Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 06:37 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I work for the military. The military is not as reliably conservative (and definitely not reliably Republican) as you might think. It seems to be at least an even split among the officers between Rs and Ds. Enlisted--they're trend more conservative but definitely more libertarian. Civilians who work for the military vary, but most of the folks I work with seem to be moderate to progressive.

I second car54's advice to keep your political views to yourself in any neighborhood. The Internet is one thing, but dividing neighbors up by political stripe just makes for tension and ugliness.

And I too would like to know what the OP meant by "American values." So if a guy loses a leg in A-stan but votes Democratic, you don't think he has American values? I hope that's not what you meant.
We have both Ds and Rs in my neighborhood and we get along just fine. I've not noticed the military officers here being politically extreme. Most seem pretty middle of the road. They realize their livelihood comes from the government and they send their kids to public schools. Don't know why they'd be as rabidly right wing as most current Rs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 07:08 AM

143 posts, read 335,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovatransplant View Post
The place I'm looking for doesn't have to be completely free of democrats, just an enclave that has American values...
Wow!
It's very telling that you can make a comment like that and remain completely oblivious to the fact that by doing so, you have insulted a large number of forum members.
Please don't move to the Falls Church area.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:12 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
I'm afraid you're wrong, Mr. "Deport Republicans."
I stand corrected. We now have a TWO-time, drive-by, troll-post. And as suggested above, maybe I was wrong as well about that fitting in just fine thing...

Old 07-12-2012, 07:17 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
Just wanted to echo the observation that people often come here looking for "progressive" or "liberal" or "gay-friendly" communities, and their requests are not generally met with admonitions about intolerance. One of the regulars here has a derogatory comment about Republicans in his profile. What's good for the goose and all of that.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:19 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Northern VA is famous for diverse neighborhoods and that includes diversity of political opinions. You'd probably have to go to Front Royal or further west to find a community where most of the residents share your political POV. Maybe some of the most western parts of Loudoun, but maybe not.

The best plan is to adopt the live and let live attitude that prevails here and enjoy the benefits of living in a swing state. Think of it this way, when your neighbors have many different points of view, everyone benefits because politicians will send lots of perks your way to try to win the most votes.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:26 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
Just wanted to echo the observation that people often come here looking for "progressive" or "liberal" or "gay-friendly" communities, and their requests are not generally met with admonitions about intolerance.
Got some examples? I mean for "progressives" and "liberals". So far as I know, "gay" is not a political position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
One of the regulars here has a derogatory comment about Republicans in his profile. What's good for the goose and all of that.
Read more deeply. The status line is not derogatory towards Republicans, but rather a sad commentary on the sort of ethnic-cleansing programs that the worst elements on the right-wing try to wave a flag over. I don't usually have to explain that to people.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:33 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
I made the reverse move one year ago (Northern Virginia to Roanoke) -- a decision I hope to rectify in the very near future -- and all I can say is that I'm not at all surprised by the OP's post.

You'll want to stay far, far outside the Beltway. Meanwhile, presumably you'll also be staying far away from historic Fire Station No. 1 tomorrow evening.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:37 AM

199 posts, read 333,964 times
You should move wherever you want in NoVa. Sure, you might be a political minority in places like Arlington and Alexandria, but it's not like those wacky liberals will do anything nutty to infringe upon your liberties, like telling you who you can and can't marry, or what you can do with your own body...

Old 07-12-2012, 07:40 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
My job in Roanoke was just relocated to Springfield, so next month I'm moving to the Northern VA. I've heard that Northern Virginia has become more liberal-minded in recent years (the state went blue in the 2008 elections), so I'd like to find a place that's more in line with my political views. Virginia used to be reliably Republican, but I guess those days are no more with all the transplants.

The place I'm looking for doesn't have to be completely free of democrats, just an enclave that has American values and won't freak out if I say something critical about our current president. I heard Woodbridge might be a place I'd like.

Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Usually people in this area find that shorter commutes are more valuable than political orthodoxy. You took a job in Springfield. You won't find an "enclave" of conservative Republicans who think they have a lock on "American values" for many miles around. Letting loose with invective about the current administration won't be an ice-breaker the way it might be in other parts of the state. More likely, it will be a fast track to alienating people, including many other Republicans. This is the region that handed the Senate election to Jim Webb because George Allen made idiotic comments calling a local, Indian-American graduate of a local high school a "macaca." You might want to keep that in mind as you consider exactly how you want to get acquainted with new co-workers and neighbors.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:51 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
People come on here all the time asking where black, asian, indian, whatever families should live. I do believe there have been requests for "progressive" areas.

Why is it different for someone to want to live among people with similiar opinions?...
The difference is that he insulted the group that he doesn't want to live with. I've never seen someone post who said they want to live with only other blacks, where there are no whites around who don't have American values or people who said they want to live with Asians, but they don't want any Indians around, etc.

I would have had no problem if he came on here asking for an area that is Republican or conservative. We have had people do that in the past and they were not met with any opposition. But the OP did have to insult Democrats by saying he wanted to only live in an area with only Republicans, "[that] doesn't have to be completely free of democrats, just an enclave that has American values..."

I always thought American values meant we accept all different types of people, silly me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia