Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,817 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the area and found a house I really like but am unsure about the schools....Cameron Elementary and Twain Middle Schools in Alexandria, Fairfax County Schools. Does anyone have experience with these particular schools? I have looked at all the test scores and know they're not the "top performers" of FCPS, however I don't think they look that bad either. I've also looked at the demographics and realize that they (especially Cameron) are diverse both demographically and socioeconomically, with a high number of ESOL students and free/reduced lunch students. Diversity does not bother me at all, my concern is more about the overall feel of the school and if the focus is mainly on helping the ESOL students, leaving students with other needs overlooked. I am particularly concerned about what kind of support is available to students with special needs as two of my children have Asperger's (7th grade & 4th grade) and need some assistance.

Any input would be appreciated...I am driving down from PA on Monday to visit the schools, but would love to hear from other parents. If I hate the schools I am not sure what I'll do...it's weird, the boundry line is literally in the back yard of the house I'm looking at, one street over the kids go to Clermont. It's been so much to think about.... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 04:17 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,726,302 times
If you do not receive much feedback here on C-D, it may be worth your while to post your query on the VA Schools forum of the DC Urban Mom website. That subforum seems to have some decent posting/commenting activity.

ETA: And you can ignore my advice as I see you already posted there!

Old 03-04-2012, 08:25 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,587,780 times
I think no one is responding because you said you already know about the demographics of the school and that doesn't bother you, so there isn't much else to say. There are so many schools in nova that it's unlikely someone will have gone to those particular schools, and I'm not sure, but I think the demographic of this forum makes it even less likely.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,352 times
Small world.

I attended both Twain and Cameron. Cameron has a really good reputation in the neighborhood, but Twain was miserable. I don't know if that was because the school was awful, or because 8th grade is a generally miserable age. Twain is also the only feeder school for Edison HS.

Be sure to join us for our civic association meeting at the community center behind Cameron if you can. May 21st is our plant exchange, so come over and say hi, even if you're in Clermont Woods instead. We can get you all set up to start making your new place look like home.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,817 times
Thanks for the info SoverignVA...will be moving there in July and the kids will be attending Cameron and Twain. I'm hoping that our experience with Twain differs from yours...I was actually very pleased with them when I visited the school.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:24 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,094,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovereignVA View Post
Small world.

Twain is also the only feeder school for Edison HS.
That is going to change - FCPS reassigned students in the Edsall Park/Bren Mar areas of Springfield/Alexandria from Poe MS to Holmes MS starting in the fall of 2012, and those students were also reassigned to Edison HS from Annandale HS. Edison's enrollment had been declining, so this will increase the enrollment and maintain the school's ability to offer more courses, compete with larger schools in athletics, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia