Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:58 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,315,725 times

Advertisements

Dolley Madison is Route 123, and you can't see the silver line from mclean until you cross the intersection with Great Falls and cross the equally ugly 267. If you ask me, the parking lots that exist along 123 associated with old 2 story crappy and cheap offices are far more of an eyesore.

Luckily, the silver line might look bad today, but with good landscaping, proper building scale, alot of the "concrete monstrosity" of it can be reduced. Elevated rail in and of itself is not ugly, hell to many King St is one of the prettiest stations in WMATA, and I have to agree, it was well integrated. Nothing leads me to believe that it will be impossible to do the same with Silver Line through Tysons.

If life could be redone, a lot of us would have tried to scream as loud as the idiots who would save 10% of the project cost at the risk of exponentially more money from the revenue that could have come of all that additional right of way they took, but it is what it is. The delay had already been 20 years and if that opportunity that came with shovel ready cash from feds was not jumped on then it would have been another 20 years until politics would stop obstructing it again (just look to Phase 2 to see how that can happen).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 08:21 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
The tunnel under Tysons would have been nice, but it was not economically feasible at the time that it needed to be. The elevated tracks look worse today than what they ultimately will after the associated road and building and landscaping projects are completed. People who admire the Washington Monument today don't often think that it took 36 years to build, during most of which, it didn't look so hot.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:16 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
This madness in NoVA has to stop. I understand that there are projects that need to be completed, but it is ridiculous that every where you go, there is some type of construction going on. I mean in the past few weeks I've seen construction on I-95, I-495 near Alexandria and near Fairfax and now they are even doing work at night on Route 1 in Crystal City. Is it really necessary that all these of these projects have been be done at the exact same time? It's just make traffic worse and worse.
Just because you're able to complain on a internet forum doesn't mean that you should.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:53 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Just because you're able to complain on a internet forum doesn't mean that you should.
It was meant to be a discussion not a formal complaint.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:08 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
It seems like every major interstate in the Upper Southeast and Ohio is under construction based on my travels between Columbus, Cincinnati, Louisville, Charlotte, Knoxville and back to here over the last few weeks.

Going from Louisville to Charlotte: The Ohio River bridges project is starting so I-71, I-64, and I-65 were all under construction in Louisville, I-75 went down to one lane in parts of Tennessee, same thing with I-40 with one lane in parts from Knoxville to Asheville, I-26 had some construction.

Going from Louisville to NoVA via Ohio, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore: Parts of I-71 between Columbus and Cincy were down to one lane, I-70 from Columbus to Wheeling, WV down to one lane due to construction, BW Parkway one lane near New Carrollton thanks to construction.

Going from Louisville to NoVA via I-64 and I-81, construction on I-64 in Eastern KY, down to one lane AGAIN, major bridge on I-64 in Charleston, WV being worked on lane reduction, I-81 near Lexington, under construction land reduction, I-66 near the beltway under construction.

It ain't just here if you got all that.,

Old 07-01-2012, 06:35 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,315,725 times
Shovel ready... took 2 years longer than expected (because most people dont really understand the engineering process and all the work that goes into infrastructure design) but its being constructed now. I still think there are too many road projects, not enough passenger and more importantly freight rail projects happening, but in this country when it comes to inter-city travel, the more options the better.

Now when you talk about intra-city, thats when I become a highway hater

I agree with your assessment Dissenter, all of the northeast and midwest are building because construction costs will never again be this inexpensive until the next recession (yes the Silver Line, despite the ramblings of Bob Bruhn, is extremely affordable compared to if we wait for the recession to end and have to pay for growth era construction crews).

Old 07-01-2012, 06:58 PM

303 posts, read 591,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
It seems like every major interstate in the Upper Southeast and Ohio is under construction based on my travels between Columbus, Cincinnati, Louisville, Charlotte, Knoxville and back to here over the last few weeks.

Going from Louisville to Charlotte: The Ohio River bridges project is starting so I-71, I-64, and I-65 were all under construction in Louisville, I-75 went down to one lane in parts of Tennessee, same thing with I-40 with one lane in parts from Knoxville to Asheville, I-26 had some construction.

Going from Louisville to NoVA via Ohio, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore: Parts of I-71 between Columbus and Cincy were down to one lane, I-70 from Columbus to Wheeling, WV down to one lane due to construction, BW Parkway one lane near New Carrollton thanks to construction.

Going from Louisville to NoVA via I-64 and I-81, construction on I-64 in Eastern KY, down to one lane AGAIN, major bridge on I-64 in Charleston, WV being worked on lane reduction, I-81 near Lexington, under construction land reduction, I-66 near the beltway under construction.

It ain't just here if you got all that.,
Correct! DH and I traveled from VA to Illinois not long ago. There was not one state or city that we entered that didn't have road construction going on. Then we traveled to Louisville, KY from Illinois to visit other family members. Construction there too. Then returned back home a different route from KY to VA - more construction. It is not just NoVA.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:13 PM

707 posts, read 1,407,075 times
This is what happens when you procrastinate for too many years, these projects should have been done years ago, now we have to just suck it up and deal with it. The traffic in NoVa is stifling to say the least right now, you cant even travel on I95, especially on the weekends, its a nightmare! You have one major Interstate in Virginia going north-south that the whole east coast uses at all times, tell me thats not insane.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:31 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
So, we should begin the War on Construction Delays by constructing a duplicate I-95?

Old 07-02-2012, 09:11 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Sounds like some want infrastructure projects and maintenance, but only if it occurs at a snail's pace and preferably with workers who toil from 10 PM to 6 AM?

Progress is being made - portions of 495 that looked like pictures of Baghdad just a couple of months ago look much better now. And Metro is coming ... at least to Tysons/Reston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia