Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 07:51 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,525,785 times

Advertisements

Wow - if they stay up to 3 AM you know they are doing drugs. Too bad the cops wont bust them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 08:31 AM

513 posts, read 964,221 times
Same thing happened to me years ago when I live in Reston. People on both sides of me would play loud music with heavy bass from 11 pm - 3am a few times a week. What I did was, After I got up to go work I would turn my surround system all the way, subwoofer on max and play the DVD "Saving Private Ryan" and then leave. These clowns would get to hear D Invasion while they are sleeping. I did this 5 or 6 times until they got the hint.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:51 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,205,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Wow - if they stay up to 3 AM you know they are doing drugs. Too bad the cops wont bust them.
What evidence shows that nocturnal activity equals drug use?

Old 08-13-2012, 08:56 AM

15,462 posts, read 25,911,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAlbuquerque View Post
My community is not anywhere near the Old Town. My zip code is 22302. I did a search and found that I belong to Alexandria City County. But I'm not sure this is correct, because it's under the jurisdiction of Fairfax County (the police department that responds to noise issues is the Fairfax County PD. This seems a bit confusing.
This is something I have posted on before. To be clear: You do not live with in the city of Alexandria. You live in Fairfax County. What's confusing you is that your address is served by the Alexandria Post Office or one of its substations. Alexandria is just the postal address. You do not live within the defined borders of the city of Alexandria. I learned all of this when I lived in 22306, which is another part of Fairfax county with a post office served by the Alexandria Post Office. The post office does not decide city boundaries, however, their service crosses boundaries. This same problem happens in other parts of the DC area as well. You're not alone in being confused. This is the reason Fairfax County Cops show up. The noise laws of Fairfax County are the ones that apply to your situation. I hope that I made it clear. It takes time to figure it out.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:00 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,465,494 times
Quote:
My community is not anywhere near the Old Town. My zip code is 22302. I did a search and found that I belong to Alexandria City County. But I'm not sure this is correct, because it's under the jurisdiction of Fairfax County (the police department that responds to noise issues is the Fairfax County PD. This seems a bit confusing.
That's why I said look at the dotted line, not where the pushpin happens to be on the map.

I gave you two maps of the Alexandria City boundaries... are you in them? I'm not sure what more I can do other than asking for your exact apartment complex and/or address

At this point, I'm going to assume you're either in the "Golden Gate" apartments off Leesburg Ct, or you're in the "Bailey's Crossing" apartments between 14th and George Mason (both on north side of 7).

Last edited by snowdenscold; 08-13-2012 at 09:26 AM..

Old 08-13-2012, 09:07 AM

20 posts, read 46,424 times
Quote:
I guess another route to go about this would be if you own a car, who do you pay your personal property (vehicle) taxes to (either Fairfax County or to the City of Alexandria)? I guess that's another way to determine your jurisdiction. Ignore this if you don't own a car.

I'm pretty sure that if you are in the City of Alexandria then Fairfax County PD wouldn't have jurisdiction within the city's boundaries and vice versa. Unless I'm wrong, someone correct me.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:10 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,326,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
This is something I have posted on before. To be clear: You do not live with in the city of Alexandria. You live in Fairfax County. What's confusing you is that your address is served by the Alexandria Post Office or one of its substations. Alexandria is just the postal address. You do not live within the defined borders of the city of Alexandria. I learned all of this when I lived in 22306, which is another part of Fairfax county with a post office served by the Alexandria Post Office. The post office does not decide city boundaries, however, their service crosses boundaries. This same problem happens in other parts of the DC area as well. You're not alone in being confused. This is the reason Fairfax County Cops show up. The noise laws of Fairfax County are the ones that apply to your situation. I hope that I made it clear. It takes time to figure it out.
I'll bet if it had been city cops who responded instead, the "guests" would have been face down on the floor on the first call with guns pointing at them and K-9s sniffing their belongings.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:22 AM

3,308 posts, read 9,402,728 times
OP appears to live in the tiny sliver of 22302 that is not City of Alexandria. OP, if you just did a zip search and it placed you in City of Alexandria, note that not all of 22302 is in the City of Alexandria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenKinVA View Post
I guess another route to go about this would be if you own a car, who do you pay your personal property (vehicle) taxes to (either Fairfax County or to the City of Alexandria)? I guess that's another way to determine your jurisdiction.
This assumes the person knew their jurisdiction when registering their car. I know people who have mistakenly registered their car in the wrong jurisdiction.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:25 AM

721 posts, read 1,218,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
That's why I said look at the dotted line, not where the pushpin happens to be on the map.

I gave you two maps of the Alexandria City boundaries... are you in them? I'm not sure what more I can do other than asking for your exact apartment complex and/or address

At this point, I'm going to assume you're either in the "Golden Gate" apartments off Leesburg Ct, or you're in the "Bailey's Crossing" apartments between 14th and George Mason (both on north side of 7).
My community is not within the dotted line. Sorry I wasn't able to see the dotted line before.

snowdenscold said:
__________________________________________________ ____________________________
If so, you're in the City of Alexandria.

If not, you have an "Alexandria, VA" address and reside in Fairfax County. It sounds like this is probably you.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________

Then my location is in Fairfax County. Which city is this location then? I need a city name besides county name. Correct?

Last edited by LoveAlbuquerque; 08-13-2012 at 12:09 PM..

Old 08-13-2012, 12:22 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,465,494 times
Quote:
Then my location is in Fairfax County. Which city is this location then? I need a city name besides county name. Correct?
You don't need a city name except to put on your mailing address. For all governmental and administrative purposes, you reside in Fairfax County. The "city" (as seen on your address) is irrelevant.

You pay taxes to the County.
You go to County schools.
You have Fairfax County police.
You would go to Fairfax County court.
You register your vehicle with the County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia