Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 12:27 PM

721 posts, read 1,209,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newvadad View Post
Noise ordinances are pretty clear. Police don't like wasting their time with nonsense and they will arrest people if they don't comply. Keep calling them and put your landlord on notice too. I'd be looking into placing pressure on the landlord too. They need to enforce the rules in the lease/contract and if they fail, you should have additional legal recourse.
The landlord did all he could. But the noisy tenants would not listen to him. He wants to evict them. But it's legal process that takes time, and that's what the landlord is trying to do, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 01:29 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Do you know them? What do they say? When do they sleep? If its during the day, that's when I'd get loud.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:57 PM

721 posts, read 1,209,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Do you know them? What do they say? When do they sleep? If its during the day, that's when I'd get loud.
I don't know them. They come out on the deck / balcony and start to chat and play music. Sometimes laugh out loud or even scream. Sometimes they run in their apartment like running in the football field in the middle of the night.

They party at night from 11pm-3am. They sleep at maybe 3am or 4am (after the party). They get up at 2 pm or 2:30pm.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:58 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,370,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAlbuquerque View Post
I don't know them. They come out on the deck / balcony and start to chat and play music. Sometimes laugh out loud or even scream. Sometimes they run in their apartment like running in the football field in the middle of the night.

They party at night from 11pm-3am. They sleep at maybe 3am or 4am (after the party). They get up at 2 pm or 2:30pm.
every night?

It sounds like a rundown neighborhood. I live in Alexandria for 10 years never had a problem. Have you tried talking to them?

Old 08-12-2012, 02:09 PM

837 posts, read 1,798,063 times
I'd call the cops non stop... Then proceed to turn my speakers towards their walls, turn on the Macarena as high as my stereo will allow, set it to repeat, and go for a nice long walk. Do this at 8am (or whenever the noise ordinaces in your area wouldnt take issue) every morning for a week, I bet they stop.

I had a similar problem years ago. No amount of talking or asking nicely would help. Calling the cops didnt. But a week of this did. I used to sit at Starbucks at 8am sipping a latte enjoying the mental image.

Edit: forgot pne detail; coordinate with the other neighbors - it'll drive them crazy if you can have it coming through both sides of the apartment slightly off timing like a bad echo. We did this by calling each other every morning at 7:59.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:30 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
I'd call the cops non stop... Then proceed to turn my speakers towards their walls, turn on the Macarena as high as my stereo will allow, set it to repeat, and go for a nice long walk. Do this at 8am (or whenever the noise ordinaces in your area wouldnt take issue) every morning for a week, I bet they stop.

I had a similar problem years ago. No amount of talking or asking nicely would help. Calling the cops didnt. But a week of this did. I used to sit at Starbucks at 8am sipping a latte enjoying the mental image.

Edit: forgot pne detail; coordinate with the other neighbors - it'll drive them crazy if you can have it coming through both sides of the apartment slightly off timing like a bad echo. We did this by calling each other every morning at 7:59.
This is pretty much what I was thinking too. If they aren't getting up until 2pm, you have plenty of time to run the vacuum, turn up the music, slam the cabinets....

Old 08-12-2012, 02:32 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
When I lived in Alexandria (the fairfax county one), the police responded to party at night complaints pretty well. They'd tell the neighbors that they were getting a warning, and if they had to come back that same night then they got a fine. It worked well. They even made the partiers on the deck and patio go back inside the house. However, in Alexandria city we never could get police to do anything about anything. I remember once a car was parked illegally in front of our apartment with it's car alarm going off for 48 hours. Not kidding. 48 hours of car alarm. The police said we'd just have to wait until its battery died. It was in a tow-away zone.
I guess the only way to get their attention is to rip the car tax sticker off of the window. Then, maybe, the police will do something about it. I mean that it just seems from the posts here, from time to time, that they are strict if you don't have a sticker, but ignore a blasting alarm for 48 hours.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:34 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Good question - I live in Alexandria. But the police offices who respond to noise issues are Fairfax County Police Department for my community.
You're in Fairfax County. Your post office is the Alexandria one, though.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:21 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
This is in Alexandria, VA.
I'm willing to wager that Alexandria has a noise law that is enforceable. Call the police and ask they enforce the law when they show up. If all the calls are unanimous then this makes it tough. Some judges don't like when the officers bring the charges w/o citizens willing to come to court to testify. You need to coordinate with the neighbors and all of you need to call the PD when it's disturbing the peace. Then ALL of you need to go to court, as many times as necessary. At some point the people will get fed up with the fines and the judge will likely keep adding to the fine if they don't stop. If you're unwilling to step up and testify then you have no one to blame but yourself. If the arriving officers will not take action call the communications section ask for the on duty captain to call you and ask him or her why action is not being taken. Call your city council and ask them for help and ask your neighbors to back you on all this.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:44 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
I'd also be willing to bet that if a drug sniffing dog went through their apartment on one of those nights, that would expedite the whole process instantly. Sorry, but anyone with a lifestyle like that, probably associates with those who probably dabble on the wrong side of that argument. "Hello, yes my neighbor next door is having another wild party, but this time I think I smell someone smoking smoking marijuana too."

As they say in the south - don't let the door hit ya', where the good lord split ya'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia