are pretty high as that is a city and usually cities are more expensive.

Thanks everyone.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:21 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,516,035 times
Quote:
I don't know how I hit a nerve by just mentioning that we have a car tax. I thought it was important to mention it. I didn't complain about it, just offered an example of what we pay.
You didn't hit a nerve, and the car tax is certainly worth mentioning. However, it is just one among various means that local entities use to finance their provision of the services and amenities that all of us enjoy. As the words 'car tax' themselves actually misrepresent the nature of the tax, I sought to set out some generally pertinent background for the benefit of those who may not be familiar with it.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
In regards to the metro fare increase, I just read this article at work yesterday and this is what it said:
The article refers to a plan soon to be introduced concerning proposed future fare increases. Actual Metro fares have remained unchanged since July 1, 2004. Metro shelved a package of fare increases for the current fiscal year. They will need significant additional revenue next year from one source or another. If all the others fail to come through, Metro riders will be asked to pick up the entirety of that tab.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingnoelle View Post
When my husband received orders here, we were told that military personnel were exempt from this tax until a few years ago (when some politician realized they could still tax the military through a loophole in the wording of the tax policy--if the title of the car was held by both the military member and the non-military spouse). I object to it because it appears that the policy was intended to exempt military families and it is no longer applied in that way. Please correct the information on this if I am mistaken.
There are few who would claim that lawmakers in Richmond are all upstanding, fair-minded folks. It is entirely possible that they have finagled and loopholed their way to manipulating your particular situation into a tax-paying obligation. It wasn't my intent to suggest otherwise. I sought only to sketch out some of the material background on what the so-called car tax is, how it got here, and why it is so slow to go away.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:25 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,111,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylove76 View Post
I see a lot of suggestions for the West Springfield area. If anyone has any specific zipcodes that would be great.
For the most part, "West Springfield" is 22153. However, a general guide is to look at homes that fall under "West Sprinfield HS."

Old 09-08-2007, 10:27 AM

2,519 posts, read 3,422,435 times
Pennylove76--The zip code 22152 covers the West Springfield area closest to Burke (off Old Keene Mill). Parts of 22153 are also West Springfield, but some of the homes that are in 22153 fall in the Lee High School boundary (closer to Springfield Mall). You might want to go to the Fairfax County Public Schools website and look up the boundaries for elementary, middle and high schools. It is really helpful.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:05 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,693,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingnoelle View Post
The personal property tax on cars, etc. is not based on traffic or pollution. It is for services. All right. I can understand that.

When my husband received orders here, we were told that military personnel were exempt from this tax until a few years ago (when some politician realized they could still tax the military through a loophole in the wording of the tax policy--if the title of the car was held by both the military member and the non-military spouse).

I object to it because it appears that the policy was intended to exempt military families and it is no longer applied in that way. Please correct the information on this if I am mistaken.

There has been no change in the military exemption to the personal property (car) tax. Civilians are NOT exempt and never have been...even if the car is registered in the home state. So the simple solution is to title the car in the military member's name ONLY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia