Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 08:38 PM

117 posts, read 233,366 times

Advertisements

"The place I'm looking for doesn't have to be completely free of democrats, just an enclave that has American values and won't freak out if I say something critical about our current president"

-- It seems to me that 'America values' as used above could easily be interpreted as describing the absence of "freak[ing] out" when one hears a critical comment about Obama. I would consider it an American value to respect the opinion of someone else that differs from my own. I find it interesting that most on this board assumed the worst possible interpretation of what the original poster might have meant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 12:46 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,151,164 times
I happen to be fairly conservative -- socially, economically, religiously and so on (and I immigrated to the United States to be free, not for personal economic improvement). I am also active in movement conservatism.

But I prefer to live in a "purple" area. Would I prefer that my side won elections more times than not? Yes, of course. But any area that is dominated by a political monopoly -- "red" or "blue" -- tends to breed corruption and cronyism, not to mention intolerable incompetence. A healthy dose of political competition, while cantankerous and tiresome, tends to keep each side honest and competent.

In that regard, I think Northern Virginia, especially the Fairfax-Loudoun area, is pretty healthy. This is a very diverse and competitive area, politically, and it benefits the area in many ways, both obvious and subtle. Besides, if one is determined to keep a certain kind of company, there are many groups, both physical and virtual, that cater to a variety of beliefs and causes. One does not have to live amongst carbon copies of oneself to enjoy this kind of camaraderie.

I do have one personal beef with the area though. Whenever I show up for a primary election, the person who greets me at the polling place always says " Democrat, right?" And I always end up looking annoyed and saying "No ma'am. Republican, please." Is there something about the way I look that pegs me -- wrongly -- as a Democrat for some reason?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:22 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post

I do have one personal beef with the area though. Whenever I show up for a primary election, the person who greets me at the polling place always says " Democrat, right?" And I always end up looking annoyed and saying "No ma'am. Republican, please." Is there something about the way I look that pegs me -- wrongly -- as a Democrat for some reason?
Yeah, ILD, you're probably gorgeous, so naturally we women would make that mistake! Just kidding to all.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:28 AM

464 posts, read 479,449 times
Move to be near your job not to an area where conservatives values are. You'll be dealing with traffic unless you going to metro it.

Anyhoo, Go Blue Virginia! oops did I type that? my bad

Old 07-16-2012, 01:39 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
You probably look rational and intelligent.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:54 PM

939 posts, read 1,893,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You probably look rational and intelligent.
Careful CAVA, you don't want to get the wrath of the ban hammer imposed on you.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:12 PM

727 posts, read 1,533,828 times
I went through this entire thread, and nowhere did I really see the issue of "family values" be addressed. I was greatly offended by this because I am a firm believer in family values, yet I tend to vote Democrat. I also go to church every Sunday, like to hunt, own firearms, and vote Democrat. What does that make me?

My outrage in regards to family values goes back to 2008 when Sarah Palin made the comment about visiting rural parts of the country and seeing the "Real America." What? That family living in a 4th floor walkup in Queens doesn't represent "Real America?" I can tell you that I've lived in rural America, and I've seen this country at it's worst: meth labs, underperforming schools, and racism make up a fraction of the issues of "Real America". This country is such a melting pot that you can't point to one example and say that it is the "Real America."

As for the OP being concerned about being jumped all over because of their political beliefs, I keep my beliefs to myself because I don't want to be jumped all over. I don't put an Obama sticker on my truck out of fear of being run off the road. If someone steers the conversation towards politics, I do what I can to change it. I will be more than happy to have a civilized discussion about why I support Obama and oppose Romney, but more often than not the opposing viewpoint acts like a child and begins calling me disparaging names; I learned this the hard way in 2004. This is not to say that the left is any better; I was ashamed to hear that Romney's bus got vandalized here in Richmond. Two wrongs don't make a right.

When this country learns to grow up and realize that there are opposing viewpoints, then maybe we'll be a better place. I think the right has some good ideas, and I am willing to listen, but again, until people can grow up I'm gonna keep my mouth shut.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:23 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Careful CAVA, you don't want to get the wrath of the ban hammer imposed on you.
Nah, it was said with a wink and a smile. I was making fun of a political party and not IDL.

It is rather amusing to hear people in this area say they keep their political beliefs to themselves considering we live in politics/policy central.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:45 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It is rather amusing to hear people in this area say they keep their political beliefs to themselves considering we live in politics/policy central.
Because many of us work in professions that require non-partisan (vs. bi-partisan) behavior.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:54 PM

881 posts, read 2,092,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrandall View Post
.... until people can grow up I'm gonna keep my mouth shut.
So says someone w/a multi paragraph rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia