Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 11:40 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
For the most part, "West Springfield" is 22153. However, a general guide is to look at homes that fall under "West Sprinfield HS."
Sorry for my mistake in my post. 22152 is West Springfield and 22153 has a mix. The more desireable areas are under West Sprinfield HS. Many listings will show the schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 08:04 AM

17 posts, read 73,341 times
Yes, 22152 is correct zip code. I live in Cardinal Forest neighborhood that is acessible by Old Keene Mill on one side and Rolling Road on the other...great central location esp. if you have kids. All three schools are less than 1 mile or so...Cardinal Forest Elementary, Washington Irving Middle School and West Springfield High School. Very family oriented, safe community.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:29 AM

20 posts, read 67,389 times
Default Response to inquiry about Burke VA

My husband was raised in Burke and has fond memories of a good neighborhood while growing up. Although he went to private school, the schools zoned as Burke proper are good and the Burke, but not Burke high school named Robinson is one of the best. One note here on location, make sure you are really in Burke and not some of the other "wanna-be" areas that call themselves "Burke".

Old Burke, or real Burke remains a planned community. Typical complaints I've heard are more about home owners associations regs/rules, etc...Although, it is more relaxed than some planned communities in NoVA, ie: Reston. Reston was a great concept that unfortunately, just can't work. High crime, high cost of living, that seem to just increase, all the while you can be sure if you paint your front door a shade color off from the approved brand & color you will get litigated!

Having worked in the schools in Fairfax County (although not in Burke) and as a single mom for many years w/2 kids in FCPS, I would consider the school district to be of outstanding quality!

One of my children attended a "Burke" school, Robinson which is highly recognized for it's IB diploma program. This school is actually zoned as Fairfax City but pulls from the Burke region. The other public high school with a very good reputation is Lake Braddock. Somehow a lot of kids from Burke proper go there. I would caution against West Springfield because the school zones are not among the best. Although West Springfield shares the same irony as Burke: what is called West Springfield can actually be "Burke", Fairfax or Springfield proper.

Fairfax Station is WONDERFUL, but a very pricey location. Ironically, I think it crosses school zones with Clifton and Fairfax!

Bottom line on schools, check on the "actual" area name and evaluate from there.

Centreville High School for example serves not Centreville (as one would think) but rather the areas of "Clifton" outside of Clifton proper. A lot of "Clifton proper" students go to Robinson, Chantilly High serves Fairfax city (technically) as well as Chantilly and part of Herndon, while Herndon High School serves part of Reston.

Whew! It confuses me and I'm from there!

My personal opinion on best value, education, location, etc....Little Rocky Run Community in "Clifton". Although I sold my home there 2 years ago and moved out of state, I did so after my kids were in college.

It is a planned community with a reasonable homeowners association, low crime and in a Very good school district for all levels k-12. For specific programs, it should still be in the district for Robinson HS for the IB diploma program (which is like a step up from AP in my opinion because it has at least the same standards as AP with the added bonus of an international curriculum). The base school is Centreville, also a good school.

The downfall of Burke, Clifton, Centreville and all western Fairfax areas is the commute. No way to get around it, it is HORRIBLE. Burke is not on the metro line, so expect a short distance but a long time getting to the metro, or an incredibly long and ugly drive if commuting by car. I think this is true however of all areas outside the beltway....but the other person brought up a good point with West Springfield. It is closer to the metro, but depending on your destination, a metro commute can involve transferring at the dreaded Metro Center or even Roslyn.....

I miss the area of Clifton (it was Centreville when I left) very much. It was all I could want for my kids, pets and myself! While my work commute was technically only 2.5 miles (or 15-20 minutes) because of pupil placement of my kids at 2 different high schools, my commute just in western Fairfax was actually about 1 hour long both ways. (25 minutes on average Clifton/Centreville to Burke/Fairfax and 35 minutes from Burke/Fairfax to Fairfax/Chantilly!) You do get used to it.

As far as crime goes I would think areas directly around or even nearer to the metro in western NoVA tend to have a higher crime rate. I don't know this to be a documented fact, but my husband, friends and I all noted this opinion separately.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:11 PM

207 posts, read 704,656 times
OK, guys I just saw this nice house in Springfield VA, but the zipcode is 22150, with a high school listed as LEE. I'm not sure what school district it is in...WOuld thisbe considered West Springfield? Or is this a place near the mall, where I should stay a way from.
Thanks

Old 09-17-2007, 05:41 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,014 times
I am not from here, but from what I have learned, 22150 is not considered West Springfield. Most people will tell you to stay away from Lee High School and the Springfield Mall area. We were. We know a family whose daughter graduated from there and did very well (they were originally from Chicago).

Investment-wise, we would not purchase a house in an area with a high school that has an iffy reputation with the locals if we thought we would need to sell it again any time in the next 10 years.

The Old Keene Mill Road/Rolling Road intersection and parts west are considered West Springfield. Not sure where West Springfield ends and regular Springfield begins.

This region has the most confusing patchwork of boundaries!

Old 09-21-2007, 03:29 PM

20 posts, read 67,389 times
Default boundaries/school districts (clusters?)

I would tend to stay away from Lee but if other factors pulled me there, I'm confident a good education could be obtained at Lee...to find the boundaries, or clusters as they used to/ still are? called, try FCPS Home Page Redirect Page
This should link you to a wealth of info.

Generally, a student can get a good education at any fcps school, it's all about the parental involvement and best program fit. I'd encourage any parent to talk frankly with their child's teacher/or admin about different services available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylove76 View Post
OK, guys I just saw this nice house in Springfield VA, but the zipcode is 22150, with a high school listed as LEE. I'm not sure what school district it is in...WOuld thisbe considered West Springfield? Or is this a place near the mall, where I should stay a way from.
Thanks

Old 09-21-2007, 03:35 PM

14 posts, read 94,042 times
When did you move away from Burke? Things may have changed a little.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Erw

6 posts, read 36,586 times
Default ZIPCODE for BURKE SCHOOL SYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolobee View Post
My husband was raised in Burke and has fond memories of a good neighborhood while growing up. Although he went to private school, the schools zoned as Burke proper are good and the Burke, but not Burke high school named Robinson is one of the best. One note here on location, make sure you are really in Burke and not some of the other "wanna-be" areas that call themselves "Burke".

Old Burke, or real Burke remains a planned community. Typical complaints I've heard are more about home owners associations regs/rules, etc...Although, it is more relaxed than some planned communities in NoVA, ie: Reston. Reston was a great concept that unfortunately, just can't work. High crime, high cost of living, that seem to just increase, all the while you can be sure if you paint your front door a shade color off from the approved brand & color you will get litigated!

Having worked in the schools in Fairfax County (although not in Burke) and as a single mom for many years w/2 kids in FCPS, I would consider the school district to be of outstanding quality!

One of my children attended a "Burke" school, Robinson which is highly recognized for it's IB diploma program. This school is actually zoned as Fairfax City but pulls from the Burke region. The other public high school with a very good reputation is Lake Braddock. Somehow a lot of kids from Burke proper go there. I would caution against West Springfield because the school zones are not among the best. Although West Springfield shares the same irony as Burke: what is called West Springfield can actually be "Burke", Fairfax or Springfield proper.

Fairfax Station is WONDERFUL, but a very pricey location. Ironically, I think it crosses school zones with Clifton and Fairfax!

Bottom line on schools, check on the "actual" area name and evaluate from there.

Centreville High School for example serves not Centreville (as one would think) but rather the areas of "Clifton" outside of Clifton proper. A lot of "Clifton proper" students go to Robinson, Chantilly High serves Fairfax city (technically) as well as Chantilly and part of Herndon, while Herndon High School serves part of Reston.

Whew! It confuses me and I'm from there!

My personal opinion on best value, education, location, etc....Little Rocky Run Community in "Clifton". Although I sold my home there 2 years ago and moved out of state, I did so after my kids were in college.

It is a planned community with a reasonable homeowners association, low crime and in a Very good school district for all levels k-12. For specific programs, it should still be in the district for Robinson HS for the IB diploma program (which is like a step up from AP in my opinion because it has at least the same standards as AP with the added bonus of an international curriculum). The base school is Centreville, also a good school.

The downfall of Burke, Clifton, Centreville and all western Fairfax areas is the commute. No way to get around it, it is HORRIBLE. Burke is not on the metro line, so expect a short distance but a long time getting to the metro, or an incredibly long and ugly drive if commuting by car. I think this is true however of all areas outside the beltway....but the other person brought up a good point with West Springfield. It is closer to the metro, but depending on your destination, a metro commute can involve transferring at the dreaded Metro Center or even Roslyn.....

I miss the area of Clifton (it was Centreville when I left) very much. It was all I could want for my kids, pets and myself! While my work commute was technically only 2.5 miles (or 15-20 minutes) because of pupil placement of my kids at 2 different high schools, my commute just in western Fairfax was actually about 1 hour long both ways. (25 minutes on average Clifton/Centreville to Burke/Fairfax and 35 minutes from Burke/Fairfax to Fairfax/Chantilly!) You do get used to it.

As far as crime goes I would think areas directly around or even nearer to the metro in western NoVA tend to have a higher crime rate. I don't know this to be a documented fact, but my husband, friends and I all noted this opinion separately.

WHAT ARE THE SO CALLED GOOD ZIP CODES FOR THE CITY OF BURKE, FOR THEIR SCHOOL SYSTEM?

Old 01-19-2008, 01:03 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erw View Post
WHAT ARE THE SO CALLED GOOD ZIP CODES FOR THE CITY OF BURKE, FOR THEIR SCHOOL SYSTEM?
Burke has only one zip code: 22015. That doesn't mean that other areas adjacent to it, including schools, are not good.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:43 AM

449 posts, read 1,393,428 times
"There are plenty of $800k-and-up houses. And there are plenty of people still trying to sell $500k houses for $800K. But there are also lots of nice homes in nice areas for a lot less than that."

This true for all of NoVA. Too many houses on the market still priced on values from two years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia