Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 08:28 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I would argue that some guys have the game to get women at bars, but these guys wouldn't be asking their friends for help.
Depends on what your definition of "women" is, I guess. As far as I can tell, guys who have to rely on any sort of "game" at all are unlikely to actually end up with anything more than a string of hangovers.

On edit: The puppy-in-the-park thing does work to a point, but you have to wonder about long-term ego-deflationary effects as you start to realize that all these "chicks" find this absolute dog interesting, but not you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 10:57 AM

301 posts, read 691,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I would argue that some guys have the game to get women at bars, but these guys wouldn't be asking their friends for help.
+1

And please...if he goes to a bar...not OUTBACK. That is just horrendous. Knowing this guy's age would be helpful. If he's younger, he needs to do Arlington or DC. If he's older, then neighborhood restaurant bars may have to be the call (you'll often see cougars at places like Coastal Flats in Fairfax, Clyde's in Tysons, Bonefish in Centreville, or at the Reston Town Center). There's also that place in Tysons that used to be called eCitie.

While I agree that bars probably aren't the best place, it can definitely happen...two of my closest buddies met their wives at bars back when we were in our mid-20's. Fifteen years and 2 kids each later, they're both still happily married.

One other option: match.com

Old 06-29-2012, 11:00 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolli71 View Post
+1

And please...if he goes to a bar...not OUTBACK.
Yeah I'm thinking Outback is where the mini-van with car seat set goes to drink.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
There's also that place in Tysons that used to be called eCitie.
That would be Iris Lounge. eCitie was run by Paul Lucas, but he retired and sold it to his GM. The latter has made it into a sort of velvet-rope version of Buffalo Billiards.

Quote:
One other option: match.com
An especially good choice if you're looking to become a green-card sponsor.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:38 PM

301 posts, read 691,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
That would be Iris Lounge. eCitie was run by Paul Lucas, but he retired and sold it to his GM. The latter has made it into a sort of velvet-rope version of Buffalo Billiards.

An especially good choice if you're looking to become a green-card sponsor.
LOL. I think single people should add match.com (or whatever dating site) to their list if they want to meet someone....I think it's important to diversify. Again, just as I mentioned about bars...it may not be the best solution, but it DOES work.

I have 4 friends who met their spouse on match.com (actually one of them was from eHarmony). Three buddies of mine met their wives, and my female cousin met her husband on match.com. All 4 couples are still happily married and 3 of the couples have kids now. All of this occurred (including my 2 buddies who met their wives at a bar) in NoVa. And yes...all of the individuals involved were already US citizens.

The one interesting part is that, in all 4 situations, the female initiated contacted with the male. Three of the four females did not have public profiles b/c they didn't want to be contacted by a hoard of strange men. So for the OP's friend, he should just post his profile and then move on with his regular life. Any hits he gets from match.com would just be a nice bonus.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:58 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Not when you tell them that you're a single Daddy whose wife was eaten by a lion while you two were volunteering for Green Peace.
I think he could borrow a kid but pretend to be a "manny". That shows he's empathetic to kids but not necessarily ready for his own (essential for not scaring off the 20-somethings).

I know several people who met, dated, and married people they met on eHarmony and Match. OK Cupid seems to be hot right now too.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:06 PM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,402 times
I haven't read all the suggestions yet but the firts page already has some great ideas! The guy is probably late 20s/earley 30s...I'll have to ask. But, he is a DIA Police officer (fairly new one) and a really nice guy. I overheard him and another guy talking and the other guy was trying to give him suggestions, lol.....yours are much better.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:39 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
I haven't read all the suggestions yet but the firts page already has some great ideas! The guy is probably late 20s/earley 30s...I'll have to ask. But, he is a DIA Police officer (fairly new one) and a really nice guy. I overheard him and another guy talking and the other guy was trying to give him suggestions, lol.....yours are much better.
Tell him to forget about DC or Arlington. The women there generally go for white collar guys with advanced degrees.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
I think he could borrow a kid but pretend to be a "manny". That shows he's empathetic to kids but not necessarily ready for his own (essential for not scaring off the 20-somethings).
Totally unnecessary. The REAL secret is to ditch your silly manly after shave/cologne combo and slap on some Johnson's Baby Lotion instead. Even from ten feet away, it's potent molecules will mark you as easily being the most desirable man in the room.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:14 PM

231 posts, read 455,471 times
You could tell them you're related to Peter North. Given the expectations that many younger women get these days from the Internet, you'll be sure to get somebody to take the bait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia