Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 04:05 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovatransplant View Post
Virginia used to be reliably Republican, but I guess those days are no more with all the transplants.
For decades Virginia was reliably Democratic. There have only been 6 Republican governors versus 29 Democrats since reconstruction. Republicans did fairly well in recent years but current trends favor the Democrats as the pool of older, white, married, and less educated males in the state shrinks relative to the more progressive groups. That said, Western Prince William County would be a good place for you to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 04:47 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
People come on here all the time asking where black, asian, indian, whatever families should live. I do believe there have been requests for "progressive" areas.

Why is it different for someone to want to live among people with similiar opinions?

To the OP -- the easiest way would be to look at recent results by election district. Good luck.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:52 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
The problem in Nova is there are so many liberal implants, voting like they're in NY or CA, trying to mess up Virginia with more taxes and liberalism. Now look at them states, they're Broke! Thank you for not voting for Democrats.
LOL! The only reason that Republicans think government doesn't work is that they've never been able to get it to when they were in charge. Moderator cut: Personal attack

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-16-2012 at 12:49 PM..

Old 07-12-2012, 05:22 AM

9 posts, read 20,127 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned comment - personal attack removed from referenced post.

Comparing places by election results is a great idea. I'll definitely look into that.

Also, I've enjoyed my visits to Loudon (specifically South Riding) with their heavy military population, but that's probably too far from Work.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-16-2012 at 12:49 PM..

Old 07-12-2012, 05:48 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Also, I've enjoyed my visits to Loudon (specifically South Riding) with their heavy military population, but that's probably too far from Work.
I seriously doubt that. NoVA like most metro places are turning increasingly Democratic as the Republican party becomes more small town and rural in its appeal. You may also be surprised what will happen to the military over time as it becomes more dominated by women and minorities relative to white males.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-16-2012 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 07-12-2012, 06:00 AM

881 posts, read 2,092,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
How about keeping your political views to yourself....and hope the neighbors do the same?
An interesting concept, but something (keeping one's politics out of every thread) that is not done here by a few.

Back to the OP - NoVa, much like the balance of the Commonwealth, has a history of favoring lesser Federal controls, among other political viewpoints. That has shifted, however, with the massive expansion of Federal employees in the area - all w/the vested interest of more Federal growth, not less. As long as increasing the size & scope of government remains the hallmark of one political party, it is likely that party will see increasing support in the area.

For example, w/the move out of XOM and the (likely) purchase of the property by us (the Feds), look for more government workers, not fewer, in the central/west (traditionally conservative) sections of Fairfax County...

Old 07-12-2012, 06:01 AM

231 posts, read 455,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I seriously doubt that. NoVA like most metro places are turning increasingly Democratic as the Republican party becomes more small town and rural in its appeal. You may also be surprised what will happen to the military over time as it becomes more dominated by women and minorities relative to white males.
There will always be more, but its the proportion of Ds to Rs that matter.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:03 AM

199 posts, read 672,546 times
Quote:
You should find a heavy military population around Springfield, as its a short commute to Ft. Belvior, where much of the BRAC stuff is moving. They don't have enough housing for everyone, so it forces people off base. I imagine you will also find a heavy military population in the Woodbridge area.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:04 AM

939 posts, read 1,893,003 times
Quote:
Ahh, I'm guessing you're a veteran ? If so, there's plenty of those mixed all around these areas. I can suggest specifics if you'd like.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:32 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,724,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammann View Post
You should find a heavy military population around Springfield, as its a short commute to Ft. Belvior, where much of the BRAC stuff is moving. They don't have enough housing for everyone, so it forces people off base. I imagine you will also find a heavy military population in the Woodbridge area.
I work for the military. The military is not as reliably conservative (and definitely not reliably Republican) as you might think. It seems to be at least an even split among the officers between Rs and Ds. Enlisted--they're trend more conservative but definitely more libertarian. Civilians who work for the military vary, but most of the folks I work with seem to be moderate to progressive.

I second car54's advice to keep your political views to yourself in any neighborhood. The Internet is one thing, but dividing neighbors up by political stripe just makes for tension and ugliness.

And I too would like to know what the OP meant by "American values." So if a guy loses a leg in A-stan but votes Democratic, you don't think he has American values? I hope that's not what you meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia