Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 03:35 PM

147 posts, read 255,170 times

Advertisements

I can also recommend Cobb Theater in Leesburg, although sometimes it can get a little hectic on weekends. At least that is the way it seems when friends and I attend. Definitely get there early.

If you want your artsy-fartsy itch scratched and don't feel like traveling all of the way out to Shirlington, Fairfax's Cinema Deluxe at 9650 Main St Fair City Mall Fairfax, VA is decent, but don't expect too much.
It is very old and has about 5 very small theaters without big surround sound, but for the artsy-fartsy set it fits the bill and they get almost all of the big independent and foreign films. And there are a ton of old people there, but I honestly never had any trouble with them talking/unwrapping loudly. Old people also almost never pull out smartphones and gaze at the lit screens in the middle of the movie either.

The Uptown is also a great theater to see a big movie. There literally is not a bad seat in the house, it has a fantastic superwide screen, and it has a "real balcony" for those who know what I am talking about. They only have one screen however, so it only plays big movies so if they don't have what you want it could be weeks before they have something you may want to see. They also have no parking so it is either take the metro or street parking around the neighborhood and that can be pretty sketchy on some nights. (I actually missed out on seeing Vertigo there once and have never lived it down).

Also in DC is the E-Street Cinema. This is another smaller theater which plays independents and the like but it is newer and upper scale, and serves alcohol (beer and wine) - although it think it only serve's theater like food. It also has small theaters but decent screens (i.e. hotdogs, popcorn etc)
I am still waiting for Bow Tie theaters in Reston to get their act together and finish their "renovations" so I can start going back there sometime. They have been in renovation mode it seems like for years.
Great thread by the way.

PS - there is supposed to be a conservatory in Culpepper Va which is supposed to screen the great older movies from the 30s and 40s in what is supposed to be a really nice theater, but I have never known anyone who has gone. (it may be only open on weekends)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,672 times
I would just like to find a movie theater that doesn't blare the sound so loudly that your ears hurt. It used to be possible to emerge from an action movie without a headache and your ears ringing. Can you recommend such a theater? I find that the farther I get from a major metropolis, the more sensible the sound level is.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:02 PM

61 posts, read 160,012 times
I'm curious whether anyone has been to the Reston Town Center theaters since they've been redone recently. I've not, but it looks like it might be worth checking out ...

Old 11-11-2012, 09:41 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,317,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eerickso View Post
I'm curious whether anyone has been to the Reston Town Center theaters since they've been redone recently. I've not, but it looks like it might be worth checking out ...
I have, it was fine. The seats still smelled like new cars when I went and were comfortable. Didnt think any other parts of it were much better though.

My vote goes towards Angelika in Merrifield, call me a hipster or yuppie but that place is nice.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:00 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post

My vote goes towards Angelika in Merrifield, call me a hipster or yuppie but that place is nice.
I had never heard of this before so I just looked it up. It looks interesting and very nice. Is it expensive?

Old 11-11-2012, 06:55 PM

143 posts, read 335,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I had never heard of this before so I just looked it up. It looks interesting and very nice. Is it expensive?
Just saw Argo there. It's $13 after 4pm, $11 for matinee. I think it is $6 for movies that start before noon.
And $7 on Thursdays all day for 55+.
Really nice theater with comfy seats!

Old 11-12-2012, 04:25 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
It's in the new Mosaic District in Merrifield that we have talked about - where the new Target is.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:14 AM

448 posts, read 870,521 times
I visited Cobb Theater over the weekend with the kids. Best theater I've ever visited. Kids agreed.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:21 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
It's in the new Mosaic District in Merrifield that we have talked about - where the new Target is.
I never really paid much attention to it since I'm not too familiar with that area, but I think my family and I will have to check it out.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:39 AM

61 posts, read 160,012 times
I just read an article about the renovated Reston theater. Guess it's only partially completed but they expect it to be finished by Thanksgiving. According to the article, there are 11 reconstructed/refurbished auditoriums with stadium seating, digital projection, and 3D capability as well as an IMAX sized screen with 30,000 watts of sound. There's also a bar on the upper floor (they're currently awaiting a license to see beer and wine) as well as an upstairs outdoor patio set to open in the spring.

I can't even remember the last time I went to a theater to watch a movie, but it might be worth checking it out ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia